Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

schulzmc

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 13, 2006
OK - so I got my Tom Tom Car Kit. Seems to be working great. Then - I discover I cannot have both my car stereo and the Tom Tom both connect with the iPhone via bluetooth. No big deal I figure. I'll just let the iPhone pair with the car and not the Tom Tom kit, thinking the only functionality the bluetooth adds is the hands free phone feature of the kit.

But just to be on the safe side I contact Tom Tom customer support and they tell me the bluetooth is necessary FOR THE GPS CHIPSET IN THE CAR KIT TO WORK. Huh? The main reason I got this was the better GPS in the kit. Why would they use bluetooth to connect to that? Why not the cradle in the bottom?

To thicken the plot - the Tom Tom "car kit tool" app (not the turn by turn Tom Tom app but the free "tool" app) registers a strong GPS signal when I attach the iPhone without a bluetooth pairing.

So - could customer support be wrong and the GPS chipset in the car kit is indeed working without bluetooth? Or does the turn by turn app itself use the bluetooth to connect? What do you all think?

Young Turk

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2002
OK - so I got my Tom Tom Car Kit. Seems to be working great. Then - I discover I cannot have both my car stereo and the Tom Tom both connect with the iPhone via bluetooth. No big deal I figure. I'll just let the iPhone pair with the car and not the Tom Tom kit, thinking the only functionality the bluetooth adds is the hands free phone feature of the kit.

But just to be on the safe side I contact Tom Tom customer support and they tell me the bluetooth is necessary FOR THE GPS CHIPSET IN THE CAR KIT TO WORK. Huh? The main reason I got this was the better GPS in the kit. Why would they use bluetooth to connect to that? Why not the cradle in the bottom?

To thicken the plot - the Tom Tom "car kit tool" app (not the turn by turn Tom Tom app but the free "tool" app) registers a strong GPS signal when I attach the iPhone without a bluetooth pairing.

So - could customer support be wrong and the GPS chipset in the car kit is indeed working without bluetooth? Or does the turn by turn app itself use the bluetooth to connect? What do you all think?

So what did you find out? I'm interested to learn how it ended up.

Young Turk

schulzmc

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 13, 2006
So what did you find out? I'm interested to learn how it ended up.

Young Turk

I sent a followup question to CS to confirm and have not yet heard back. But - if you put the iPhone in airplane mode (which disables Bluetooth and the GPS chipset in the phone) Tom Tom will not work outside the cradle but works well in the cradle. So it seems like the GPS chipset in the car kit is working without Bluetooth.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.