PDA

View Full Version : Question about switching to another DAW

butterfly0fdoom
Nov 21, 2009, 03:08 AM
I'm looking into a new computer and this might not be the best place to ask but I might not be sticking with another Mac and I was wondering what a good non-ProTools DAW (if it were available in Mac and PC versions, that would make it better) would be and how I would be able to export my Logic files into the correct format?

ChrisA
Nov 21, 2009, 11:25 PM
I'm looking into a new computer and this might not be the best place to ask but I might not be sticking with another Mac and I was wondering what a good non-ProTools DAW (if it were available in Mac and PC versions, that would make it better) would be and how I would be able to export my Logic files into the correct format?

It would help if you'd say why you want to move away from Logic Otherwise someone might recommend something that has the same features you dislike.

I think you'd only be able to export your audio files

butterfly0fdoom
Nov 22, 2009, 12:02 AM
I'm just considering going back to PC, or just at least keeping that option open. It's nothing to do with Logic, I like Logic a lot.

Capt Underpants
Nov 22, 2009, 12:09 AM
Check out Reaper (http://www.cockos.com/reaper/). It's a relatively new DAW to the scene, but it is available for both Mac and Windows, and has been getting a lot of positive reviews by pro tools and logic users.

One of my friends recently switched from NUENDO to Reaper and he likes it quite a bit.

butterfly0fdoom
Nov 22, 2009, 01:59 AM
Hm That looks like a pretty good alternative.

Logic can't export the piano rolls into some form that REAPER could read, I'm guessing?

joe.cavers
Nov 22, 2009, 03:34 AM
You can export piano rolls as MIDI files, which any DAW should be able to read.

JC

deej999
Nov 23, 2009, 06:36 AM
Cubase it very popular and has dope pitch correction features for audio.
Ableton Live doesn't need introductions. Very cool.

I just recommended this to someone else. Why not watch some videos on Live, Logic, Cubase to get an idea on what each one is like. Look on youtube or better check out macprovideo.com where you can watch the first 10 or something videos of each tutorial for free online.

deej

butterfly0fdoom
Dec 6, 2009, 12:58 AM
Thanks for the help so far, REAPER definitely seems interesting.

The other question I have is where I can find plugins and whatnot that are the equivalent of Logic's software instruments? I honestly upgraded to Logic from Garageband without knowing what I was getting myself into, and I can honestly say that over the past 3 years, I still don't really know what I'm doing. haha D:

Capt Underpants
Dec 6, 2009, 01:32 AM
Thanks for the help so far, REAPER definitely seems interesting.

The other question I have is where I can find plugins and whatnot that are the equivalent of Logic's software instruments? I honestly upgraded to Logic from Garageband without knowing what I was getting myself into, and I can honestly say that over the past 3 years, I still don't really know what I'm doing. haha D:

Reaper can run any AU plugin. So any plugin that works in logic also works in Reaper.

Logic Plugins (http://***********/?q=logic+plugins)

butterfly0fdoom
Dec 6, 2009, 04:02 AM
Even Apple's software instruments?

deej999
Dec 6, 2009, 06:16 AM
Even Apple's software instruments?

No. The Apple Software instruments and effects plugs in Logic and GB are built-in and can not be used in other DAWs or standalone.

Which instruments are your favorites? If we know we can suggest 3rd party plugins.

deej

agmetal
Dec 12, 2009, 06:28 PM
On a somewhat related note, how would I go about getting Rewire to work between Reason 3.0 and Reaper?