Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fowler

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 22, 2009
GA
I downloaded some icons, but they won't show when I paste them onto the original. :confused:

I'll select, then paste the .icns onto it, but it just shows up like this:

2cypstd.png

That "ICNS" picture, instead of the icon...

Is it the wrong file type? I thought I was doing it right :x can you help me figure out what's wrong?

MrCheeto

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2008
I've had this issue before. Sounds like the wrong file type I can't remember what to do about this.

I'm going to assume you downloaded some Icns files. If I remember right you have to change the file format. Give Candybar a try?

I'll be able to help you out more when my MacBook Pro arrives.

fowler

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 22, 2009
GA
The file format must be in .PNG for icon files. Try a converter or see if you can do it in Preview.app

I coverted it but I'm getting this now:

qqbcya.jpg

The "png" preview thing..?

Is there a way to solve the problem without Candy Bar? I don't have any money to buy the program...

MrCheeto

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2008
I think you are copy/pasting the Get Info icon, try clicking the FILE of the icon and copying it, then paste it to the Get Info icon.

fowler

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 22, 2009
GA
I think you are copy/pasting the Get Info icon, try clicking the FILE of the icon and copying it, then paste it to the Get Info icon.

No, I've been copy/pasting the the icon I want to use the whole time. :(

axeldtf

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2007
i'm having the same issue, the icns files work fine on my imac but are not working on my macbook. they do not have to be png files, the icns file should work.

MrCheeto

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2008
Let me explain what I've done.

I had the Burn Folder in the Finder app that I wanted to change. The file in Finder is a icns and the file I wanted to replace it with was also an icns.

I named the custom icon the exact same as what was in the Finder app. I then deleted the original and put the custom icon in its place.

Restarted the Finder, ét voilá!

Screenshot2009-11-24at50243PM.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.