Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

allmIne

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2008
United Kingdom
That is... awesome!

Thanks for that! Between this, my eyetv and ACD, I really don't need to go downstairs anymore. Coursework just got that much easier ;)

Shoesy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2007
Colchester, UK.
Was starting to swear a little as I couldn't find any content using the search, the subscriptions don't seem to show up properly and my favourites didn't bookmark the new shows either.

But searched for Doctor who and the latest episode showed up in all of it's hour long glory! Quality is passable if not HD. If anyone can work out a good way of bookmarking them let me know- maybe I just don't get it at the moment.

(UPDATE) False alarm here- just found this had been uploaded by some naughty Americanman - sorry for the confusion! (/UPDATE)

Fun times.

Shoesy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2007
Colchester, UK.
ok - so I still cant work out how to view any of the 4od content on appletv. Getting the feeling it is not gonna be available on my ever more infuriating grey box.

:eek::apple:

Anybody have any more luck than me?

AppleMatt

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2003
UK
Only computers can access 4oD on YouTube: iPhone and the AppleTV are barred from accessing it.

So it's no better than the 4oD site.

What an absolutely pointless 'development'.

AppleMatt

Shoesy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2007
Colchester, UK.
you can watch 4oD and iPlayer through plex using plugins. i know that doesn't really solve your problem but figured i'd say it anyway.

It's a fair point - boxee on your atv may well be a way to go- just waiting for my beta invite before I jump through those particular hoops again.

:apple: 'It just works'

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
Only computers can access 4oD on YouTube: iPhone and the AppleTV are barred from accessing it.

So it's no better than the 4oD site.

What an absolutely pointless 'development'.

AppleMatt

It was never meant to be - it's not using the YouTube flash player even, because Channel 4 have contractually agreed with studios etc that they'll encrypt their streams using RMTPE to prevent stream ripping, and they very likely don't have the rights to stream to set top boxes.

Channel 4's player doesn't do the things it doesn't do on purpose. They only went on YouTube to show up in YouTube searches. That's it.

Phazer

AppleMatt

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2003
UK
It was never meant to be - it's not using the YouTube flash player even, because Channel 4 have contractually agreed with studios etc that they'll encrypt their streams using RMTPE to prevent stream ripping, and they very likely don't have the rights to stream to set top boxes.

Channel 4's player doesn't do the things it doesn't do on purpose. They only went on YouTube to show up in YouTube searches. That's it.

Phazer

That's interesting info, had no idea about that. Thanks!

AppleMatt

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.