PDA

View Full Version : Cool mac sub-community story....

whw5
Aug 1, 2004, 05:13 PM
So here I was in starbucks this afternoon using my 12inch powerbook when in walks a guy with a 14inch ibook. I thought this was really cool having to macs in the same starbucks at the same time. So I went over and talked to the guy when up walks a college girl who it turns out has a 17inch powerbook. We spent about 20min just discussing macs, ipods, and other stuff. It was pretty cool, here were 3 total strangers just talking to eachother like old friends because all 3 of us used macs. I don't think there is a single other thing in the world that would be able to allow you to make three new friends so easily. Have any of you had a similer experence? I just think its really cool....

kaylie_kipe
Aug 1, 2004, 05:18 PM
That hasn't exactly happened to me. But since I got one I know what my boyfriend is talking about when he says things like "dock." Before I had a mac I was lost as to what that was. Also, now that I have a mac I came here and you guys are kind of like a bunch of friends. So....yeah.

blackfox
Aug 1, 2004, 05:45 PM
Good little story...guess we band together as a minority.

I must mention, I was struck for some reason by your story w/ it involving Shiny Apple Hardware and a Starbucks...I had visions of black turtlenecks, $300 eyeware, and a subsequent discussion of the relative strengths of the various subdivisions of a Latte...

(Not meant to be taken personally, but I could not get the imagery to go away when reading...)

janey
Aug 1, 2004, 06:16 PM
hehe thats happened to me too :)
once i was at this starbucks on doheny or whatever, and there was a fellow Mac user...and a PC person nearby ;) and we all had great fun talking about computers. turns out the PC guy hangs out at teh same LUG i go to occasionally :p

themadchemist
Aug 1, 2004, 09:13 PM

I must mention, I was struck for some reason by your story w/ it involving Shiny Apple Hardware and a Starbucks...I had visions of black turtlenecks, $300 eyeware, and a subsequent discussion of the relative strengths of the various subdivisions of a Latte...

(Not meant to be taken personally, but I could not get the imagery to go away when reading...)

You're forgetting bongos.

broken_keyboard
Aug 1, 2004, 09:37 PM

Didn't that happen in the movie "Best in Show"
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0218839/

It is a comedy about a bunch of different people competing in a dog show. One of the couples are yuppies who wear nothing but labels and they met in a Starbucks when they both noticed each others Macs *snicker* Oh well at least the Mac has a reputation as a designer item.

virividox
Aug 1, 2004, 09:43 PM
yeah mac users when they spot others are drawn to each other; they just whip out their hardware and that gets conversations going :)

although WHY WERE U IN STARBUCKS!!! hehe

pivo6
Aug 1, 2004, 10:34 PM
Didn't that happen in the movie "Best in Show"
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0218839/

It is a comedy about a bunch of different people competing in a dog show. One of the couples are yuppies who wear nothing but labels and they met in a Starbucks when they both noticed each others Macs *snicker* Oh well at least the Mac has a reputation as a designer item.

Actually in the movie, the couple did meet in a Starbucks, but it wasn't the same one. They were each in a Starbucks across the street from one another.

OT: That's a cool story. It's never happened to me since I don't own a Mac laptop. Oh well

yahooz
Aug 1, 2004, 10:54 PM
So here I was in starbucks this afternoon using my 12inch powerbook when in walks a guy with a 14inch ibook. I thought this was really cool having to macs in the same starbucks at the same time. So I went over and talked to the guy when up walks a college girl who it turns out has a 17inch powerbook. We spent about 20min just discussing macs, ipods, and other stuff. It was pretty cool, here were 3 total strangers just talking to eachother like old friends because all 3 of us used macs. I don't think there is a single other thing in the world that would be able to allow you to make three new friends so easily. Have any of you had a similer experence? I just think its really cool....

I have had similar moments with Nikon cameras and fellow photographers :eek: :D

mymemory
Aug 1, 2004, 11:51 PM
Have any of you had a similer experence? I just think its really cool....

Yes:
1. Sharing pot is very common to make new friends.
2. When you get arrested depending on your crime you can make more friends, mine was shooting at the National Guard.
3. When a very sexy girl walks bye all the guys start to talk about her no mater if we knew each other.

and there are more. :rolleyes:

jefhatfield
Aug 2, 2004, 01:11 AM
i feel an affinity with anyone who is in public using a mac

i once met a marine biologist who had a clamshell ibook and we talked at length about how "tough" those little things are...he told me about the rough seas and bumps and bruises on a ship and how his laptop weathered it all

he just shuffles it around in his backpack and it's lasted him a long time...he used to have a pc but this type of abuse made parts break and fall off ;)

Abstract
Aug 2, 2004, 01:24 AM
I saw a girl with an iBook where we talked for a minute. It wasn't a long convo, but the fact that I met anyone because of a computer is odd.

Nermal
Aug 2, 2004, 03:25 AM
Last year, I ran into a friend in a café. I had my iBook in my bag, and he had a movie. We decided to copy it (I'm not condoning this :eek: ;)). I pulled out my iBook, and got a lot of interested looks. Someone made a joke when they saw me using Toast Titanium, "imagine eating titanium toast!". :D

musicpyrite
Aug 2, 2004, 11:11 AM

hehe, just like a bunch of strangers that go to an online chat forum to talk about everything from Macs to personal relationships with people they've never even met.

;)

gallagb
Aug 2, 2004, 11:31 AM
hehe, just like a bunch of strangers that go to an online chat forum to talk about everything from Macs to personal relationships with people they've never even met.

;)

haha! totally true
however- when i see other mac users in coffee shops/bookstores..etc i do feel a desire to go over there and tell them i think they have class or something

we should develop a secret handshake or something ;) (uh...just kiddin)

jefhatfield
Aug 2, 2004, 11:46 AM
haha! totally true
however- when i see other mac users in coffee shops/bookstores..etc i do feel a desire to go over there and tell them i think they have class or something

we should develop a secret handshake or something ;) (uh...just kiddin)

my employee belongs to a very well known cult (which i won't mention in this secton of macrumors) and his bond to his fellow "believers" is not as strong as macheads have with each other...even his twisted, out of touch cult uses "facts" more properly than macheads though....hmm, because some sub 1 ghz G4 processor beats a 2 ghz+ pentium 4 on some photoshop test must mean macs are "faster" than pcs in every aspect, yeah yeah, that's the truth ;)

my wife is greek and as a nationality, i have never seen a group of people who may be strangers be so smitten with someone they happen to chance on that is a fellow greek...it's uncanny but very much like mac users i see from time to time ;)

macusers have every bit of the makings of a cult...unreal enthusiasm, connection to strangers who are fellow mac users, a staunch refusal to listen/look at facts that show anything bad about the mac, and a strict desire to rewrite computer history in order to further a mac gospel agenda

the only thing the mac cult does not have is a self destructive behavior so machead culties are at least not in a destructive type of cult and they don't hurt non mac types...acutally they convert them and help them in the end by improving their high tech relationship with computers and getting the poor soul off of windows ;)

but windows/microsoft/pc machine users are not a cult, just a hindrance to themselves and others

MongoTheGeek
Aug 2, 2004, 12:04 PM
the only thing the mac cult does not have is a self destructive behavior

Remember how the forums get before WWDC or used to get before MacWorld? Mention G5 Powerbook or BluePod or 3 GHz by mid may...

mac_gal
Aug 2, 2004, 12:49 PM
My PB and I run into other Macs @ Starbucks quite often.

There's one guy at a Starbucks I frequent who brings in both his 12" and 17" Al PBs and uses them SIMULTANEOUSLY (why, couldn't tell you).

I've never bonded with any PB/iBook people at a coffeeshop. Once though, a guy came up and started talking to me about my PB. I thought he was a PC user, but then he started telling me about his G5 at home. ;)

rueyeet
Aug 2, 2004, 12:58 PM
macusers have every bit of the makings of a cult...unreal enthusiasm, connection to strangers who are fellow mac users, a staunch refusal to listen/look at facts that show anything bad about the mac, and a strict desire to rewrite computer history in order to further a mac gospel agendaYou forgot to list our willingness to donate large amounts of money to support our cult....or is that addicition? ;)

I don't think there is a single other thing in the world that would be able to allow you to make three new friends so easily. Have any of you had a similer experence? I think anytime you get people together around a specialized interest, it will become an ice-breaker and a starting point. Anyone who goes to conventions of any type has experienced this.

Doctor Q
Aug 2, 2004, 01:08 PM
I talk to strangers if I see they have an Apple product. It's a great ice breaker. But I tend to do the same if I somehow know I have other things in common with another person: being a math/computer geek, being stuck in a long line, being a fan of a certain music group, etc.

So when I'm in a long line at an Apple store event and the other person is wearing a Unix hat and a Foo Fighters T-shirt, we're instant friends!

Abstract
Aug 2, 2004, 06:11 PM
my wife is greek and as a nationality, i have never seen a group of people who may be strangers be so smitten with someone they happen to chance on that is a fellow greek...it's uncanny but very much like mac users i see from time to time ;)

So I guess you're not Canadian, eh? ;)

Canadians are like Mac users, but when we're in a foreign country. Once we see that flag on the backpack, its like we're part of the same cult. :)

Brother Michael
Aug 2, 2004, 06:39 PM
I have always looked at Mac's as being the Jeep of computers. Sure you can have a Lexus or Ford SUV, but would you really have the same experience in a Ford as you would in a Jeep (especially a wrangler)?

Do Ford owners get together and have weekend off-roading? Not really. For Jeep owners though, there are many off-road conventions that go on.

I haven't had the experience of running into another Mac user...but I hope that I do...

Mike