PDA

View Full Version : Elgan: Four things you need to know about Apple

MacBytes
Nov 21, 2009, 09:56 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: Elgan: Four things you need to know about Apple (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20091121225624)
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

martynmc7
Nov 22, 2009, 07:15 AM
Haha, I quite enjoyed that little list, and actually can't help but agree with al their points. This why Apple are a unique company, their world view (or should I say Jobs' world view) is different from most, which is both a blessing and a curse.

Though saying that, I'm not sure the app store process is as obvious even when viewed as suggested in the article...

elppa
Nov 22, 2009, 07:25 AM
If Apple doesn't want to be successful, then how come they make so much money, something must be going seriously wrong.

And with regards to Apple's “own unique world view”, how come their view of a portable media player is a lot closer to what most people want than the view held by Apple's competitors, with their presumably non-unique views.

Reading the article is like: naďve, wrong, false, FAIL, what? Oh give up.

Povilas
Nov 22, 2009, 09:58 AM
If Apple doesn't want to be successful, then how come they make so much money, something must be going seriously wrong.

And with regards to Apple's “own unique world view”, how come their view of a portable media player is a lot closer to what most people want than the view held by Apple's competitors, with their presumably non-unique views.

Reading the article is like: naďve, wrong, false, FAIL, what? Oh give up.

I guess the main idea behind is that Apple wants to provide the best experience to the customers and if you can do that you can say you have succesful business.

KeriJane
Nov 22, 2009, 10:15 AM

Oh, that's easy!

Most companies are all about Profit.
Even those companies that Once Upon A Time had someone like Steve Jobs in charge usually regress to a Profit-driven status. Probably Apple will devolve into such a mess once Steve is gone.

The problem with Profit-driven companies is well, the focus is all about Profit.

This means all those little things that don't directly contribute to Profit will shrivel up over time.

The corporate attitude tends to shift from:
Brilliant, innovative product that everyone wants
to:
Uninspired crud engineered to extract the maximum Price from the Suckers for the minimum Cost.

This happens all the time in business. A company has a Founder that truly believes in the product and produces it as best as he or she can. Profit is usually a lower priority with this sort of person. Paradoxically, producing a great Product often results in huge Profits because everybody wants one!

Then, over time, the MBAs take over the company and the downward slide progresses. The MBAs try to maintain the high Price the former products deserved while cutting the costs.

In the (hopefully far-off) future, Apple will probably be remembered as "The Jobs Era" and "Post Jobs". "Post Jobs" is unlikely to be an improvement.

Oh well,

Keri

PS. The company I work for went through this a couple of times :eek:

Povilas
Nov 22, 2009, 10:45 AM
Oh, that's easy!

"Post Jobs" is unlikely to be an improvement.

At this time there is no hard evidence to support such claim ;)

donga
Nov 22, 2009, 09:59 PM
i'm pretty sure apple wants to be a successful business, but business is not the top priority if you will.

this kinda reminds me of people saying do what you love and the money will follow.

Liquorpuki
Nov 24, 2009, 10:15 AM

No hard evidence but so much of Apple is an extension of Jobs' personality it be hard to imagine it being the same company if he wasn't around.

cwt1nospam
Nov 29, 2009, 11:11 AM
Actually, there is. Just look at the era between Jobs, from when he was ousted in the late 1980s until his return in the late 1990s. The first few years were ok, but then the company began to add lots of products that were ok, but not stellar. Soon, even the progress of the Mac OS was slowed, and by the end of that decade it was the failure of Copland to materialize that left the company looking like it couldn't perform. Apple was becoming another profit driven, mediocre company. That's what Jobs turned around.