Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mach1andy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 30, 2004
Los Angeles
I just picked up a 30 gig western digital caviar hard drive from a friend :D (it def. works) and formatted it with fat 32 in windows xp. I have a firewire case enclosure and set the drive in there to use with my powerbook. I have up to date software (10.3.3) and when I went to disk utility, nothing showed up besides my sad sad 10 gig internal hard drive :mad: . Any ideas on how I might get this sucker to work? (I currently have the pins set to 'slave' on the jumpers for the external hdd)

Thanks-

Mach1andy

Duff-Man

Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
stoid said:
I've never done internal drive + external case work, but it would seem that you might want to set it to master. Try that. :confused:
Duff-Man says...bingo....drive must be on master....I've put 2 together myself.....oh yeah!

mach1andy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 30, 2004
Los Angeles
no sleep till brooklyn

Still no love from the external-- put jumper on master... Does the drive have to be totally clean to show up (when i formatted it fat 32 with windows, i actually wound up installing windows on it too-- would that impact the detection?)

Mach1andy

Duff-Man

Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
mach1andy said:
Still no love from the external-- put jumper on master... Does the drive have to be totally clean to show up (when i formatted it fat 32 with windows, i actually wound up installing windows on it too-- would that impact the detection?)

Mach1andy
Duff-Man says...it *should* show up if you have it to master....if you launch System Profiler does it show up there?...it should not matter what is on the drive - if it is set to master properly and the cables and enclosure are all up to snuff Disk Utility should show it and let you initialize it...oh yeah!

yellowjacket

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2005
Shanghai
same problem!

hey mach1andy,

I've got the same problemas well. Maxtor 80GB HDD in an external case, works fine with my old xp laptop, but doesn't show up on my OSX 10.3on my PB. With the HDD plugged in (USB), System Profiler and Disk Utility stalls when I try opening them up. I've tried slave and master settings too. I don't get it!!!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.