Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ang8385

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 23, 2004
Bought Dl-624+ few months ago, been using it with my ADSL modem without problems, recently the connection will be disconnected after a while, and i can't reconnect it unless turn off the D-link and restart. This is very troublesome and annoying

Any idea ??

realityisterror

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2003
Snellville, GA
this has happened once or twice with my DI-614+...
i just unplug it for between 5 and 10 minutes (so the settings aren't wiped) and plug it in again...

i'm guessing it happens because it is always on and plugged in... it does get somewhat hot sometimes too...

reality

ang8385

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 23, 2004
realityisterror said:
this has happened once or twice with my DI-614+...
i just unplug it for between 5 and 10 minutes (so the settings aren't wiped) and plug it in again...

i'm guessing it happens because it is always on and plugged in... it does get somewhat hot sometimes too...

reality

so nothing big problem with hardware or settings ??

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
did you register your router MAC address if your isp? if you didn't that is what they do.

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
well there is two ways you can do this:

easiest way to is clone you MAC address of the orignal computer they install the adsl on.

If it was on your Mac your MAC address by going to perefences, network, built-in ethernet, ethernet, Then the Ethernet ID is MAC address.
write that thing down.
now goto, http://support.dlink.com/
get your manual and lookup how to do cloning. in a brief summary:
basically goto http://192.168.0.1 and login. if you stuck here refer to the manual. it will walk you through the basic admin process. anyways once you there click on "WAN" on the left column. Type in the ethernet ID that you wrote down where it says MAC Address. remember this has to be the orignal computer that you had registered. after the changes are saved, unplug your router for about 1 min. allow the server on the ISP end to disconnect you totally from the system. this is important. after that plug back, hope fully that will be it. all the garbage above did is make the ISP think it was your old computer. it really isn't hard, it just took a lot of typing.

OR

just call them and say you want to register a different computer. :)

the first is actually better, depending on the policy they might not allow routers on their network or they will not give you technicall support. it depends on their policies.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.