Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
I stopped by the local Apple store this weekend (haven't been there in awhile) and found that they no longer carry the shelves of games / software that they used to (Snow Leopard is about all they had). Are there any brick and mortar stores that still sell Mac games (not PC games that you can run on your Mac in bootcamp) and software ?

TDHXXX

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2009
I noticed that my local Apple store had gotten rid of all their games that weren't 'Family Friendly', i.e quake 4, fable .etc .etc and now only have lego games and spore .etc

kkat69

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2007
Atlanta, Ga
Microcenter if you have one, same with Frys. Some Best Buy's carry Mac stuff, not all. Fry's has the biggest selection where I am.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Ever since I got my first Mac (Mac II SI), there has been some local brick and mortar store nearby that sold software for it. Yes, you can buy it over the internet but, it cost more with shipping and it takes time before it arrives.

If I was a software developer, I would have second thoughts about developing for the Mac if there are no local distribution channels.

chill.

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2008
Ever since I got my first Mac (Mac II SI), there has been some local brick and mortar store nearby that sold software for it. Yes, you can buy it over the internet but, it cost more with shipping and it takes time before it arrives.

If I was a software developer, I would have second thoughts about developing for the Mac if there are no local distribution channels.

software developers have second thoughts because of DirectX, apple's lack of support for games, and 95+% of the world population uses windows

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
software developers have second thoughts because of DirectX, apple's lack of support for games, and 95+% of the world population uses windows

Yes but there are software developers that still write Mac programs. Without a local sales channel, I can see those developers going away. And who wants to buy a computer only to be told that they have to order software for it since they can't buy the software locally.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.