PDA

View Full Version : Is the MINI IPOD to Girlish?

whw5
Aug 1, 2004, 08:33 AM
I just ordered a new ipod mini. My friend has the regular ipod. He says its stupid that i got a mini because they are to girlish. I could really care less however I am interested to hear what you all think about that. I think its fine to have a mini and not be a girl because it is a very cool device. What about you all. Is it to femine for some of you? Personally, I think anyone that thinks that is a little weird... Anyway what do you guys think?

jacobj
Aug 1, 2004, 08:44 AM
I just ordered a new ipod mini. My friend has the regular ipod. He says its stupid that i got a mini because they are to girlish. I could really care less however I am interested to hear what you all think about that. I think its fine to have a mini and not be a girl because it is a very cool device. What about you all. Is it to femine for some of you? Personally, I think anyone that thinks that is a little weird... Anyway what do you guys think?

I have a 2nd gen ipod and am waiting for my 4th gen to be delivered. To be honest, if I could afford it, I would also have a mini for when I am out and about on a bike or something.

I tend to work on a computer all day and when I need to block out the background I use the iPod. A mini would probably be OK for this, but with 20gb on my second gen, I still feel limited.

So what I am trying to say is, NO, they are not too feminine (maybe the pink one), but they are not big enough to suit all needs. If it's big enough for you then you're a lucky git, because I personally think they look better.

Sogo
Aug 1, 2004, 09:35 AM
some of my friends have ipod mini's, and they are boys. I find that remark your friend made as childish.

HarbV7.0
Aug 1, 2004, 09:42 AM
Well the pink I imagine would only appeal to a small percentage of the male market. Other than that you may as well say small cell phones are to girlish, 12 inch PB's are to girlish etc... Just because it's in a small form factor and well designed does not make something feminine. Me? I'm getting a silver mini for the gym and trail biking and I'll still use my 3g iPod for all else. I waited to see if the 4g would be worth it, but I've decided it doesn't have enough fetures to tempt me, so Mini it is!

Finiksa
Aug 1, 2004, 10:01 AM
Well the pink I imagine would only appeal to a small percentage of the male market.
Like me! just love the pink mini ;)

zim
Aug 1, 2004, 10:13 AM
Not girlish at all, go for it!

MikeLaRiviere
Aug 1, 2004, 11:27 AM
If using the Mini makes you feel like less of a man, you may want to consider using another device. Your friend's just trying to get a rise out of you. Besides, you can always mod your Pod to make it more manly... put a knife on the side, maybe connect a few tools to it, mod the hard drive so it's louder, put a sticker on it of an Apple urinating on a PC, and put a huge metal case around it. That should shut up your friend.

Mike LaRiviere

stevehaslip
Aug 1, 2004, 11:31 AM
they're not girlish at all, your friend won't be laughing when the iPod mini wins a D&AD award! The clickwheel is worth the award on its own!

The only one that is girlish is the pink one, ITS PINK! :eek:

Kingsnapped
Aug 1, 2004, 11:31 AM
If anyone accuses me of being girlish, I just put a bigger tailpipe on my mom's Civic. Nothing like a big, noisy tailpipe for manhood-backin'.

As long as you didn't order pink, you should be alright. Just make sure no Cher finds it's way on there.

whw5
Aug 1, 2004, 11:32 AM
Wow!!!! I never thought of doing that. As soon as I get my new mini I will be sure to do all of your suggested things. This is going to be the toughest mini ipod ever!!!! I'll be sure to post pics of my mean and manly ipod.

wPod
Aug 1, 2004, 11:50 AM
hey, dont diss the pink iPod mini. . . i think that would be the ultimate masculine statement. . . that you are secure enough in your 'manly' abilities that you could carry around a pink iPod mini. (plus noone would steal it! heh. . . .) the iPod minis rock! if they ever come out with a 10GB or more iPod mini i will swap in my 1st gen 10GB in a second, but 4 GB just isnt enough right now! i know a number of guys with the mini. i agree with others your friend needs to grow up!

MikeLaRiviere
Aug 1, 2004, 11:55 AM
WPod makes a good point. Anyone knocks your pink mini, tell them you'll mess them up. Something I want to add: apparently a company developed testicles suitable for hanging from a pickup truck. If anyone's looking to break into the third party iPod add-on market, I'd recommend taking a look at this site: truck nuts (http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.accountwizard.com/brickybrack/shop.asp%3Foutsidelink%3Dclass%26class%3D17%26subclass%3D65%26source%3Dgoogle&sa=l&ai=ATRYtk_RDBdfoocIn0k4ndC-AaHZ7F4OwN3YAcy4p51TAQ6EAQb4ABEQAYaBAAAAAAEAA). This might be the next big accessory.

Mike LaRiviere

arrowhead
Aug 1, 2004, 01:39 PM
Go for the mini! I have 3G 10GB iPod, and after the mini came out about 6 months after I bought it, I wished that Apple had introduced it 6 months earlier. So, my next replacement iPod will definitely be one of the mini's. As for color, I don't think pink is girlish. Hey.... pink panther is a male panther, and he is pink all the way :-) One of the reasons why mini is so popular is because it is considered one of the fashion items that can go with other accessaries or attires. So, it is also important to consider what you normally tend to wear, or how you look overall. For example, if you are heavy set, bold, goatee, biker kind of a guy, then, the pink mini may look kind of out of place, whereas, you are kind of person who drives mini cooper or VW Beatle, then, any color will probably be okay. So, my point is to think in terms of context with other items that you normally carry around or wear, and don't just look at the color of mini by itself. Some of my friends told me that one of the reasons why guys cannot decorate rooms in the house is because they cannot look at things in context. Think of your mini purchase as if you are trying to do a flower arrangement.

CanuckGold_2002
Aug 1, 2004, 01:52 PM
Heh...the British SAS painted their jeeps and rovers pink during World War II while wreaking havoc on Rommel's forces so don't diss the pinkie! (although I'd jump for the silver myself)

Doctor Q
Aug 1, 2004, 02:03 PM
Speaking in generalities...

Power Macs and PowerBooks are targeted at professionals. They come in a single color. iMacs and iBooks are targeted at consumers. Over the years, they have come in a variety of colors.

iPods come in one color. iPod minis come in a variety of colors.

Instead of including that iPod minis are for girls, I conclude that iPod minis are for consumer music listeners and iPods are for professional music listeners! Now if only I knew what that meant.

emc2
Aug 1, 2004, 02:31 PM
I could really care less however I am interested to hear what you all think

Well which is it? DO you care or DON'T you?
Sorry, I'm just bustin your chops. I have a 1st generation iPod and am truely amazed at the success that Apple has enjoyed with this product. Who would've thought that a lowly mp3 player could cause such an uproar...
I thought that most of you would enjoy this recent NPR story on "Talk of the Nation". Free iPods for incoming students at Duke.

Jeez, I think when I was a freshman we got a "Welcome" box with trial sizes of deodorent, shampoo and toothpaste, some coupons for the local pizza joint, and one for some new-fangled coffee place...I think it was called Starbucks.

Anyway, enjoy the link (RealOne Player required).

http://www.npr.org/features/feature.php?wfId=3606605
-e :cool:

whw5
Aug 1, 2004, 03:02 PM
oh I forgot to metion I am getting my mini in silver to match my uasual blue atire for school. No pink for me.

yoda13
Aug 1, 2004, 04:00 PM
I think that they are not girly. I love mine and I am not a girl. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and I respect that, but my opinion of your friend's opinion is that he is full of rubish :D

That is just my two cents though. I hope that you enjoy yours.

topicolo
Aug 1, 2004, 04:18 PM
I dunno about all the girly other colors, but pink is definitely manly :p

ColoJohnBoy
Aug 1, 2004, 04:30 PM
I don't think so, not one bit. When I'm lifting at the gym, I have to laugh when big, muscly, hairy macho men come up to me to ask me about my green mini (His name is Mr. Darcy). Since I got mine, the iPod mini population at the gym has tripled - to a total of three :p

evil
Aug 1, 2004, 04:33 PM
WPod makes a good point. Anyone knocks your pink mini, tell them you'll mess them up. Something I want to add: apparently a company developed testicles suitable for hanging from a pickup truck. If anyone's looking to break into the third party iPod add-on market, I'd recommend taking a look at this site: truck nuts (http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.accountwizard.com/brickybrack/shop.asp%3Foutsidelink%3Dclass%26class%3D17%26subclass%3D65%26source%3Dgoogle&sa=l&ai=ATRYtk_RDBdfoocIn0k4ndC-AaHZ7F4OwN3YAcy4p51TAQ6EAQb4ABEQAYaBAAAAAAEAA). This might be the next big accessory.

Mike LaRiviere

that is one of the most ridiculous things i have ever seen.

jsw
Aug 1, 2004, 04:38 PM
What is "girlish" would be being afraid to get what you like because of how it might be perceived. The mini is very cool. Were it not for (a) the long wait times, and (b) the relatively small capacity, I'd get one - and I wouldn't mind any of the colors. If 4Gb works for you, and you can find one, then by all means get it. It's stylish and high-tech.

And, hey, women love them. Carrying something with you that women want to hold and to have is never a negative. ;)