Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Littleodie914

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
Hmm, not sure if this is just not very well known, or seriously under-discussed, but here I am, sitting in bed on my iBook, marvelling over this cool expose thingy. If you hold down the F10 key, it shows you all of the open windows for the frontmost application. Everyone knows that. But do you all know that if you press tab while holding down the F10 key, it switches to the windows of the next application? I did not... And if you hit tab while holding down F9, it switches you to F10 mode. Not a serious trick, but something that's pretty cool and could be of good use! :D

Simon Liquid

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2001
Iowa
Never saw that. It works good for me, unless I'm typing I like to work with left hand on the left of the keyboard and right on mouse and I have f10 mapped to middle mouse button.

DJY

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2003
Canberra AUST
As a new switcher I love F9, F10, and F11!

Knew the SHIFT trick - which I think is more visual and gimmicky that practical - but the TAB trick - VERY HANDY!
Thanks mate!

MacFan26

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2003
San Francisco, California
That is cool, I didn't notice it before. I did know about the tab slo-mo thing, but is it still supposed to work if you have the settings to hot corners? It won't on mine.

AmigoMac

macrumors 68020
Aug 5, 2003
l'Allemagne
I did notice it before... but

I use it with Command + ~ or < for german keyboards, as when you change windows in the same app.

I always thought it was a known feature :eek:

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
very nice! and here i was thinking that all of the features of Expose had been discovered. :D

also, you can F9 as well then TAB will switch you to the F10 view and change application windows.

and if you see an app that you wanted, and don't want to TAB thorugh all the other open apps, you can also use '`' that key left of '1'.

but nothing happens for me when i hold down shift?

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
Obviously it wasn't well known - as many here didn't seem to know it! ;)

A variant of this is Cmd-Tabbing while in Expose mode, so you can switch directly to "F10" mode for that application.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Thanks for the tip. Just found out about "/System/Library/CoreServices/Menu Extras" last night, and now this. My ignorance is constantly being exposed....

garybUK

Jun 3, 2002
I never really thought i used expose` that much, but when im at work (NT4) i always find i go for the F9-F10-F11 keys like its second nature. Good sign of something just working, when you use it without thinking.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
garybUK said:
I never really thought i used expose` that much, but when im at work (NT4) i always find i go for the F9-F10-F11 keys like its second nature. Good sign of something just working, when you use it without thinking.
I don't use expose all that much either, but I've never caught myself trying to activate Expose on a Windows machine.

andreasr

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2004
jsw said:
Thanks for the tip. Just found out about "/System/Library/CoreServices/Menu Extras" last night, and now this. My ignorance is constantly being exposed....

cool tip mate.. now how does one go and remove some of them again?

mac_gal

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2004
jsw said:

I went there and I was wondering ... what does this do? :)

I couldn't quite figure out how to use it ... do I drag the icons somewhere?

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Yeah, drag them to your menu bar. You've likely seen most of them before. The 'Eject' one, which was new to me, let's you eject the CD/DVD tray. Just command-drag them off again when you're done.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
So sorry - I'm an idiot and tired to boot. Double-click the .menu items to install them. Command-drag to remove...

Edit: Not all of them will do anything apparent. 'Eject.menu' should, though.

me_94501

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2003
garybUK said:
I'm the same way. I can no longer operate a computer without Exposé.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.