PDA

View Full Version : today is a sad day... *snif*

vollspacken
Aug 1, 2004, 04:16 PM
...my oh my, today was pretty sad. I sold my black Powermac 5400 and my dad's old beige G3 on eBay since they where only sitting around collecting dust...

I got kind of sentimental because I did our highschool yearbook on that G3 and it was my first "real" Mac (the "not-so-real" first one was a Mac IIci...)

now all that remains is my tiBook, my rod-rodded SE/30, my iPod, Airport, and a Powerbook 520c that I'm converting into a digital picture frame...

it's so hard to let these trusty ol' machines go, especially the G3, since it has always been around...

vSpacken

kaylie_kipe
Aug 1, 2004, 05:13 PM
I'm sorry, that must have been very hard for you. But you'll always have the memories, eh?

virividox
Aug 1, 2004, 06:01 PM
i remember when i had to part with my first mac, my mom wanted space and said since we never used it we had to get rid of it!!! but oht he memories!

rainman::|:|
Aug 1, 2004, 06:10 PM
last weekend, while clearing out my garage to build my first studio, i wound up having to toss a bunch of my old computers, including a Woz IIgs, and my LCII (first color Mac i owned). It was hard for me but i finally said, these are full of spiderwebs and dirty, i have to just clear them out. I couldn't throw away my Mac Plus tho, because it's simply too iconic...

paul

Crikey
Aug 1, 2004, 09:21 PM
When you need to dispose of old Macs, you need a place like this (http://www.macrenewal.org/).

Cheers,

Crikey

jefhatfield
Aug 1, 2004, 09:49 PM
my first mac meant so much to me that i at least kept the desktop...others needed the monitor, printer, keyboard, and mouse so i just gave those away to people

my first pc meant a lot to me but since it was a server which had no network to be attached to, i reluctantly gave that up to a IT student who will get use out of it

the pc laptop i use now, 366 mhz compaq, is a great utilitarian computer, so i will use it until it breaks down...same goes with the 300 mhz rev a ibook and i will just keep those around as antiques...plus they also don't take up a lot of space...but the old mac desktop and two laptops will still eventually live in the garage though

i am happy with only one desk in my house with one computer on it with one printer and one scanner...anymore that that, outside of laptops in the house, and then my house ends up looking like an office

...though my wife and i have made use of computers for business related things and making money, i still like the idea of a house looking like a house and not some office

vollspacken
Aug 2, 2004, 01:42 AM
...though my wife and i have made use of computers for business related things and making money, i still like the idea of a house looking like a house and not some office

yeah, that's why I thought "nah, just get rid of those unused machines..."

I still have a PeeCee sitting in a closet and serving as my network router (VPN sucks big time on Panther...), and those desktops take up too much space. the SE/30 that I kept has a small footprint but the G3 with a 17" Eizo CRT is just too big - I thought about giving the PPC 5400 to one of my roommates but that poor bastard refuses to have a computer (he's using an old LCIII at his parents' home for term papers and stuff though...) and so I sold it...

vSpacken

mymemory
Aug 2, 2004, 08:13 AM
it's so hard to let these trusty ol' machines go, especially the G3, since it has always been around...

vSpacken

For sure they are going to end up in the hands of some evil kid like teh one in Toy Story. :rolleyes: