PDA

View Full Version : The growing number of UK members

edesignuk
Aug 1, 2004, 05:56 PM
Recently I've started noticing a lot more posts from new UK members. Good to see you all! :)

Is this a sign that the people of the UK are becoming more aware of the Mac alternative. Has the success of the iPod in the UK brought more "switchers"?

Anyway, post your thoughts, and just say hi if you're a brit, let's get a head count!

mkrishnan
Aug 1, 2004, 06:05 PM
Arrrgghh, just as the Canadians developed a dangerous lead over us in zamboni technology, the Brits now lead us in the application of three-button suit technology to political leaders. And now the iPod and MacOS itself? Is nothing sacred? :p

Welcome, all British! Hopin' switching is a piece-of-piss experience for you! (flexes his Brit-speak rather nattily) :D

edesignuk
Aug 1, 2004, 06:07 PM
Welcome, all British! Hopin' switching is a piece-of-piss experience for you! (flexes his Brit-speak rather nattily) :DNicely put, go on my son! ;) :)

themadchemist
Aug 1, 2004, 06:11 PM
the Brits now lead us in the application of three-button suit technology to political leaders.

I, for one, hope to lead the way in the reclaiming of dominance in the arena of three-button suits for the good ol' U.S. of A.

mkrishnan
Aug 1, 2004, 06:18 PM
I, for one, hope to lead the way in the reclaiming of dominance in the arena of three-button suits for the good ol' U.S. of A.

I'm standin' right next to you, rockin' my Kenneth Cole and my BCBG tie. :p

edesignuk
Aug 1, 2004, 06:19 PM
I have no idea what either of you yanks (;)) are on about :confused: :D

Abstract
Aug 1, 2004, 06:46 PM
The British are always a bit slow at catching up to things. Remember when they caught on to the toothpaste craze back in 1996? :p

themadchemist
Aug 1, 2004, 06:47 PM
The British are always a bit slow at catching up to things. Remember when they caught on to the toothpaste craze back in 1996? :p

Oh, man, that's great! You rock!

Yours is my official best post of the month. :D

Viv
Aug 1, 2004, 07:03 PM
Damn as soon as I move to Canada some one starts a thread up for brits.

I feel so excluded:-)

Viv

Nermal
Aug 2, 2004, 03:17 AM
I have no idea what either of you yanks (;)) are on about :confused: :D

Neither do I :confused:

edesignuk
Aug 2, 2004, 03:17 AM
The British are always a bit slow at catching up to things. Remember when they caught on to the toothpaste craze back in 1996? :pYou are funny!!!!*

*not funny

iGav
Aug 2, 2004, 04:29 AM
Anyway, post your thoughts, and just say hi if you're a brit, let's get a head count!

Hi, I'm iGav... ;)

Thoughts??? I'm thinking we should start arranging a London MR Posse gathering for around the time that Apple Store London opens... :D I know a great pub in Soho that is just round the corner! ;) :D

mouchoir
Aug 2, 2004, 05:43 AM
Hello, another person living in blighty. Only ever used macs (since I was 9), lucky me.

And only been using toothpaste since, hmmm, '96. Got sick of chewing bark and thought i'd give it a try.

m

dobbin
Aug 2, 2004, 06:20 AM
Yes, I'm from England.

No, I don't know the Queen (or your great Aunt Betty who lives near Oxford).

I live in Gloucestershire. That is pronounced Gloss-ter-sher, not Glock-ester-shy-er or Glue-Sester-shy-er.

;)

edit: forgot to say that I've been using Macs since about 1987

dobbin
Aug 2, 2004, 06:26 AM
Hi, I'm iGav... ;)

Thoughts??? I'm thinking we should start arranging a London MR Posse gathering for around the time that Apple Store London opens... :D I know a great pub in Soho that is just round the corner! ;) :D

When does the Apple Store open? I'd love to go to the opening, but I don't go to London much these days. Its going to be in Regent Street iirc?

Blackstealth
Aug 2, 2004, 06:31 AM
Another UK user signing in, located at the gateway to the Yorkshire Dales (Bradford).
Been a Mac user since 2000 when I fell out with Windows 98 :rolleyes:

oreo
Aug 2, 2004, 06:45 AM
Another uk mac user, I'm in Kent. I've only been a mac user for about 6 weeks now, but I've wanted one for ages.

kerb
Aug 2, 2004, 07:06 AM
Has the success of the iPod in the UK brought more "switchers"?

In my case yes. I bought an iPod and was infuriated with the problems I had with iTunes and my PC. I was getting a laptop for uni and for the first time took Apple into consideration.

Now I've switched...

...and I'm a brit.

oh yeah I've been using Macs since 1997 in the school's art department. Never owned one til now though.

caveman_uk
Aug 2, 2004, 07:07 AM
Hi, I'm caveman_uk and I'm.....a mac user. Have been since November 2002.

robbieduncan
Aug 2, 2004, 07:21 AM
Hi, I'm iGav... ;)

Which pub? Would it not be wiser to get a carry out, a cool bag and get in line? We should try and make this the most drunk Apple Store opening ever :)

geese
Aug 2, 2004, 07:28 AM
Its a bit like an Alco Anonymous meeting this! :D

I'm Geese, I've used Macs since my 5500 in 1997. I now use an eMac.

Not much else to add really. Although the best pub nearest Regent Street is The Cock off Oxford Street, on Great Portland Street.

Who concures?

fingers
Aug 2, 2004, 07:33 AM
I think it's good to see more Brits around these parts - I think the iPod has been incredibly successful in the UK - and hope this will translate to even more pommie posts in the future.

I have been a Mac user since 94 - hey it's my tenth anniversary! :)

I might be tempted for a drink to celebrate the Apple store opening - but fear the consequences - a credit card + a few pints + Apple store would equal financial disaster for me... I would want EVERYTHING!

GeckoHD
Aug 2, 2004, 07:59 AM
Another London based mac user here. Bought a 12" Powerbook about 6months ago after falling out with my Pentium PC laptop. So impressed I have decided to make the switch with the new 2.5ghz G5 to replace my desktop machine. I have been a PC user all my life (im 24), so this is a big thing for me.

However... if my G5 is delayed (it looks as if it might be) Im not going to be impressed. Spending almost £7,000 on a computer, id expect it to at least turn up on time!!

Btw, I work for Fabric nightclub in London. Most Londoners have probably heard of it :)

Mark James
Aug 2, 2004, 08:11 AM
Btw, I work for Fabric nightclub in London. Most Londoners have probably heard of it :)
What, pray, is a 'nightclub'?

mouchoir
Aug 2, 2004, 08:13 AM

Who does your flyers? I've been picking them up for years, they're great. If you ever need a new designer (shameless plug) i'd be up for it!

brap
Aug 2, 2004, 08:29 AM
Mac user for 2... wait, 3 years. Was RISC OS, Atari TOS and Amstrad BASIC before then. Oh, of course, PCs entered into the mix somewhere along the dirty trail.

Based in Canterbury, London is but a short hop away. So totally going to the Apple store Soho opening, I'm thinking it'll be a big deal, the first one this side of the pond. Definitely up for drinking, someone name the place... 'er and 'me will be there.

(Never heard of Fabric, we'll be off to Slimelight afterwards. Booyah!*)

*Dirty pilled-out cyber. Ahem.

mouchoir
Aug 2, 2004, 10:07 AM
Is there a date yet for the opening?

Blue Velvet
Aug 2, 2004, 11:00 AM
Are London-based Kiwis welcome?

15 years in the UK now...

kettle
Aug 2, 2004, 11:08 AM
'cos I've got a ban' new combine 'arvester, an' I'll give you the key...

ooh arr ooh arr

edesignuk
Aug 2, 2004, 11:22 AM

We'll have to think about that one, we'll get back to you...;)

:) :D

Viv
Aug 2, 2004, 11:25 AM

Lol, subtle play on words that! as if Kiwis are NZ based they all live in London:-)

viv

billtanderson
Aug 2, 2004, 01:56 PM
Another English chap here. Been a computer user since ZX81 days if anyone remembers them. Only recently (nearly a year now) saw the light and got myself a G5 2x2Ghz - wow. I love computers again after slowly getting to the point where I would not / could not use them at home.

Working away from how quite a lot I missed the the mac so much I now have a 12" iBook as well which is just so cute.

Of course an iPod was soon an essential purchase as well.

Looking forward to an Apple shop in London, visited them in New York and Chicago and they are definitely cool shops.

acceber
Aug 2, 2004, 02:00 PM
I am Australian. Britain is our "mother country" and we speak British english with an Aussie accent.

Ok, maybe not British enough...

cheekyspanky
Aug 2, 2004, 02:13 PM
Another Brit here, currently living in Wales, but usually in Portsmouth during term times. Been an Apple user since the crazy days of....2003, and just an iPod to my name still, hopefully i'll switch sometime soon!

I plan to be at the Apple store opening (I want one of those lucky bags!) so I'm sure I'll bump into some of you guys there.

James Craner
Aug 2, 2004, 02:19 PM
I am from Bristol in the south west of England. I work for an American company. I remember some colleagues visiting from the parent company in the US, bringing a guidebook to the UK with them that described Bristol as 'like Seattle but less interesting'!

I switched from Windows some two years ago, and started off with a Powermac G4 MDD. I have since added a Powerbook which I also use at work. As a result of using the powerbook at work, I have encouraged 5 people to switch to the Mac, which includes the European IT Manager ( iBook & eMac) , The Company Accountant (PowerBook), Two engineers (iBook and Powerbook) and the receptionist (eMac). I am currently working on the General manager who is interested in the new G5 iMac when released in September!

Gee
Aug 2, 2004, 02:46 PM
Another one here, from London (well Leicester originally). If you're looking for a pre-opening pub, the Albany at the top of Great Portland Street ain't bad. Or anywhere else that serves beer really. :)

Applespider
Aug 7, 2004, 03:45 PM
Count me in too - Scottish but living in London.

My first Mac was back in 1991 and only vanished last year (tho it had been sitting under my bed for most of the last 6). A friend showing me OSX made me switch back in January this year.

Am definitely up for Apple Store opening (or indeed heading out for drinks at any time) but have a horrible feeling that the opening date will end up being when I'm out in Chicago in October.

The best place to eat round there - and they do takeout for those in queues - is Bodean's BBQ smokehouse in Poland Street.

Sabbath
Aug 7, 2004, 04:38 PM
I'll definitely be there at the Apple Store opening I'm hoping itís going to be late autumn as hopefully I will be living in London by then.

Apple sure is taking off over here again and it all seems down to the iPod I so far have two switchers so far this year and another two chomping at the bit, as soon as they can find the money. I'm starting to wish Apple would be a bit more niche market again but then I'm just selfish.

ScotRobson
Aug 7, 2004, 05:42 PM
Hi all

Im right next to Gatwick airport (handy for holidays)-been a mac user for about 3 years now and have since got an iPod mini and a 4G iPod. I have switched two people to Macs and i'm working on my dad getting one. Also got loads of my PC user friends using iTunes (and they love it) and since they have seen my iPods they all want one! I think they will switch to Macs too.

Would love to go to the opening of the Apple store so I will probably be there!

Scot

Interiority
Aug 8, 2004, 02:59 PM
Hi All - Don't post much, but often read MacRumors. Based in the North-West but definately planning to be at the Regent Street opening.

satty
Aug 8, 2004, 04:00 PM
I assume I don't count as an UK Mac user: Born in Germany and bought my first Mac (G3 Powerbook) in Wellington, NZ, in 1999 - so it's my 5th Anniversary.

At the moment I'm a Surrey boy :)

evil_santa
Aug 8, 2004, 05:05 PM
Hi i'm Evil Santa & I have been using Macs since 1997 (pm 7600), I live in London, England. Though one day I would like to visit to London Kentucky (http://www.londonky.com/cityoflondon/index.html) :D

stevehaslip
Aug 8, 2004, 05:24 PM
hi, I'm in between places right now. I live in a village in between Lewes and Brighton and also while at uni in London. And oooooh the mac store opening in London is gonna be awesome!

Mark James
Aug 8, 2004, 08:10 PM
I don't understand this collective gusset-moistening at the impending opening of the London Apple Store. Does someone want to try and infect me with his/her enthusiasm?

stevehaslip
Aug 9, 2004, 03:49 AM
because now when we get a problem we can moan directly to apple, we don't have to go through any 3rd party companies or sit and wait on the phone. You can speak to someone on a face to face basis. Also we might get a genius! Plus the store itself will look super swank! :cool: If you're not excited then fair enough but its pretty cool that Apple decided that out of the whole of Europe, London was he best place to put an Apple Store. (yes the language thing could be something to do with it) But i think its a good thing.

iGav
Aug 9, 2004, 04:28 AM
I don't understand this collective gusset-moistening at the impending opening of the London Apple Store. Does someone want to try and infect me with his/her enthusiasm?

First in line gets a goody bag :p

RussianBlue
Aug 9, 2004, 05:55 AM

Oh yes, remember when the Yanks realised there was a war on and finally decided to join in (near the end). Now the Yanks have taken over the lead, as far as history is concerned, and it seams they even won the Battle of Britain!

Bloody incredible, well done Yanks :D

Hey edesignuk, I live in Essex and have been using the good o'l Mac since 1986.

crap freakboy
Aug 9, 2004, 08:12 AM
Another English chap here. Been a computer user since ZX81 days if anyone remembers them.

*puts arm up in the air* Yep learnt machine code at comprehensive school in Barnsley on one of those. Then moved onto a Research Machines thingy using extended basic. Been a mac user since 88.

Abstract
Aug 9, 2004, 08:18 AM
Sooo......are you saying that the British will not only catch up with the rest of the world in dental hygiene, but surpass us as well? :eek:

Anyway, I lived in London for almost a year, I'm from Toronto, and I now live in Wollongong just south of Sydney. There will always be a part of me that's British. Seriously, I count London as my home away from home, so I'm glad that London is getting it's own Apple Store. I don't even count the 'Gong or Sydney as being a 2nd home to be because it doesn't conjure up the same feeling. Its nice, but London is quite amazing. I love my big cities, and London is up there with the best. Toronto is as well, but not in the same way.

Toronto needs a storel, and we'll see it soon. :)

WinterMute
Aug 9, 2004, 10:02 AM
Yeah, me too, I'm here....

Well, I'm not actually in England at the mo, in North Wales till the weekend, but I'll be back in London then.

Gav, lets get another UK geekfest meet together, it seems the UK contingent is becoming larger and ever more vocal, besides, we need to calm RussianBlue down, otherwise the US will invade us next.... :D

I'm just nodding in, be back for real at the weekend.

You've missed me, haven't you? Go on... admit it... :p :cool:

Applespider
Aug 9, 2004, 10:13 AM

Going to a store where people think you're normal when you ask for a Mac compatible item rather than pointing you to the grottiest section of the shop and a row of empty/outdated shelves.
Easier to play with systems/software/peripherals before you buy them. Easier when trying to convince someone to Switch since they'll be able to see all the Mac compatible stuff.
The big wall of software that's available in Apple stores - suddenly able to buy something on impulse
Genuis bar who hopefully will be able to answer/fix random easy questions without having to send machine away for assessment
More likelihood of getting stock on launch dates as a flagship store than our current resellers have
Apple courses on getting the most out of software in their theatres

Being there for the opening (tho I don't think I'm up for camping out) - bargain goodie bags, Apple opening Ts, camaraderie of meeting fellow Mac fans

MemphisSoulStew
Aug 9, 2004, 12:11 PM
Evening all, I'm another Brit, living just inside the M25 in Staines, and also excited about the opening of the Apple Store. I've been to Apple Stores in Memphis and Tampa and had to stop myself from buying too much stuff, but it was hard putting things back on the shelf.

I've been a Mac user since 1999 when I bought a Rev B Bondi iMac as my first home computer, having used PCs and IBM mainframes at work. I've now got a new eMac, a 12" PB bought at the Apple Store in Tampa in May this year (saved £200 over the UK price) and my daughter has inherited my old G3 iBook. Anyone want to buy a Graphite 600MHz G3 iMac BTW?

I've been thinking about taking a day trip to Paris for the Apple Expo on 31st August - get the first flight out, see Steve Jobs' keynote speech, wander around the expo, catch the last flight home. Anyone else going over?

pinks
Aug 9, 2004, 01:28 PM
Hello all: another Scot living in London. A long-term Mac user with several near-antique Macs still operating at home: LCII (from about 1992), Performa 5320? (the one with the inbuilt TV tuner), Pismo PB and, since last week, a lovely 1.5Ghz G4 Powerbook + 20" Cinema Display.

I've now got a new eMac, a 12" PB bought at the Apple Store in Tampa in May this year (saved £200 over the UK price) and my daughter has inherited my old G3 iBook.

I'm off to Florida in a few weeks time and hope to go to the AppleStore in Orlando - seriously considering BT Keyboard, and my girlfriend would like an iPod mini. Plently of bargains to be had?

Perhaps see some you at the opening of the London AppleStore, whenever that may be.

Best,

Al

iGav
Aug 9, 2004, 01:52 PM
Gav, lets get another UK geekfest meet together, it seems the UK contingent is becoming larger and ever more vocal, besides, we need to calm RussianBlue down, otherwise the US will invade us next.... :D

Aha... Captain WinterMute, Ahoy there matey! me old mucker skip! :D

I was thinking about suggesting another MR Posse Pi$$ up around about the time of the opening of the London Apple Store (Oct/Nov) but I'm figuring that it's likely that alot of us might just meet up for that anyway, Mr Robbie has even suggested that we get carry outs and get merry in the queue (I really do like the Scots way of thinking! heheh)

But yeah... it's time for the 2nd MR London Posse booze up, August ain't good though neither is the start of Sept, but towards the end of Sept/early Oct have no plans for then, and I guess that it's far enough in the distance to maybe give people more warning.

MemphisSoulStew
Aug 9, 2004, 02:17 PM
I'm off to Florida in a few weeks time and hope to go to the AppleStore in Orlando - seriously considering BT Keyboard, and my girlfriend would like an iPod mini. Plently of bargains to be had?

Good luck with the mini - Tampa were selling out as soon as they arrived in May. I tried to get one for my wife but had no luck, but we're going back next week so I'll try again then.

Everything is cheaper so you'll find plenty of bargains, but don't forget local sales tax is added at the till. The BT keyboard is $69 + sales tax at about 6% = $73.14. At current exchange rates that's £39.72, £20 cheaper than buying it here. Also remember to take an empty suitcase to carry all your new stuff... :)

satty
Aug 9, 2004, 04:07 PM
Evening all, I'm another Brit, living just inside the M25 in Staines, and also excited about the opening of the Apple Store. I've been to Apple Stores in Memphis and Tampa and had to stop myself from buying too much stuff, but it was hard putting things back on the shelf.

Hi MemphisSoulStew

Wow, you live close to the airport... good for day trip to Paris.
I am "just around the corner" in Englefield Green.

Yep
Satty

pinks
Aug 9, 2004, 05:08 PM
Thanks for the buying advice MemphisSoulStew. Sounds like you and Satty live pretty close to my Uni - Royal Holloway.

All very coincidental.

Al

MemphisSoulStew
Aug 9, 2004, 05:43 PM
Nice - a little cluster of MR members near Heathrow. Maybe we should organise a MR London Posse booze-up in Staines one evening. We could all go and get jostled in The Litten Tree ;)

Wow, you live close to the airport... good for day trip to Paris

Yep, and even better <whispers and looks around to make sure no-one else is listening> I get cheap flights through work (which is how I can afford two trips to Florida in one year).

satty
Aug 9, 2004, 06:06 PM
Thanks for the buying advice MemphisSoulStew. Sounds like you and Satty live pretty close to my Uni - Royal Holloway.

All very coincidental.

Al

Hi pinks, hi MemphisSoulStew

watch out for a blue Audi A4 Avant with German registration and an Apple sticker on the back - that's me :)

satty

btw: the main building of the university is cooooooooooool.

satty
Aug 9, 2004, 06:10 PM
Nice - a little cluster of MR members near Heathrow. Maybe we should organise a MR London Posse booze-up in Staines one evening. We could all go and get jostled in The Litten Tree ;)

Is "the litten tree" on London Road?
I did work in an office - the big ugly brown one - on that street for a couple of months.

yep
satty

pinks
Aug 10, 2004, 06:27 AM

Sounds good, although I'm not often out at the University at the moment as its the summer holidays and no-one's around, and because my PhD research is largely keeping me in central London :( . Do keep me posted about any plans.

pinks

garybUK
Aug 10, 2004, 07:08 AM
aint that funny I lived in staines when i moved down there for work (the big brown glass building just off the crooked billet roundabout, on london road) i bought my powerbook ti, must've been something they put in the water!

anyways the litten tree is always a good place, or The Toad (the turd). :)

Staines Massive!

I beleive that half the two rivers is under water right now...

MemphisSoulStew
Aug 10, 2004, 07:53 AM
satty
The Litten Tree is the pub with the bouncers outside, in the High Street just along, and over the road, from the Post Office. Looks like you and garybUK may have worked in the same building...

I beleive that half the two rivers is under water right now...
Boots and Waitrose had to be evacuated when the roofs collapsed in the storm last week, and M & S and Woolies in the High Street were flooded. The whole town was gridlocked - wish I could have seen that, but I was stuck at work :(

Chappers
Aug 10, 2004, 08:20 AM
Chappers here in Cambridge - which looks like a tourist theme park at this time of year but without Mickey Mouse.
Mac user since the year zero.
Happy to see other mac users from UK.
Looking forward to Reagent street (even if my wife is not).

cropsy
Aug 10, 2004, 08:49 AM
Welsh fella, had a mac for... ooh, nigh on two weeks now. Have been using PCs (Windows & Linux) for yonks, and before that had a BBC Model B, Sharp MZ 700 and a C64. Yes, I am old.

I gotta say, I wish I'd switched years ago. I love OS X.