PDA

View Full Version : Gameloft says it, others reining in Android plans

MacBytes
Nov 20, 2009, 06:15 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: 3rd Party Software
Link: Gameloft says it, others reining in Android plans (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20091120191540)
Description:: "We have significantly cut our investment in Android platform, just like ... many others," Gameloft finance director Alexandre de Rochefort said at an investor conference.

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

jz1492
Nov 20, 2009, 09:08 PM
It amuses to hear every Android fanboy claim that their app market excels in quality -that they don't need 100K apps to outperform the AppStore.

Yet if this trend continues, it will look more like a crappy flea market. :p

And a small one at that. :D

batchtaster
Nov 21, 2009, 08:20 AM
It amuses to hear every Android fanboy claim that their app market excels in quality -that they don't need 100K apps to outperform the AppStore.

Yet if this trend continues, it will look more like a crappy flea market. :p

And a small one at that. :D

Having over 100K apps isn't necessarily a sign of a superior platform, any more than there being 10x more Windows apps than Mac apps makes Windows superior. Quantity and quality are not the same thing, as we should all be well aware. Browse through the bowels of the App Store sometime, and see how many flashlight, fart, beer or paper-throwing apps there are. There is something of a filtering process, due to App Store approval, so imagine the dreck if that wasn't even in place.

The actual point to be made here is that if a fledgling platform (Android) cannot attract developers (which does not need to be at the expense of either iPhone or any other platform, any more than the Mac platform needs to convince existing Windows developers to abandon the PC for the Mac), then it may well flounder, particularly if the number is actually shrinking rather than growing. That is, Android cannot afford to be losing momentum this early. Sure, that will probably be reflected in the number of apps available, but that's a symptom, not the disease itself.

And I'm not even convinced it is necessarily a good thing for iPhone either. Nokia still holds the top spot, with its more limited handsets and platforms. While they're all bundled together under the "smartphone" moniker, there's a distinct difference between the iPhone and Android platforms, and those from Nokia and similar: the abilities of the platform, and the accessibility to those, by which I mean vendor provided access to desktop-class APIs. Apple's biggest competition is not Android or WebOS or even any specific model of Nokia, it's the (relatively) archaic notion of what a mobile device can/should do. Because while Nokia has made some strides now that the phone market has stopped being somewhat stagnant, they are still peddling devices that are only capable of so much. What is good for iPhone and Android to accomplish would be to unseat the limited "prev-gen" approach of the Nokias (and others) and usher in the iPhone/Android next-gen approach where basically anything is possible on your phone/device. Because flushing out the old-gen stuff together (Apple + Google + ?) will be more attainable together than Apple trying to do it on their own.

MecPro
Nov 21, 2009, 11:16 AM
Having over 100K apps isn't necessarily a sign of a superior platform, any more than there being 10x more Windows apps than Mac apps makes Windows superior. Quantity and quality are not the same thing, as we should all be well aware. Browse through the bowels of the App Store sometime, and see how many flashlight, fart, beer or paper-throwing apps there are. There is something of a filtering process, due to App Store approval, so imagine the dreck if that wasn't even in place.

The actual point to be made here is that if a fledgling platform (Android) cannot attract developers (which does not need to be at the expense of either iPhone or any other platform, any more than the Mac platform needs to convince existing Windows developers to abandon the PC for the Mac), then it may well flounder, particularly if the number is actually shrinking rather than growing. That is, Android cannot afford to be losing momentum this early. Sure, that will probably be reflected in the number of apps available, but that's a symptom, not the disease itself.

And I'm not even convinced it is necessarily a good thing for iPhone either. Nokia still holds the top spot, with its more limited handsets and platforms. While they're all bundled together under the "smartphone" moniker, there's a distinct difference between the iPhone and Android platforms, and those from Nokia and similar: the abilities of the platform, and the accessibility to those, by which I mean vendor provided access to desktop-class APIs. Apple's biggest competition is not Android or WebOS or even any specific model of Nokia, it's the (relatively) archaic notion of what a mobile device can/should do. Because while Nokia has made some strides now that the phone market has stopped being somewhat stagnant, they are still peddling devices that are only capable of so much. What is good for iPhone and Android to accomplish would be to unseat the limited "prev-gen" approach of the Nokias (and others) and usher in the iPhone/Android next-gen approach where basically anything is possible on your phone/device. Because flushing out the old-gen stuff together (Apple + Google + ?) will be more attainable together than Apple trying to do it on their own.

Couldn't have said it better myself

jz1492
Nov 21, 2009, 11:55 AM
...Browse through the bowels of the App Store sometime, and see how many flashlight, fart, beer or paper-throwing apps there are...

...if a fledgling platform (Android) cannot attract developers...

...Nokia still holds the top spot, with its more limited handsets and platforms...

...to unseat the limited "prev-gen" approach of the Nokias (and others) and usher in the iPhone/Android next-gen approach where basically anything is possible on your phone/device. Because flushing out the old-gen stuff together (Apple + Google + ?) will be more attainable together than Apple trying to do it on their own.

LOL. Maybe you think Google is to Apple as Robin is to Batman. ROFL. I don't think so. I'd say more like Lex Luthor. :D Just wait until they begin "monetizing" Android ;)

Google was invited to participate in an Apple secret project just as Microsoft was in the early 80s. Problem is, both Microsoft and Google are pretty much alike in lots of ways, so both ended up picking up the ideas and running with them on their own, while claiming they had a better way to distribute it, "For The Good Of Humanity" :p

The difference is that this time around Apple has a huge head start, and Google's image isn't as solid as IBM's at the time. Also, it is RIM who holds the lucrative business market, not Nokia, and they are not stuck with the "old-gen". (by the way, Nokia's N900 beats the bejeezus out of Droid :cool:).

So basically, Android is trying to vie for Apple's pie, NPI, and that is its whole problem. While business buyers appreciate supplier diversity, the general public fall in love with brands, and tend to remain loyal. Have you noticed Android aficionados are usually either AT&T or Apple haters?! -that's totally brand driven.

Once the iPhone is available on all networks, the need for Android will subside to the smallish Apple hating hackers who claim they have never spent one penny on a luxury item.

Which brings me to the problem at hand. Apple customers enjoy and are willing to pay (what a concept :eek:) for their hundreds of fart apps, their thousands of productivity apps and their tens of thousands of games and highly innovative apps.

And let me tell you; having thousands of developers churning out dozens of new apps a day makes a real difference -my children's DSs are now gathering dust somewhere. :rolleyes:

Anyways, happy droidin' (I'd have gone with the N900 if I were you, though ;) )

reverie
Nov 22, 2009, 06:37 AM
Having over 100K apps isn't necessarily a sign of a superior platform, any more than there being 10x more Windows apps than Mac apps makes Windows superior.

Actually variety of software is one of the few big advantages of Windows, besides cheapo hardware. Why else would people buy it?

Quantity and quality are not the same thing, as we should all be well aware. Browse through the bowels of the App Store sometime, and see how many flashlight, fart, beer or paper-throwing apps there are. There is something of a filtering process, due to App Store approval, so imagine the dreck if that wasn't even in place.

According to 148apps.biz, there are 30,000 apps in the games and entertainment categories. The other 70,000 are most most likely not joke apps.

Don't count Nokia out yet. I think it's a mistake to think so dismissively of Nokia's products, despite Apple's current lead with the iPhone. After all, just like Nokia, Apple for many years has "peddled" (and still is) a device that was not that smart and "capable of only so much"—called the iPod, with the difference that Apple sold around 200 million (not counting the touch) and Nokia sold around 2,500 million (both at similar price points), which would suggest that Nokia's offerings for many years resonated much better with consumers than Apple's. It is this massive goodwill and brand recognition that still affords them their crushing market shares around the world. They will manage to improve their offerings in smartphone software and services to at least the level of what Android has, and that will already be enough for them to stay market leader for another 5 years and be around for a lot longer. Should they return to their form of the 1990s, Apple will have a most scary competitor.

cjmillsnun
Nov 22, 2009, 07:03 AM
The difference is that this time around Apple has a huge head start, and Google's image isn't as solid as IBM's at the time. Also, it is RIM who holds the lucrative business market, not Nokia, and they are not stuck with the "old-gen". (by the way, Nokia's N900 beats the bejeezus out of Droid :cool:).

RIM may hold the business market in the US, however Nokia sells more phones than any other maker to businesses worldwide. FACT.

stivsmim
Nov 22, 2009, 07:53 PM
I accept with information:The actual point to be made here is that if a fledgling platform (Android) cannot attract developers (which does not need to be at the expense of either iPhone or any other platform, any more than the Mac platform needs to convince existing Windows developers to abandon the PC for the Mac), then it may well flounder, particularly if the number is actually shrinking rather than growing.

batchtaster
Nov 23, 2009, 12:21 AM
Also, it is RIM who holds the lucrative business market, not Nokia, and they are not stuck with the "old-gen". (by the way, Nokia's N900 beats the bejeezus out of Droid :cool:).

Then they would be #1 wouldn't they? Oops, they're not. Nokia is *still* the one to beat, and RIM is hardly "next-gen".

Your assessment of the N900 beating Android is your singular opinion.

Anyways, happy droidin' (I'd have gone with the N900 if I were you, though ;) )

I'm an iPhone user. You have no idea what you're prattling on about.

What, iPhone users can't like Android, and vice versa? That's a pretty poor notion.

Actually variety of software is one of the few big advantages of Windows, besides cheapo hardware. Why else would people buy it?

Who said anything about "variety"? I didn't. Variety and 10x the software is not the same thing.

According to 148apps.biz, there are 30,000 apps in the games and entertainment categories. The other 70,000 are most most likely not joke apps.

Ooh. That point just grazed past you, but you ducked just in time.

Don't count Nokia out yet. I think it's a mistake to think so dismissively of Nokia's products, despite Apple's current lead with the iPhone.

Fine. Then I'll base them on all their wondrous upcoming revolutionary product announcements, technology demonstrations and future directions. In fact, let me pay my bills with them. Oh, you don't take payment in the form of dreams, wishes and imagination? How odd.