PDA

View Full Version : Kerry's new enemy

pseudobrit
Jul 31, 2004, 03:30 PM
Saudi Arabia on Friday criticized Democratic presidential challenger Sen. John Kerry (news - web sites) for "bashing" the kingdom when he called on the United States to cut its dependence on the Middle East nation's oil.

"Saudi bashing is not an energy policy," an official with the Saudi Embassy in Washington said...

The Saudi government does not plan to send an official response to Kerry, but the kingdom has expressed displeasure over past anti-Saudi comments by U.S. politicians, and the Kerry campaign is aware of them, he said.

link (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&ncid=1963&e=28&u=/nm/20040730/pl_nm/campaign_saudi_kerry_dc)

I'm glad to see the tyrant Kingdom of Saud is not fond of Kerry. This is one dictatorship I'm not afraid to alienate. Too bad Bush thinks the same of the nations of France, Germany and Russia.

skunk
Jul 31, 2004, 03:38 PM
I'm glad to see the tyrant Kingdom of Saud is not fond of Kerry. This is one dictatorship I'm not afraid to alienate. Too bad Bush thinks the same of the nations of France, Germany and Russia.
A very interesting dynamic could develop here. Here's hoping the Saudis continue to interfere in the election. Should do Kerry a power of good. :)

IJ Reilly
Jul 31, 2004, 03:59 PM
Wow, who could have guess that the Saudis would come out against Kerry. More evidence that Michael Moore is totally off base!

Sayhey
Jul 31, 2004, 04:31 PM
Let's see - Kerry vs. the Saudi royals - who do you think will win out with the American people? I'm with skunk, bring it on! Do you think there have been a few calls to Bandar "Bush" saying "kindly, shut the ******* up"?

pseudobrit
Jul 31, 2004, 04:33 PM
Let's see - Kerry vs. the Saudi royals - who do you think will win out with the American people? I'm with skunk, bring it on!

I can't tell you how many average Americans I've met who like Bush because he's not afraid to "kill them towelheads."

Oh, the irony.

themadchemist
Jul 31, 2004, 04:40 PM
If Kerry wins, oil's gonna be 80 dollars a barrel. ;)

zimv20
Jul 31, 2004, 05:27 PM
If Kerry wins, oil's gonna be 80 dollars a barrel. ;)
then maybe people will stop buying SUVs.

i have to think bush can't be happy about saudi arabia's statements. it might read as bush being cozy w/ the saudis.

3rdpath
Jul 31, 2004, 05:31 PM
sadly, bush is oblivious to the fact that the saudi's don't like him either...

they've rather expertly played both sides of the fence for a long time. they've happily taken our money, gladly fostered our dependence on oil and used a portion of the proceeds to finance terrorist activities.

Bobcat37
Jul 31, 2004, 05:38 PM
then maybe people will stop buying SUVs.

Or maybe car companies will get the ball rolling on the Hybrid SUVs that have kick-ass gas mileage. You know, some people pretty much need SUVs (like people who live through Colorado winters, hey, that's me). Now if you live in sunny California, you need a different excuse besides heavy winters and Rocky Mountains.

zimv20
Jul 31, 2004, 05:51 PM
i'll amend: maybe manufacturers will build and people will start buying higher mileage vehicles.

Ugg
Jul 31, 2004, 06:35 PM
Or maybe car companies will get the ball rolling on the Hybrid SUVs that have kick-ass gas mileage. You know, some people pretty much need SUVs (like people who live through Colorado winters, hey, that's me). Now if you live in sunny California, you need a different excuse besides heavy winters and Rocky Mountains.

Having grown up in the pre-SUV era in the Rockies of Montana I can ensure you that SUVs are not necessary accoutrements, rather expensive ego trips.

Ford's Hybrid Escape is due out soon, have you ordered one yet?

Bobcat37
Jul 31, 2004, 06:43 PM
Heh, what do you think I'm rich or something? I'm afraid I can't just go buy a new car because it helps the environment.

All I can say is that by the time I'm ready for my NEXT car, hopefully hybrids (or even something better, ala hydrogen) will be widely available and reasonably priced. If that is the case I will most likely get one (won't say definitely because you never know what things will be like)

Also, there are other reasons besides weather for having an SUV, like storage space (which I definitely use).

Does that satisfy you? :p

Ugg
Jul 31, 2004, 07:18 PM
Heh, what do you think I'm rich or something? I'm afraid I can't just go buy a new car because it helps the environment.

All I can say is that by the time I'm ready for my NEXT car, hopefully hybrids (or even something better, ala hydrogen) will be widely available and reasonably priced. If that is the case I will most likely get one (won't say definitely because you never know what things will be like)

Also, there are other reasons besides weather for having an SUV, like storage space (which I definitely use).

Does that satisfy you? :p

Ah, so at this point you're only paying lip service to the concept of highly efficient vehicles. That's fine but what is oil today, about USD44 per barrel? Better start shopping.....

Bobcat37
Jul 31, 2004, 07:25 PM
Ah, so at this point you're only paying lip service to the concept of highly efficient vehicles. That's fine but what is oil today, about USD44 per barrel? Better start shopping.....

If it goes to USD80, I'll buy a new pair of rollerblades ;)

zimv20
Jul 31, 2004, 07:55 PM
both pbrit and i drive highly efficient VW TDi's. i get about 40/60 mpg. in fact, i filled up two days ago, the first time since mid-june, when i was in southern IN.

i fault congress for not being man enough to stand up to the auto industry and mandate higher mileage vehicles. doesn't have to be huge, but a .5 mpg increase every two years would eventually make a big difference.