Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Paulyboy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 26, 2007
Hello,

I have a late 2006 24" iMac with a Mini-DVI port. I'd like to connect it to my new LG 47LH30 LCD HDTV in another room. They are on each side of the same wall so I'd drill a tiny hole in the wall for the appropriate cables.

The video part seems easy. Just get the Mini-DVI-HDMI adapter and a 12' HDMI cable from Monoprice. For the audio portion I was wondering if a set of decent computer speakers (which somebody gave me) hooked up via USB to my iMac and set up below the HDTV would suffice until I can afford something better? I think I could hook them up using a long enough audio cable and the following adapter from Monoprice:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...s_id=1031105&p_id=2881&seq=&format=4#feedback

I already have speakers plugged into the headphone jack on my iMac so my hope is that the set up I described above would allow me to switch where my iMac's audio output goes to (Speakers by the iMac hooked up to headphone jack OR speakers by the HDTV hooked up to iMac via the USB to Audio Converter) from the "Sound Preference" pane? I imagine the speakers hooked up via the USB to Audio Converter would show up as "USB Audio" or something like that in the Sound Output control panel?

I might get one of those new iMacs soon and I realize there's now a Mini-Display port-HDMI with Audio adapter but that also takes up a USB port for the audio so if I do actually get a new iMac it looks like I could just get the Mini-Display port-HDMI without Audio and keep the same set up if I wish?

In any case I'm tired of waiting to do this so since it's so inexpensive I'd like to see what using an HDTV for an occasional Mac display is like - if the above set up would work?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

-PN

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.