PDA

View Full Version : Help i don't like the 4 Gen iPod!

Koree
Aug 1, 2004, 06:06 AM
AHHHH! I just had to say it! I think its ugly. :( The click wheel and that grey color just makes me cringe. I like my 3 Gen better! I'm even getting a 4 Gen with the cram and jam thingy and i'm gonna give it to my aunt! Comon whats wrong with me T.T Help!

In otherwords has anyone else felt this, and i really don't like the click wheel.

Koree

jacobj
Aug 1, 2004, 06:26 AM
AHHHH! I just had to say it! I think its ugly. :( The click wheel and that grey color just makes me cringe. I like my 3 Gen better! I'm even getting a 4 Gen with the cram and jam thingy and i'm gonna give it to my aunt! Comon whats wrong with me T.T Help!

In otherwords has anyone else felt this, and i really don't like the click wheel.

Koree

I disagree. I have just ordered a 4 Gen 40gb iPod (actually orderede it 2 weeks ago, but Apple are slow, as always). Anyway, I have a 20gb 2 Gen iPod and need more space. I held back because I hated the buttons on the 3 Gen. I am glad that Apple have returned to their good sense.

I am all for the Click wheel.. my friend has a mini and I love the interaction.

Koree
Aug 1, 2004, 06:48 AM
:o even so i still like no moving parts, whats wrong with buttons? Besides i like how the buttons look with the back light :)

Anyways is there anyone who agrees that the 3rd gen looks better? That grey on the click wheel is so ugly to me :o

King Cobra
Aug 1, 2004, 08:03 AM
You need to see them in person to be sure that you don't like them. Even Steve said that about the iPod minis.

These aren't the little plastic and stainless steel easy to scratch models that stretched up to 40GB originally, and once you saw a Quicktime VR of them, you pretty much saw the whole thing.

Finiksa
Aug 1, 2004, 08:29 AM
Anyways is there anyone who agrees that the 3rd gen looks better? That grey on the click wheel is so ugly to me :o
Nope I loath the 3G design, ugly row of button with mismatched backlight colours. Awful design overall, I like they've gone back to the original interface arrangement. I'm not too fond of the grey click wheel, I'd have preferred white but I can live with it.

actripxl
Aug 1, 2004, 09:06 AM
Boy do I hate the 3G lay out. My 2G was much better but broke so ended up getting a 3G. The buttons suck, you put them in your shirt pocket and the song changes because of the sensitivity. Im giving my 3G to my girlfriend and buying me a 4G.

MoonShadow
Aug 1, 2004, 09:55 AM
How do I know what version of ipod I have?

TreeHugger
Aug 1, 2004, 10:21 AM
:o even so i still like no moving parts, whats wrong with buttons? Besides i like how the buttons look with the back light :)

If it were white, one wouldnt be able to see it! :D

TreeHugger
Aug 1, 2004, 10:22 AM
Boy do I hate the 3G lay out. My 2G was much better but broke so ended up getting a 3G. The buttons suck, you put them in your shirt pocket and the song changes because of the sensitivity. Im giving my 3G to my girlfriend and buying me a 4G.

I dont even put my 4G on hold :D I love it.

quagmire
Aug 1, 2004, 10:24 AM
How do I know what version of ipod I have?

If you have the 1g ipod it will have a scroll wheel(the wheel moves with your finger) and it has mechanical buttons around it. The 2g ipod is just like the 1g except it has a touch sensitive wheel. The 3g ipod has a touch senstive wheel with 4 touch senstive buttons above the wheel. The 4g has the grey wonderfull, beautyfull, work of art click wheel.

jared_kipe
Aug 1, 2004, 10:44 AM
Awww come on, I'll buy your 4G from you. We had quite a mishap recently... http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=82334

Duff-Man
Aug 1, 2004, 11:01 AM
Duff-Man says....I much prefer the new 4G iPod over the last ones...the 4 button design just didn't seem as logical and simple as the wheel like my original 5GB. I am definitely getting a new one as soon as I decide which model I want. Oh, and the grey wheel looks great too....oh yeah!

puckhead193
Aug 1, 2004, 12:48 PM
I agree, I hate the new look of the ipods. I like how the buttons lit up. The click wheel is annoying everytime i scroll through to find a song i click something. The only "turn on" about it is the 12 hr. battery life. I only got it because i saved alot on the cram and jam, prob be giving it to my dad for is communits into NYC.

bigsteve3
Aug 1, 2004, 01:31 PM
LOL I guess we feel differently...I've waited since buying my first gen iPod until now to get a new one, primarily because I disliked the row of buttons at the top of the 3rd Generation. I about flipped my lid when I saw the click wheel on the G4 iPod because it's just a compressed version of the buttons/scroll wheel on my beloved first gen...

I will admit that the grey is a little much though...they could have made it an ultra-light shade of grey...

-S

Laslo Panaflex
Aug 1, 2004, 01:51 PM

I like the 3rd gen better than the 4G, it may be my bias becuase the 3G was my first iPod, but I like how everything is solid state and touch sensitive. Last night I was at a friends house, and he had a 4G and I had my 3G, and most of the people there agreed that mine looked more "clean" and cooler becuase the lights lit up, plus they all liked how there were no moving parts.

Really, it's all a matter of preference, and personally I like the 3G way better than the new 4G, the grey just doesn't look clean, it looks like it was a mistake or something. I like my all white iPod with glowing buttons, it's just way cooler, in my opinion.

stevehaslip
Aug 1, 2004, 01:55 PM
Duff-Man says....I much prefer the new 4G iPod over the last ones...the 4 button design just didn't seem as logical and simple as the wheel like my original 5GB. I am definitely getting a new one as soon as I decide which model I want. Oh, and the grey wheel looks great too....oh yeah!

Duff-Man's right! whether you like the grey wheel or not the 4th gen iPod is the most intuitive iPod yet. End of story. plus it plays music i hear! :eek: You hold the "iPod" up to your ear and the music just starts! amazing!!! :eek:

Brize
Aug 1, 2004, 02:11 PM
Koree: I completely agree. I had a look at the 4G iPod at my local Apple store a couple of days ago, and it doesn’t look any better in person. I really like the idea of the scroll-wheel and the way that it's been implemented on the mini, but the grey wheel on the regular Pod just cheapens the product. Personally, I think that the iPod has become less pleasing to the eye with every revision, but I imagine that I'm in the minority.

janey
Aug 1, 2004, 02:19 PM
i just sold my ugly POS 3G iPod to pay for a new 40gb 4G iPod (hopefully, at least a 20gb).
I swear I am so fscking tired of those inanely sensitive, easily scratched and dirtied buttons on the 3G. It was perpetually on hold, for me. Only reason I got it was because my 2G broke late last year. I really think they made a mistake designing it. Maybe Jonathan Ive slept through it or somethign :p
The 4G iPod looks much better, I love the gray. A welcome break from the all white iPods. :) cant wait.
The whole design of the iPod was meant to be intuitive, and the 3G iPod wasnt. Its not hard to figure out which order the buttons were in, but frustratingly i'd press on the center piece of plastic and nudge the touch sensitive scroll dealie, skipping forward and back on the song I'd be listening to, even before I find the play/pause or previous/next song buttons. not to mention how the whole thing is so sensitive i'd resorted to holding it by part of the case or the headphones instead of the iPod so the song wouldn't change whenever someone wanted to see it.

homerjward
Aug 1, 2004, 02:29 PM
no offense, but the 4g looks like something from creative labs. sure, you may call the click wheel more intuitive, but i find it much easier to have buttons above so you dont accidentally press it cause i have big fingers and tend to press kinda hard on the scroll wheel. plus, the backlit buttons on the 3g! cant beat that. the only reason i would ever buy a ipod with a click wheel is if it was a pink mini, as outlined in my sig :)

Abstract
Aug 1, 2004, 06:37 PM
These aren't the little plastic and stainless steel easy to scratch models that stretched up to 40GB originally, and once you saw a Quicktime VR of them, you pretty much saw the whole thing.

Do the 4G actually scratch less easily? Sorry, but I'll have to wait for Australia to catch up with the rest of the world before I'll be able to see one in person. They're actually supposed to arrive at the nearby AppleCentre today or tomorrow. :)

Anyway, the clickwheel looks good to me. I like the contrast. The white iPod with white wheel looked too sterile. It isn't a component used at a hospital. I don't like that. I like the fact that there's something to look at other than white. The all-white look is now getting quite boring, including on the iBook.

Loge
Aug 1, 2004, 07:45 PM
Been using the 4G now for about a week, after a year and a bit with the 3G. I now prefer the 4G, the wheel is slightly bigger and scrolling is just that bit easier with it. The wheel being flush with the unit is good clean design too.

Koree
Aug 2, 2004, 12:07 AM
But i stand by my point, i think the 3rd gen looks way better :o Persecute me if you must, but i really really think its a lot better. I don't see how you would get the buttons mixed up. (Back Track, menu, play, forward track, and guess what, i haven't looked at my iPod for 4 days!) :p It just looks cleaner in my opinion. I don't like click wheels, they, click... I like no moving parts cept for the hold button too^^

Well beauty is in the eye of the beholder

Koree

PS im gonna go to my iPod and ask for forgiveness for not seeing it in 4 days, i was on vacation but needed to take care of my cousins in a loud, crowded area so i didn't want to be distracted by, My Precious

edited for grammical reasons

amin
Aug 2, 2004, 12:49 AM
In my opinion the 1 and 2G were the best looking. After folding the 4G in my hand for the first time today in my local Apple store, I think the 3 is slightly more attractive. That said, I really like that they are moving back towards better battery life, and I like the functionality of the click wheel.

tech4all
Aug 2, 2004, 01:14 AM

Koree

Nope. I actually like the 4G click wheel a bit better than the 3G iPod design. I think it makes the iPod look nicer. At first I was a bit like you, but once I saw it and got one, I really liked even more and more. And I actually like the 'clicking' over the 'touch' for some reason; just feels like I have a lil more control over it or something :p

Koree
Aug 2, 2004, 01:54 AM
Nope. I actually like the 4G click wheel a bit better than the 3G iPod design. I think it makes the iPod look nicer. At first I was a bit like you, but once I saw it and got one, I really liked even more and more. And I actually like the 'clicking' over the 'touch' for some reason; just feels like I have a lil more control over it or something :p

I've done everything with it. Still don't like it!! though i like how it is thinner, it still doens't have the clean look of the 3rd gen in my opinion ^^

amin
Aug 2, 2004, 03:12 AM
Koree, it seems most people agree with you here (see comments at the bottom):
http://www.ipodlounge.com/reviews_more.php?id=4565_0_6_0_C

Koree
Aug 2, 2004, 10:44 AM
Koree, it seems most people agree with you here (see comments at the bottom):
http://www.ipodlounge.com/reviews_more.php?id=4565_0_6_0_C

I feel, so appeased ^^ thx for the link. Anyway, what do other people in this forum think, i'm still betting people like 4th gen better :)

jacobj
Aug 2, 2004, 11:11 AM
I like the 3rd gen better than the 4G, it may be my bias becuase the 3G was my first iPod, but I like how everything is solid state and touch sensitive. Last night I was at a friends house, and he had a 4G and I had my 3G, and most of the people there agreed that mine looked more "clean" and cooler becuase the lights lit up, plus they all liked how there were no moving parts.

Really, it's all a matter of preference, and personally I like the 3G way better than the new 4G, the grey just doesn't look clean, it looks like it was a mistake or something. I like my all white iPod with glowing buttons, it's just way cooler, in my opinion.

I think that the lights were only necessary because it was easy to hit the wrong one in the dark. Unless you have mammoth fingers, that shouldn't happen on the click wheel.

jared_kipe
Aug 2, 2004, 12:47 PM
I think that the lights were only necessary because it was easy to hit the wrong one in the dark. Unless you have mammoth fingers, that shouldn't happen on the click wheel.

I think the lights were because SOME people have a hard time memorizing buttons, but the new layout is easier in the dark because of a more logical and easy to remember layout. That said, I would prefer there was more light for those latenight car drives.

Elan0204
Aug 2, 2004, 12:47 PM
I never really like how the 3G looked. I'm yet to see a 4G in person, but from the pictures I like it a lot more than the 3G

micvog
Aug 2, 2004, 01:10 PM
For those complaining about the buttons on the 3G, I haven't found them to be a problem.

Because the stainless steel back of the iPod scratches so easily, my iPod went straight from the iPod box to a DLO Jam Jacket. Besides protecting my iPod, it also enables you to feel for the four buttons without activating them.

That being said, if there are any unhappy 4G owners out there, I would be glad to trade my 20GB (w/dock and case, Jam Jacket, in new condition) for a 4G 20GB (w/o case and dock, in new condition). :D

Mike Teezie
One more voice adding to the roar - I never liked the 3G design either. I never got one, but all my firneds (who I turned into Apple people btw) bought the Gen 3's. I was constantly bumping the buttons and changing songs.

The 4G looks sooo nice, I'm going to pick a 20 gigger up as soon as I recover from all my recent splurges.

Mike Teezie
One more voice adding to the roar - I never liked the 3G design either. I never got one, but all my friends (who I turned into Apple people btw) bought the Gen 3's. I was constantly bumping the buttons and changing songs.

The 4G looks sooo nice, I'm going to pick a 20 gigger up as soon as I recover from all my recent splurges.

EDIT: Sorry for the double post! :o

Koree
Aug 2, 2004, 09:10 PM
Back Track! Menu! Play/Pause! Foward Track! I've never ever missed my buttons in the dark!!!! I didn't even have to get the hang of it. In fact, when i had my iPod the first day, i went to the movies with my friends, and i was changing songs without the back light, in the dark theater, and never missed a button so i back tracked. This was right after my iPod came!!! :cool:

I know some people like the click wheel, but don't bash on the 4 button design, please!

Just kidding just kidding, your have your right to bash on it all you want :o

Koree

Jovian9
Aug 2, 2004, 09:31 PM
My wife and I have owned at least 1 iPod from every generation (including a new blue mini and a new 4G 40GB) and the 3G's were easily the worst of them all. I gave up my 20GB 2G for a 40GB 3G and thought it would be nice, it looked kind of cool, and had more room.......but the ease of use was awful! I often had to hit the buttons 2 or 3 times to get a response and the touch wheel would go from sensitive to not sensitive quickly making me always pass the artist I was looking for. The 3G is not a one-handed-while-you're-doing-something-else-iPod. My wife and I were so happy when they introduced the 4G's that we sold my 40GB 3G and her 20GB 3G and bought a Blue Mini and a 40GB 4G. The click-wheel is AWESOME! Plus with the extra battery life and the secret features there is no comparison b/t the 4G's and the 3G's. If anyone is listening and you are trying to decide b/t a 3G or 4G........BUY THE 4G!

Koree
Aug 2, 2004, 09:41 PM
when do you feel like the wheel is too sensitive etc.? It never changes on me. I get immediate responses whenever i press the buttons. ^^ well thanks for your reply

oingoboingo
Aug 2, 2004, 09:55 PM
Do the 4G actually scratch less easily? Sorry, but I'll have to wait for Australia to catch up with the rest of the world before I'll be able to see one in person. They're actually supposed to arrive at the nearby AppleCentre today or tomorrow. :)

A friend of mine bought a new 40GB 4G iPod in Sydney on Saturday. They're around...you just gotta be quick.

Balin64
Aug 2, 2004, 11:39 PM

Koree

I think it looks great. It is an improvement. Do not buy one. You may flush it down the toilet and regret it afterwards.

davefan6435
Aug 3, 2004, 12:06 AM
I love my brand new iPod that I gpt today, the only way that it could be improved is the small noise it makes when pushing the buttons on the scroll wheel, and possibly having a touch button in the middle of the touch wheel. BTW I used to own a 3G iPod and loved it, but the 4G is much better. Another thing I like more on the 3G iPod is the depressed scroll wheel, my finger easily gets off the iPod, it keeps getting better with every generation, I am officially OBSESSED with Apple's iPod, I think I will have to get the 5G just based on principal. I got a little over 7 hours with the backlight on the hole time, thatr is more than my 3G lasted w/o turning the backlight on. I can't wait to see how long it will last w/o the backlight on. I was calibrating the battery :D . I hope you learn to love its intuitive design, I loved it after the first 5 min.

Koree
Aug 3, 2004, 03:47 AM
I love my brand new iPod that I gpt today, the only way that it could be improved is the small noise it makes when pushing the buttons on the scroll wheel, and possibly having a touch button in the middle of the touch wheel. BTW I used to own a 3G iPod and loved it, but the 4G is much better. Another thing I like more on the 3G iPod is the depressed scroll wheel, my finger easily gets off the iPod, it keeps getting better with every generation, I am officially OBSESSED with Apple's iPod, I think I will have to get the 5G just based on principal. I got a little over 7 hours with the backlight on the hole time, thatr is more than my 3G lasted w/o turning the backlight on. I can't wait to see how long it will last w/o the backlight on. I was calibrating the battery :D . I hope you learn to love its intuitive design, I loved it after the first 5 min.

Uhh, can you tell me about what you like about the 4gen better? Glad you like your iPod (3rd and 4th gen) and hope you try apple's computers also.

Jovian9
Aug 3, 2004, 12:24 PM
when do you feel like the wheel is too sensitive etc.? It never changes on me. I get immediate responses whenever i press the buttons. ^^ well thanks for your reply

When scrolling through the menu (artists mainly), I would often make it to the band I was looking for only for the scroll wheel to speed up past it. I would then try to go back slowly and it would happen again. This happened so often and the battery life was so poor that I found myself actually leaving my iPod at home sometimes.......and I've never done that......no matter where I'm going.
The 4G has excellent battery life! It ran for nearly 15 hours playing artists when I was calibrating the battery. I then tested it with the backlight on and using a playlist.....the 4G went for 8 1/2 hours like this.......that's longer than what you're supposed to get on the 3G's.
The 20GB 2G has been my favorite of all the iPods I've owned.....but I have a feeling that the 4G and the Blue Mini are going to surpass it after I've had them more than just a week.

beefcake
Aug 3, 2004, 12:42 PM
Style opinions aside, iPods are the coolest, we can all agree on that.

nfocus design
Aug 3, 2004, 02:05 PM
I like the click wheel design, but I hate the color of the wheel. Sorry to say, but I think it looks cheap. The silver iPod mini is my favorite. I bought one the day it was released.

Koree
Aug 4, 2004, 01:54 AM
I like the click wheel design, but I hate the color of the wheel. Sorry to say, but I think it looks cheap. The silver iPod mini is my favorite. I bought one the day it was released.

Great, im glad i found more people who don't like that grey, but i still don't understand whats that great about the click wheel, doesnt it seem like a step backwards technology wise?

erik1975
Aug 4, 2004, 02:10 AM
Why don't you wait until Apple announces the 'hiiden features that causes a ground up redesign' that Time magazine hinted about. Presumably this will happen at the Paris Keynote, which will hopefully be given by Steve!

Depending on what they announce, I may want to swap my 3G (which I currently like more than the look of the 4G) for a 4G!

Chaszmyr
Aug 4, 2004, 02:15 AM

Koree

I totally agree. The new iPod would be infinitely better if the wheel was white with gray writing instead of gray with white writing.

As far as the click wheel goes, I don't think its all that wonderful, but a lot of people seem to think it is easier to use.

In terms of buying? I'd still buy a 4G over a 3G, just for the battery life.

broken_keyboard
Aug 4, 2004, 05:56 AM
I don't like the grey either. As soon as I saw it I thought "huh? What were they thinking?"

michaelrjohnson
Aug 4, 2004, 08:21 AM
Having owned both a 3G 15GB, and a 4G 20GB, I can say that the 4G is a much better iPod. Even though the iPod has never been "difficult" (per se) to use, the 3G was more difficult to use than the 4G is.

As for the color of the clickwheel. I do not pretend to know why they went with white on grey instead of grey on white. My suspicion is that the grey clickwheel provides a visual distinction that a) balances the iPod and b) makes the functions easier to read. Either way, the 4G iPod is amazing, and I would reccomend it to anyone in the market.

Abstract
Aug 4, 2004, 09:13 AM
Well I just got my 4G yesterday, and I think the grey clickwheel looks absolutely class. Seriously, some pictures of the new iPod make it look like dark grey, but its quite a light grey, which is nice. Its just a tad bit darker than an Alu PB. It really looks good, and I wouldn't recommend the 3G to anyone. And the battery life: I just did a full charge yesterday, and even though it was my calibration charge, and I moved all my songs onto my iPod, played with the settings and suchh, it still managed to last for about 11 hours. I could easily get 12 hours or so from it.

Everyone who says that this iPod update isn't worthy of 4G status is kidding themselves. What else does Apple have to do? They made it easier to use, and improved the battery life. I'd say that both features are significant.

Koree
Aug 4, 2004, 10:24 AM
Click wheel, i feel it is a step backwards but ok, i understand it seems easier to use for some people (most) Most people agree the grey isn't all that great, the purpose maybe for making it easier to read, johnson said that, im betting its true. I'm curious about the new features too, i know it will probably be really big. But i don't think it'll matter to me that much, (i use it for iCal seldomly, notes occasionally, to me its just a hard drive and a great music player) if it has more pda capabilities, great, but i don't think the new feature will really appeal to current iPod people (just a gut feeling) i think it will just attract another customer base.

None the less, the cool factor of the "secret features" will be high, and i will think it will be great, but i don't think i'll have a use for it. :o

Edited because me got not good grammer :D

archurban
Aug 4, 2004, 10:39 AM
well, that's not wrong here. you just like 3G ipod. that's it. but you still want to work extra finger moving because of separated buttons with touch wheel. that's why 3G ipod has backlit on the buttons. to me, that control design is the worst thing Apple ever has done. it's not efficient to use. OK, look of 3G is cool like youi said. only two things bother me. 1. like I said, separated buttons & touch wheel. 2. short battery life that is terribly unaccepted.

that's why I didn't buy either 3G or previous ipod. I have waited for new one. so now, I have mini, 4G ipod with engraving. their design is much better than previous. even there are some features that previous ones don't have. like long battery life(12~13hours), automatic pause when you rip off headphone, audiobook speed control feature, intergration click wheel button, fast charge, Apple lossless sound quality support, simple design, sleek.

they are all I experience so far. but youi just don't like grey wheel that you think it's ugly. well, go with 3G with short battery life!

Koree
Aug 4, 2004, 10:51 AM
but you still want to work extra finger moving because of separated buttons with touch wheel. that's why 3G ipod has backlit on the buttons. to me, that control design is the worst thing Apple ever has done.

well, go with 3G with short battery life!

i use my ipod with one finger and the palm of my hand :p and i think i am missunderstanding you, the buttons have back lights because you have to use an extra finger?
i don't really think 8 hours is really that short... and if your comparing it to other music player, 12 hours isn't much better. :cool:

And please read carefully, i have a 3rd gen, i am getting a 4th gen and giving it to my aunt. (maybe, Koree's big thing about using the cram and jam deal may have sunk, i think i might decide to get a G5 dual 2.5 and get an old clamshell for school, thought about it this morning)

Burns
Aug 4, 2004, 11:35 AM
Still waiting on my 4G arriving, grrr....but i think that the click wheel will give the iPod a more heavy-duty quality, whilst still retaining its ultra-modern chic appearance. I tend to be very heavy handed, and when using my friends 3G i had to be SO careful not to keep skiping backwards and forwards. (However i will point out i haven't got my new iPod yet so i will reserve final judgement on this point till i do.)

Also, i think the grey adds a bit of character to the whole appearance. As someone already mentioned, it was rather sterile. Anyone with a 4G back me up on this point? All in all i really hope it gets here tomorrow to prove my theory.
but i still don't understand whats that great about the click wheel, doesnt it seem like a step backwards technology wise?
Don't think so. They've shown the touch sensitive thing can be done, and decided on practicality. :)

jayscheuerle
Aug 4, 2004, 12:44 PM
The grey wheel hides finger smudges better than the white one...

Koree
Aug 7, 2004, 04:14 AM
I think im gonna set something up at school so people who aren't biased by owning one, or even knowing anything about apple. I'll do how comfortable it is to use with one hand, two hands, in the dark, back light, overall cool factor, and by what it looks like. Any suggestions other things i should add? Seems stupid but its gonna be pretty fun for me :D

JDOG_
Aug 7, 2004, 02:44 PM
I don't know why people get so upset about the grey color of the clickwheel, it falls right in line with the color scheme of the iPods & iBooks in terms of two-toning.

For example, take a look at your iPod's headphone cord...you might notice that it in fact isn't white, but grey...the same Apple grey that the new clickwheel is.

Also as an example, check out the grey of the clickwheel against the keyboard & inside of an iBook G4...it's the same.

If it was really white you guys would just whine about it getting dirty, so deal with it.

brett33
Aug 7, 2004, 04:44 PM
Here's my experiences with the different types/generations of iPods.

1) I had a 20GB 2G for a year and a half or so, just shipped it out via UPS yesterday after selling it on ebay. I liked the design of this one, but found the sharp edges on the front a bit quesitionable (just always worried that it would be easy to chip them) and it was fairly thick. Other than that I loved it.

2) I got a Green Mini at the opening of the Apple Store in Austin. I was going to sell it to a friend and didn't open it until about two weeks ago. I love the click wheel design and you just don't really know how cool the mini really is until you play with one for a little bit. I have about 18GB of music right now, so it obviously can't all fit on the mini, but i just set up a few smart playlists that will update whenever I sync it and I'm content with the 900 or so songs that I managed to get on it.

3) I ordered a 30GB 3G refurbished from the Apple Store Online on the day they first appeared on there. I think that the look of the design is really nice especially with the buttons lit up with the backlight. However, I never really got the hang of going from the scroll wheel to the buttons smoothly. I may not posess the proper motor skills, but it was much easier for me to use the 2G or mini one handed than it was to use the 3G. I sold that one this week to a friend for what I paid for it. ($303)

4) The same day that I sold the 3G I ordered a 4G 40Gb. I saw them at the Apple Store in DFW this week and while not entirely sold on the grey wheel it isn't so bad as to pass up on the other advantages because of the color. I like the click wheel as I've experienced it in the mini, but would have rather had the 4G wheel look like the mini's. I would have just run out and gotten it locally, as a couple of places have it, but I managed to find it for $360 online w/o sales tax so I can wait a bit for it. Now I just need to dig up a remote and some sort of case for it. I never liked the apple cases as the one on the 20GB broke at the clip and it tended to scratch the back, but I really wish that they had included the remote with the new ones.

Just my observations...not that they really mean anything.
Brett