PDA

View Full Version : What is the most intense 10 year period of your life?

jefhatfield
Aug 2, 2004, 12:19 AM
when i was watching larry king tonight, he was asking 84 year old hugh downs what his best decade was

so since i have been around only half that long and many posters have been here only a fraction of that,

then, what is the most intense (best/worst) five years in your life?

and finally, what is the best/worst single year of your life?

to start this thread my most "jam packed" decade was between age 23 to 33...

(age) 23 - i started off by getting married and dropping out of college and was divorced by 26,

24 - having my first real job (hardware store) outside of the family store where i had sold gift and tourist items since i was a small kid

25/26 - starting my first business which i still have

28 - getting my associate's degree,

30 - bachelor's degree,

31 - entering grad school,

32 - starting a working rock band, finally! (for three years)

33 - getting married again where i am at today, happy and fat ;)

the most intense five years would be between those years of 28 to 33

and the most intense single year would be the year i was divorced at 26 leading me to move to my grandmother's house, then getting a new girlfriend and then leaving her, and leaving my business behind, moving again, working in high tech for a while and moving again, and then coming full circle back to my original area and business (i don't think i would like to repeat that fiasco again ;) but i did my best prose and poetry in those times so something good came of it )

oreo
Aug 2, 2004, 04:17 AM
Good topic

Most intense would have to be the time between 20 & 30,
20 meet the person I'd marry
21 got engaged
22 moved out of home
23 got married
24 Changed careers, started having fertily treatment
25 Was told I probably won't ever have children
27 Decided to change careers again, started at university
28 split from my soon to be ex-husband, dropped out of university
29 applied for divorce, got my 1st mac, went to Walt Disney world by myself (from the UK) & going back to college

The most intense 5 years is the time between 24 & 29

The single most intense year is the last year of my life.

MacFan26
Aug 2, 2004, 04:21 AM
then, what is the most intense (best/worst) five years in your life?

and finally, what is the best/worst single year of your life?

Well, I'd have to say the most intense five years would be my four years of high school and first year of college. (99-04) I just turned 19 last friday, so I can't say I have a whole lot to pick from, but those are the years that probably mean the most to me. Getting out of stinking junior high, getting my drivers license, graduating in '03, moving a couple hundred miles to school away from my parents. Definitely the most eventful.

I'm not sure I could pick a single year, but I'd have to say '92 would probably be the worst. My grandmother was in the hospital for cancer and later died of it, and my dad was in the hospital for most of the year because of a stomach disease. He's fine now, but it was a tough time for my mother dealing with a 2nd grade kid, working full time, and having her husband and mother in the hospital. This past year could count for the best, since I've been in college I really feel like I'm finally where I would have liked to be a number of years ago. Being the optimist that I am, I hope it only gets better ;)

Zenith
Aug 2, 2004, 05:06 AM
I turned 21 in late June so I can't really say I've got a specific most intense decade of my life since I only remember one and a half. On the other hand I've got a clearly most intense 5 year and 1 year period of my life.

My most intense 5 year period would be from 1999 to 2004 as of this writing. Age 16-21.

16 - Started high school (I think it's high school) with weight on musical education
16 - First meeting with jazz and improvisation
16 - First private piano teacher, one of Norway's best pianists - Helge Lien
16 - First serious concert performed in front of a 800 people audience
16 - Got my first Mac (iMac 233 Bondi) and first major job as a webdesigner for a local growing company
17 - First self produced concert with self written tunes
17 - First serious girlfriend; not very long relationship, but serious
18 - Attended 4 practical/theoretical tests in order to get a place at the jazz division of NTNU University in Trondheim, and got it
18 - Almost killed myself from drinking too much alchohol at a christmas prom. Good experience.
19 - Moved out from home
19 - Started the jazz courses which will last until 2006 or 2008
19 - Started the jazztrio "Listen!" with me on piano, saxophone and tuba
19 - Toured Norway with "Listen!" and got sponsors
19 - Started developing my inner psychological health through modern psychology
19 - Played with several of Norway's best young jazz musicians, and got really good and established musicians as teachers
19 - Played at three big international jazz festivals in Norway with "Listen!"
20 - Bought an iSight and met several nice MacRumors people through videochat. Got a very good friend, Tiauguinho, and together we established "Team G5", a Mac based UT2k4 clan
20 - Toured Norway with a project called Jazz:aHead
20 - Toured Norway again with "Listen!"
20 - Travelled to Portugal to meet my partner in "Team G5" in real life
20 - Got to the final in the European jazz contest in Spain with "Listen!" and placed 2nd!
20 - Got to the final in the European jazz contest in France with "Listen!"(leaving tomorrow! Wish me luck)
21 - Played several concerts at ITEC 2004, international tuba conference, in Budapest, with "Listen!"
21 - Got to the final in the European jazz contest in Belgium (September)

Based on this list there's no doubt that my most intense year has been the year from 20 to 21. And it seems like things will get even more intense during the coming years. I hope we will get more international gigs based on the results from this summer's contests and gigs. At least I'm enjoying life at it's fullest right now, and living each day as a new and exciting day!

EDIT: Completely forgot about everything not related to music. And this list isn't any kind of a brag list, but just a list to point out what has affected me the most during the last five years.

tristan
Aug 2, 2004, 07:36 AM
Interesting question! My wife and I were talking about this topic - She's 29, I'm 32.

I think you guys are right, the 20s are usually the most exciting decade, you start out a kid, get married, get a house, car, maybe move around, get an education, etc.

I think most people just slow down and settle in during the 30s and 40s - buy a house, stay in the same city (probably the burbs) for ten years working at the same jobs, or similar jobs for the same companies. Have a couple kids, be a soccer mom/dad.

But my grandfather took jobs all over the world as an English teacher in his 30s and 40s and still managed to have kids. He lived in germany, vietnam, and thailand. Some people start businesses in their 30s/40s. And you can always raise your kids in the city, and take them to museums and plays rather than drive them to soccer games. So i think you can still make interesting choices in your 30s and 40s that still make those decades interesting. It's a challenge, and your peers might look at you funny, but deep down they'll be envious. I guess it's just about thinking different. :-)

Abstract
Aug 2, 2004, 07:48 AM
I just turned 24 a month ago, and the hardest 10 years of my life happened when I was between 6 and 16 years of age. Age 16 is the last time I saw my father, and 6 = 16 minus 10. Otherwise, the first 16 years was quite bad. Not seeing my father sounds like a bad thing, but it isn't. I stopped speaking to him when I was around 13.

I still remember him kicking my mom when she was lying on the ground, unconscious, I believe. I can't remember because I was younger than 5 at the time. And if that was the only thing, I wouldn't have stopped talking to him like I did. He is my dad. Has your dad ever showed you his gun that he "borrowed from a police officer friend" of his? Yes, I believed him despite being 13 and probably smarter than him. Why? Again, it's because he's my dad. Or he 'was' my dad....

My parents (finally!) got divorced when I was 15, and I saw him once in a while until my 16th birthday. That was the day I decided to cut the cancer out of my life. Since then, he has left quite a few number of debts and continued to leave my mom's/our home phone number as a contact number, so companies and debt collectors just harrassed my mother and home until I was around 19. That happened even when my dad was around, so that wasn't so different.

My mom was so stressed all the time. Thinking back (now that I'm truly old enough to think back and understand what really happened through my memories), my mom didn't take out her stress out on us, but once in a while, she did. She had to. She put up with so much crap each day for as long as I can remember. Having us kids around is what kept her sane, so she kissed and hugged us a lot, and we didn't mind. Its what kept her warm and fuzzy.....and human.

Plus, my mom got remarried when I was 18 or so, and since then the sun shines a bit brighter for my mom. She's so relaxed now that she barely worries about anything. She just lies there with her newspaper....like a cat or something (if cats could read). :)

acceber
Aug 2, 2004, 01:56 PM
Touching story, Abstract. Interesting that you and I probably don't live that far apart as well.

The most intense ten year period of my life would have to be the ten years up to now. I wish I was a kid again sometimes because seriously, when you're that young, you don't have to worry about study, or money, or getting a uni degree, or any of that conforming to society crap that is expected of you.

Daveman Deluxe
Aug 2, 2004, 03:22 PM
Well, I don't think I could pick a single most intense decade since I only have two decades under my belt. Definitely the last five years have been the most intense five years of my life though.

15: Finally got into music, singing in choir at high school. I took up the drums later on. Spent a huge part of the year putting way too much time and energy into a relationship that was going nowhere.
16: I took up the piano and discovered I have some talent for it. I tried (unsuccessfully) to learn to play the guitar, too. I finally gave up on aforementioned relationship, burning a lot of bridges in the process--some were my fault, some through no fault of my own. This was my best year in high school--I actually did stuff with some friends for a change. I learned a lot about who I am that year.
17: Spent a lot of the year trying to figure out what I wanted from my last year of high school. I actually got involved with some activities, for a change. I did yearbook, and I was in the varsity level choir. I finally settled into a group of friends--they were temporary friends, which was fine, but friends nevertheless. I went out with a girl for about a month, but we never should have gone out in the first place.
18: Went to college in my hometown, as a music major. Worst year of my life, so far. I was living at home, which was a huge mistake. I made probably two friends the entire year. I grew increasingly frustrated with the way things are run at my church, and increasingly unhappy with my own role in the youth ministry.
19: Got my local ministers' license, and grew more and more dissatisfied with my role in the youth ministry. But this was by far the best year of my life. I fell in love and subsequently got my heart broken (she wasn't a bitch, she just didn't want to go out with me) but gained a lifelong friend in her by the end of the year. I moved out of home winter term into a co-op for Christian men, and it has been nothing but blessing, and made several friends who are very dear to me and who have been a tremendous blessing. I got involved with one of the on-campus ministries and, I think, have found where I'm supposed to be with regards to ministry for now. I decided not to renew my minister's license, and am looking at careers in teaching. I also decided to take it easier during college and spend five years getting my B.A. instead of four.

MongoTheGeek
Aug 2, 2004, 03:40 PM
Lets just say that I started typing it but couldn't get through it.

Chip NoVaMac
Aug 2, 2004, 04:44 PM
Well here it goes:

1982 - lost my Mom

1983 - my lover attempted suicide. He then decided to split up two months later.

1984 - lost 12 friends to AIDS, including a friend that helped me with my coming out.

1985 - new lover defrauded a local bank out of $250,000. Bought me a car with the money (Pontiac Feiro), and a visit from the FBI.

1986 - the owner of the BBS that hosted my AIDS/STD info board is caught in a string operation, and in the process my board is history.

1987 - my "soul mate" who I was engaged to decides to call off the wedding.

1988 - suffered a nervous breakdown.

1999 - ended up moving 3 times in one year. Two bad room mates, till I got my own place.

1990 - job offer in DFW, given just 30 days to get there.

1991 - job in DFW downsized in just 6 months. Given 30 days to get back to DC, or be left without a job in DFW.

1992 - my Dad dies a week after my birthday. Then my uncle, who was like a second Dad, dies just 3 days before Christmas.

Why doesn't kill us, only makes us stronger.....

musicpyrite
Aug 2, 2004, 04:50 PM
Me only be 15, 2/3 of my life would be the most intensive

1994 - sister born
1995 - blah...
1996 - blah again
1997 - blah some more
1998 - great grand mother died (old age)
2000 - moved to Georgia from California
2001 - grandfather died of throat cancer
early 2002 - dad quit job 'cuz boss was an ass, moved to Massachusetts
2003 - started high school (technically I was a freshmen, but I was taking AP and sophomore classes)
2003-2004 - almost failed English and Latin classes
2004 - got my first 'real' job making $5 an hour mowing laws

Worst - 2004

Wow! Just one exciting thing after another!

:(

FriarTuck
Aug 2, 2004, 06:23 PM
2004 - Invented time machine
1066 - Battle of Hastings, helped Bill out a little bit with planning.
1969 - Moon landing. Watched on TV with gf Brigitte Bardot.
1776 - T Jefferson had writer's block. Gave him a few hints.
33 - Un freaking believable.
399 BC - Trial of Socrates. Chewbacca defense does not work.
1965 - Invented Veg O Matic. Thought it was silly, gave it to Ron P.
1889 - I knew from the moment he was born that Adolph kid was bad news.
1492 - Chris had map upside-down. Helped him out.
1998 - Steve wanted to call it the sMac, but I convinced him otherwise.

Ten intense years.

NusuniAdmin
Aug 2, 2004, 08:37 PM
I am only 15 thus i cant pick a decade really. But i can say the last 3 years have been the most intense and have had the most things change.

12 = entered 7'th grade, got myself jumped, beat on, some punk found my locker combo and kept throwing trash in it.....discovered i hate this school\

13 = entered 8'th grade....this was even worse than being 12.....

14 = went to public school for part of the year then transferred to a private school. If i stayed at public i definitly would have had a mental breakdown. The private school cost too much so im going back to public next year in 10'th grade in hopes that it will be better. Got my test results back for a huge test during private school and scored above average on everything cept writing and spelling.

And for the first (approx.) week of being 15 - my grandma was in the hospital and died just on saturday :( :( :( :( :( Currently writing a version of my app which will be dedicated to her. Has many things hapen like today i went to finally get my new comp... Went to compusa and got a 14" ibook and it did not work at all. so we went back and got another and tryed it there and it was broken as well. Left and went to local apple retail store and got a 15" powerbook (dont ask..after the ibooks my dad wanted to pay tons more for powerbook) and it ran fine there....i began filling out my info when the hard drive heads crashed somehow. Now im here waiting for upgrades for my current mac to come in...not gonna get a new one till tiger release.

So generally speaking the last 3 years (including 1 week of being 15) has sucked majorly....hoping the next couple years get better.

MongoTheGeek
Aug 2, 2004, 10:43 PM
I am only 15 thus i cant pick a decade really. But i can say the last 3 years have been the most intense and have had the most things change.

12 = entered 7'th grade, got myself jumped, beat on, some punk found my locker combo and kept throwing trash in it.....discovered i hate this school\

13 = entered 8'th grade....this was even worse than being 12.....

14 = went to public school for part of the year then transferred to a private school. If i stayed at public i definitly would have had a mental breakdown. The private school cost too much so im going back to public next year in 10'th grade in hopes that it will be better. Got my test results back for a huge test during private school and scored above average on everything cept writing and spelling.

So generally speaking the last 3 years (including 1 week of being 15) has sucked majorly....hoping the next couple years get better.

Jr High was absolutely miserable for me. The thing that saved my sanity was transferring to a magnet school for 9th grade. Had I stayed where I was the kids at Columbine would have been seen as wannabe's. As is noone was hurt maimed or killed. Things'll get better. Go rent Pump Up the Volume.

mcarvin
Aug 3, 2004, 12:56 AM
It's funny that this question comes up at this particular point in time, so here goes:

21 - Went to 2nd-tier university near Philly. Got accused of something very nasty during a drinking/smoking bender. Was found the equivalent of 'not guilty', and didn't return the following semester. Decided that I really didn't want to be a lawyer, thereby wasting a good amount of education.

22 - Discovered Quark and Photoshop, and that AOL-thingy.

23 - Met some girl in a design class. Grandfather dies an ugly death from lung cancer.

24 - Grandmother dies an uglier death from lung cancer, one year and 3 days after my grandfather. Start thinking that I can make a living off this internet crap.

25 - Got first web design gig because I could make an animated gif. I quit after I realized my salary equated to just below minimum wage. Yes, I was stupid.

26 - Started temping for a creative placement agency in Philly. I got placed at some pretty cool places, then I got placed at an educational publisher in Princeton.

27 - Still working in Princeton. Got out of debt. Proposed to that girl from design class and we move in together.

28 - Got married :). Found out my then-Creative Director plagiarized some stuff. Lost respect for him in a very visible way.

29 - Actually, this was a pretty quiet year. Hated my boss, but whatever.

30 - My wife's cousin (Boy) moves in with us. I'll go on the record and say that that wasn't the wisest decision we made. We quickly find that he's dishonest. Example: Boy, due to his familial situation, gets 100% financial aid for college. So of course, he signs up for 4 courses, gets an A in one, Withdrawals in two, and a non-attend in the 4th course. This doesn't sit well with us.

31 - Gave Boy the boot. Gave the edu publisher the boot. Considering giving my design career the boot too. The funny thing is that I'm happier than I've been in a long time.

Daveman Deluxe
Aug 3, 2004, 03:58 AM
33 - Un freaking believable.

I laughed SO hard at that one! :D Of course, it was probably more around 29 AD that Jesus was crucified... Gregor was off in his estimation of the year of Christ's birth by four or five years.

Neserk
Aug 3, 2004, 02:09 PM
20's. But I'm 34, so we will see how the 30's go.

So far the 30's have had more good stress than bad stress as my 20's did.