Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jeremy.costa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 20, 2009
Hey Guys,
I just joined these Groups in hopes i could get some help. About a month ago my a friend spilled beer on my macbook. Now i have had experiences with spills before and im totally aware that you in most cases need a new logic board . now when it happened it turned off. I did not turn it back on. I just turned it over and let it dry out for a couple of weeks. After it was dry i did not tun it back on. i opened it and cleaned the few places there was corrosion with some alcohol i also replaced the keyboard and track pad that were basically ... well.. sticky. really i expected it to be really messed up inside but it wasn't. as i said there were only a few spots with a little bit of corrosion that i cleaned, Then with a whole lot of wishful thinking i turned it back on..... and it worked.And it has been working fine since ... however i have found some Bugs and i was hoping for some help. So here i go....

1. The Display does not reduce in brightness any more.
2. If i close the lid. where the computer would normally go to sleep it just stays on with the display not turning off. then if i open the lid the display is frozen. If i press the power button to turn it off the little box pops up on the display that says do you want to restart ,turn off,cancel. But i can't move the mouse around to choose a option. and non of the keys work. i can only hold down the power button until it turns off then restart.
3. Some video players do not work like vlc. they just error.
4. itunes cover flow does not work. there is no art in the cover flow section of itunes. it's just back.
. coolirus also does not work. the program that allows you to view picture online like itunes coverflow. So im thinking it may have something to do with the video card. ....

Anyway at the moment that is all i can think of right now. If some one could offer some help that would be great.

jeremy.costa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 20, 2009
Do you have warranty, or does your friend have any kind of insurance that would cover this accidental damage?

No i don't have warranty , it's about three years old. and my friend does not have any insurance. My question here is more about is there any ideas that doesn't involve warranty or insurance. Maybe it can be fixed? maybe it's a replaceable component. maybe someone has had this same problem?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.