PDA

View Full Version : iPhone casts a hex on games consoles

MacBytes
Nov 22, 2009, 03:57 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Games
Link: iPhone casts a hex on games consoles (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20091122165747)
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

dukebound85
Nov 22, 2009, 03:59 PM
lol these type of threads need to stop

a touch screen will never take off for a gaming platform

jmann
Nov 22, 2009, 04:06 PM
lol these type of threads need to stop

a touch screen will never take off for a gaming platform

Never say never. :rolleyes:

dukebound85
Nov 22, 2009, 04:08 PM
Never say never. :rolleyes:

in this case never means never

just like square "tires" will never be better than round tires lol

as long as a touch screen is the only means of input, then it wont take off

pdjudd
Nov 22, 2009, 06:05 PM
I recall that a lot of people said the same thing about the Wii - that it would flop without a traditional controller.

You can never say never and be 100%

Belly-laughs
Nov 22, 2009, 08:37 PM
what's stopping someone from making a traditional controller interface for the iphone/touch? it could include extra battery, shock/vibrate and would work as a protective case, something a lot of people use anyway.

dukebound85
Nov 22, 2009, 08:41 PM
what's stopping someone from making a traditional controller interface for the iphone/touch? it could include extra battery, shock/vibrate and would work as a protective case, something a lot of people use anyway.

apple is stopping that

NT1440
Nov 22, 2009, 08:47 PM
apple is stopping that

Uh, no they aren't. There are at least 2 physical controlpads being developed RIGHT NOW. They're just from small time companies so its going to take some time.

dukebound85
Nov 22, 2009, 08:48 PM
Uh, no they aren't. There are at least 2 physical controlpads being developed RIGHT NOW. They're just from small time companies so its going to take some time.

To my knowledge, apple has not released the sdk to implemenet the use of the dock controller so yes, apple is restricitng it

if it were allowed, you can bet they would already have been released...

NT1440
Nov 22, 2009, 08:50 PM
To my knowledge, apple has not released the sdk to implemenet the use of the dock controller so yes, apple is restricitng it

Um, they did in 3.0. Did you watch the keynote at all?

Why do you think there are all those new transmitters and such that take advantage of it?

dukebound85
Nov 22, 2009, 08:53 PM
Um, they did in 3.0. Did you watch the keynote at all?

Why do you think there are all those new transmitters and such that take advantage of it?
Thats news to me and google isnt saying it is implemented

you have a link? as i dont want to watch a whole keynote

seems you are right, however, whether apple allows such apps and whatnot is to be decided as i know this concept has been around since forever it seems with the iphone
http://www.aboutonlinetips.com/iphone-sdk-31-beta-2-and-iphone-os-31-beta-2-released/

NT1440
Nov 22, 2009, 08:55 PM

Sorry I don't have a link, but steve very specifically mentioned it and showed it off as a way to make medical devices, receivers, etc work with the sdk. Does that ring a bell at all? Sorry I can't find anything specific on google.

CalCanuck
Nov 22, 2009, 10:26 PM
in this case never means never

just like square "tires" will never be better than round tires lol

There are a few game controllers in the works. Not that you really need one.

http://gizmodo.com/5041574/iphone-game-pads-are-coming-to-enhance-gameplay-tenfold

ZebraineZ
Nov 23, 2009, 12:18 AM

if it were allowed, you can bet they would already have been released...

Ignorance is a bliss.

sammich
Nov 23, 2009, 12:26 AM

seems you are right, however, whether apple allows such apps and whatnot is to be decided as i know this concept has been around since forever it seems with the iphone
http://www.aboutonlinetips.com/iphone-sdk-31-beta-2-and-iphone-os-31-beta-2-released/

If you'll cast your mind back to the time before 3.0 came out, there were some articles regarding Apple wanting to rid themselves of their bulky POS PDA system and convert to an iPod Touch instead. But they couldn't because the iPhone OS didn't support external dock connector controls (not to say that they couldn't have made these private API's before 3.0 came out).

Now that 3.0 has been out for a while, Apple has only just gotten around to getting rid of it, as per the recent MR news article.

barkmonster
Nov 23, 2009, 06:17 AM
I disagree.

The standard gamepad layout of pad to the lower left and buttons in the same formation on the right is perfectly playable. Play earthworm jim on an iPhone or Assassins Creed, it's just like a gamepad and once you get used to not having the feel of actually pressing buttons etc... It's perfectly natural

OrganMusic
Nov 23, 2009, 07:27 PM
I recall that a lot of people said the same thing about the Wii - that it would flop without a traditional controller.

Umm, my wii controllers have buttons on them :confused:

nagromme
Nov 23, 2009, 07:43 PM
There's no question that games can work great on a touchscreen and/or tilt. Some kinds (RTS, path-based) are better with a touchscreen (especially without the need for a stylus). Others benefit from analog control--such as tilt--which other handheld consoles lack. And yes, still others benefit from physical buttons (but can still be fun without). It's very short-sighted to pick some specific control scheme and say that gaming without that one particular thing is not going to take off. Early consoles had tall joysticks and people said that today's two-hand controllers would never take off. People said the Wii would never take off. People said the DS would never take off.

They did. And so did the iPod Touch and iPhone. Gaming has long since taken off on mobile OS X.

Meanwhile, the app store, dev system and multiplayer-everywhere (iPhone) are huge advantages over a PSP or DS. As is the fact that Apple's game players take up no pocket space: they're built into the music player, phone or pocket PC you were going to carry around anyway. Not so with a PSP or DS.

Then add physical buttons--which, as has been pointed out, is very possible and allowed by Apple--if you see fit.

Umm, my wii controllers have buttons on them :confused:

It's still not a traditional controller--find an Xbox or PS3 and compare the controller to the Wii wand. And some did predict Wii would fail to catch on as a result. It even has lesser graphics power, and yet it DID catch on.

I don't think buttons are the key to Wii's success. I think the key is NEW ways of interaction that happen to actually be a lot of fun--much like the iPod/iPhone.

whooleytoo
Nov 24, 2009, 11:56 AM

It's done a fine job so far. It is a new challenge - and some game genres which require accurate and quick input are probably impractical - but that won't prevent it succeeding as a platform.

Plus, given Apple's new-found interest in marketing the iPod Touch primarily as a games platform, perhaps they'll release a gamepad (or gamepad & battery booster) accessory? Never say never..