Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dignan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 28, 2002
Now, lots of people say that apple will never make a digital camera, because they would have to make a great one, and the market is full, etc. Same for PDA, same for printers....Now, personally, with that stuff, I could give less of a crap if its hardware is apple (besides the pda). Why doesnt apple just take printers it likes, and design the shell? It would be really nice if such-and-such a company came out with a printer line that matches your imac or powermac in design. And none of this "make it titanium or white" crap, but really have ive or some other apple guys make the product, so instead of just trying to blend in with the computer, it really looks good by itself.

Then apple could take a cut of these products being sold...

Wishful thinking...

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
one of the biggest hurdles would be making it competitively priced. Having nicely designed computers is only one thing that Apple offers for the premium they ask - OSX, iApps, etc.

So with a printer there would need to be something more involved than what Epson, HP and all the others make.

D

kaltsasa

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2002
Kellogg IA
that would be very nice, apple printers once again. It would be just like the stylewriters, i belive my color stylewriter 2400 has the canon bcj-21 engine or something like that. But people would have to pay a premium for it and when you can get printers as cheap as free these days, It probebly wouldnt be cost effective for apple to seek out such an endevour, and waste precious R&D money on a printer instaid of the forever "next greatest thing"

Dignan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 28, 2002
Hmm...I dunno if you get what im saying. Im saying, HP makes a printer. Apple just makes the "shell"

HP makes it work, apple makes it pretty.

kaltsasa

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2002
Kellogg IA
I get it, but apple would still have to spend the money to design a matching shell, licence the printer engine from HP, and have standard Apple markup so that they make a bit of a profit too. The printer would cost more then the HP, and thus most people would go for the cheaper HP then the cool matching apple, even tho they are technicaly the same printer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.