Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amemoryoncelost

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 14, 2004
Not sure if this is the correct place for this, but here goes nothing...

I've been shooting video for a bike video for the last couple of months and will probably be shooting for another two or three at the least. I will be editing using final cut pro and will need to get something to edit on. I have a friend who is selling her G4 CUBE, 450Mhz with 512MB RAM. Would this computer be capable of editing a small amount of video for a promo/trailer?

Basically I wanna get a lacie external and put all the clips on that, edit a little until I have the funds for a larger Dual G4 in the next month or so and then put the lacie on that. In my head it makes sense that it will work, but I'm probably wrong since I don't have tons of exposure to powermacs and cubes.

Let me know your honest advice. Should I just wait an extra couple of weeks to find something on ebay/this site. Or should I go for the cube and use it for a few months and then move to the powermac?

jackieonasses

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2004
the great OKLAHOMA....
trust me i own the same one (exsecpt more ram) it has to be SMALL amounts. i did a imovie cause i have Fcp on my G5 it will do small amounts pretty well.

but dont get me wrong you can do it though...it wil lag but it will work if you don't do it professionally!

Horrortaxi

macrumors 68020
Jul 6, 2003
Los Angeles
It ought to be fine. You already mentioned a hard drive, which will be an absolute must. Lots of RAM will help--Cubes max out at 1.5GB.

The age/speed of the computer won't be an issue except for the instances where you're going to tax the processor--rendering effects or exporting the movie. Even that won't be too bad for the most part. It will just be slower than it would be on a faster computer. Doing cuts and moving things around (in other words 95% of your editing) will be just fine.

I don't know if you watch Jackass or CKY videos, but most of that was edied on a similarly powered Mac--and I'm almost certain they used iMovie (for the CKY stuff at least). So it's not all in the tools.

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
Maybe you could find an old 800MHz emac with the radeon 9000, those beasts can be overclocked to 1.33GHz with little effort. I think it would only run you $500-600.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.