PDA

View Full Version : PowerMac G5 Dieing?

Ravernomina
Nov 19, 2009, 07:37 PM
I have a Power Mac G5. It seems When i turn on the computer. The Gray screen stays their Does not load the OS. And the Fans Run full Speed. Tried Install the OS again but the computer Freezes when getting this done. I think its a RAM problem but i really do not have a clue (i added RAM to it a while back). Anyone Have an Idea? Thanks!:apple:

cluthz
Nov 19, 2009, 07:47 PM
Insert the System DVD that came with the comp and hold down D to run hardwaretest on startup

prairiefire
Nov 19, 2009, 08:01 PM
My G5 ran the fan and finally failed after the radiator leaked out the fluid and the computer would not cool down. Constant fan and wouldn't boot up.

You might want to take off the cover and see if you can see the coolant underneath the radiator.

Ravernomina
Nov 19, 2009, 08:05 PM
My G5 ran the fan and finally failed after the radiator leaked out the fluid and the computer would not cool down. Constant fan and wouldn't boot up.

You might want to take off the cover and see if you can see the coolant underneath the radiator.

Thanks so far guys. I need all the info i can get. Its my Teacher computer and she is trying to get it running again (she does have a MacBook). But it was a Expensive machine and she does not want it dieing.. Give me all the info you got thanks!

rickvanr
Dec 22, 2009, 01:02 PM
Thanks so far guys. I need all the info i can get. Its my Teacher computer and she is trying to get it running again (she does have a MacBook). But it was a Expensive machine and she does not want it dieing.. Give me all the info you got thanks!

If it's a coolant leak, you're in luck. I wasn't using my G5 a whole lot anymore, and then one day I turned it on and the screen wouldn't turn on. Chimed up, drives spinning, but nothing else. Opened the case up and noticed some fuzzy orange/brown gunk under the processors. Panicked, quickly google'd 'G5 coolant leak'. Found its a rather common problem. A call to AppleCare and they were setting up an appointment for a local genius.

They said the repair would be free. Logic board, power supply and CPUs (dual 2.7 model). I was ok with that.

New parts came in, still wouldn't boot, so they're replacing it with a Mac Pro of similar specs.

Keep in mind the Dual 2.7 G5 was top of the line in it's time. I had the GeForce 6800 Ultra, Airport/Bluetooth and 8GB RAM (upgraded via third party over the years).

They're replacing it with a top end Mac Pro. Supposed to be getting a stock 8-core 2.93 GHz, 8GB RAM, Airport and Radeon 4870. Should be in, in 2-3 weeks. Guess that's when I find out if I'll get what was said over the phone.