PDA

View Full Version : balding? graying?

jefhatfield
Aug 2, 2004, 01:03 AM
how many of you guys/gals out there have problems with your hair, or lack of it?

do you color your hair? wear a toupe? have any of you had hair transplants?

iGav
Aug 2, 2004, 04:19 AM
I'm receeding and thinning on top... and I'm only 26 :eek: :( so I usually adopt a #1 cut now, which I don't actually mind, that said, it's not all that long ago that I had dreads :D

I've done the whole hog though in my time, every colour under the sun red, blue, green, bleached, mohawk even bleached spots :eek: :p

Kind of miss being able to change my 'do though... :(

Here's me with and without... :p

MacRy
Aug 2, 2004, 05:16 AM
Bad luck iGav. Same thing happened to me. I used to have dreads and lovely lock locks and then at about your age I started losing it and now at 32 i'm down to a grade 0....

By the way - no cats were harmed in the making of that photo!

MongoTheGeek
Aug 2, 2004, 08:15 AM
I've had hair and lost it and grew it back. Before I lost it I thought it was actually creeping forward. Having a 16 year old son is starting to give me grey though.

iPC
Aug 2, 2004, 09:39 AM
i am good to go. 29 yrs old (30 in feb) and not a gray hair yet! no balding either! :cool:

MacRy
Aug 2, 2004, 10:09 AM
i am good to go. 29 yrs old (30 in feb) and not a gray hair yet! no balding either! :cool:

Don't take this personally - I hate you. *sob*
;)

Roger1
Aug 2, 2004, 11:14 AM
Goin' bald. Of course, my @#$%head brother, who is two years older than me, has all of his hair. Oh, well, I clip it short now anyway. :p . Maybe I'll go for the Gallager look one of these days. :D

acceber
Aug 2, 2004, 01:51 PM
Hmm, I have all of my hair. Then again, I'm 17.

But thanks, I now have an insight into the personal experiences of somebody other than my own. Shouldn't be taking my hair for granted.

pivo6
Aug 2, 2004, 03:36 PM
I'm 38 and have had thinning hair on top for the last 5 years or so. Now I just have the barber cut it "skin tight". My wife actually prefers it that way. According to her, a comb over is grounds for divorce :D :D

My hair is way too short to determine whether its graying or not. I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.

belair
Aug 2, 2004, 03:47 PM
I am only 25 and my hair is starting to turn gray.
It's not that bad but everytime I go to the hairdresser ( I change a lot) they tell me :"Oh look you got some grey hair"
And I know.
Just keep cutting.
I hope that I turn grey before I turn bald tough. Grey hair doesn't fall off. According to the saying at least.

Sun Baked
Aug 2, 2004, 03:49 PM
Give me a couple weeks to let the hair on my face grow in, and I'd start looking a bit like iGAV's tar...

Except the hair is starting to turn Phil Donohue white. :(

vniow
Aug 2, 2004, 03:56 PM
I tried to dye my hair a light grey once, didn't quite work however. Thinking about trying again when I get some extra ca$h...

Unfortunately most of what I could find at the store gets rid of grey, not adds it in, grrr...

emw
Aug 2, 2004, 04:10 PM
since it's all turning gray. 35 and I might as well be 50.

Chip NoVaMac
Aug 2, 2004, 04:24 PM
Started to lose my hair at 25, and for the past 10 years I use a #1 or shave it completely. The grey doesn't show that much clipped with a #1.

MrSugar
Aug 2, 2004, 04:34 PM
I am 19 and have very thin hair that was starting to fall out (bad genes in the family :/) I take a generic form of Propecia. It has been about 6 months, it's working to stop my hair loss.

wdlove
Aug 2, 2004, 04:39 PM
I'm very fortunate that I inherited my genes from my mothers side of the family. Still have a full head of thick hair. Never dyed my hair. I happen to be very pleased with the way that my hair has grayed.

phonemonkey
Aug 2, 2004, 05:16 PM
24 and bald as a mfer. So I shave it. Makes me look cool onstage with the band though.

Thomas Veil
Aug 3, 2004, 06:23 AM
I'm 48. My hair's been receding for years, but very slowly, so I've still got enough that it doesn't look too bad. My younger brother has receding hair and is balding at the crown. I feel bad for him.

But I feel worse for my son, who's in his mid-20s. I didn't really notice it until he decided to shave his head very close, but he's receding even more than I am.

That's just sad.

As far as coloring...my wife swears she likes my little bits of gray at the sides. But I don't. I didn't want to go from salt-and-pepper to my natural brown color overnight, so I tried that Grecian Formula stuff to gradually darken it. Now that I'm "covered", I think it's time to go for some regular hair coloring.

Thank goodness they have that stuff for men now, so we don't have to buy anything with the name Clairol and a woman's picture on it. :D

cr2sh
Aug 3, 2004, 10:23 AM
Today is my 25th birthday and my head is at least 40% gray.

Though it seems to be slowing down, I'm very confident I will be completelly gray by the time I'm 30.

That said, my girlfriend was first attracted to me because of my hair... it makes me look all distinguished and hot. Sometimes I turn myself on.

me_94501
Aug 3, 2004, 12:16 PM
I'm 21 and as faqr as I can tell, I still have all my hair. My grandfather on my mom's side had the receding hairline at the temples but he never went completely bald. My father started to thin in his mid 50s, and his father had a full head of hair when he died. Complete baldness doesn't seem to run in my family.

I know, you guys hate me now. :P

When it comes to graying though, it's another story. My father went gray fairly early but my mother stil has mostly brown hair and she's in her 60s. My sister is 31 and she's been going gray since her early 20's (yes, she dyes it).

zimv20
Aug 3, 2004, 01:37 PM
in '99, i developed classic male pattern baldness.

the woman who cuts my hair noticed it first. i went to my doctor, who advised me to skip the liver-damaging hair drugs and just let it fall out. i went to a chinese doctor, who despite claiming he can cure AIDS and cancer, said there was nothing that could be done.

i quit my job. within two months it had all grown back. even today, i still have no signs of balding.

rainman::|:|
Aug 3, 2004, 01:41 PM
Because of a rare genetic disorder, i have white spots of skin, and several are on my scalp-- they produce white hair (not gray, but white, or albino) so i have these lovely shock-white streaks. I've grown my hair out lately so you can't see them, which is great-- it's annoying to have people keep asking me about them.

Looking at my family, i should have a solid head of hair until around 30, when it will begin to thin out... i figure i'll start using rogaine in the next few years, just preventative.

paul

jefhatfield
Aug 3, 2004, 08:55 PM
i have always had a cowlick where the hair was thinner but it has never gotten worse in 25 years but if i lose hair it will probably start there

in my mid 30s i noticed more gray than ever before so i pulled them all out and improved my hair's overall look...i put the hairs in an envelope and saved it and since then i haven't done anything since i feel it's ok for me to get more white and gray hair as i go through my forties...if i am lucky i will have more color than not when i turn 50, but it's not in my control so i don't worry anymore

i won't color my hair if all of a sudden i start looking older like some men do...if i was a woman, i think i would resort to coloring my hair..it's strange how society puts a lot less stress on men and how they look

virividox
Aug 3, 2004, 09:23 PM
i have 2 or 3 silver strands, thats about it; my dad is bald, but my moms hair is thick, and i got her hair so i hope i wont bald, but im still young too early to tell

me_94501
Aug 4, 2004, 01:35 AM
When I was an infant, I actually had pathces of gray hair.

acceber
Aug 4, 2004, 02:29 AM
When I was an infant, I actually had pathces of gray hair.

That's interesting. I was born with a full head of hair. :)

Chip NoVaMac
Aug 4, 2004, 05:01 AM
One thing that I seem to note from some of the posts, that there seems to be more greying , thinning and baldness at a younger age.

caveman_uk
Aug 4, 2004, 05:21 AM
I've been graying since my early 20's (I'm 34 now). Hair's now thinning a little bit on the temples - otherwise it's quite thick. If it starts getting too bad I'll just adopt a shorter cut. No comb-overs for me...it makes you look like a twat.

Neserk
Aug 4, 2004, 06:16 AM
Nope :p Actually, there is female patterned baldness.

Not even graying, yet. My time will come...

MacRy
Aug 4, 2004, 09:38 AM
INo comb-overs for me...it makes you look like a twat.

Dude that really made me laugh. Don't beat around the bush - just tell it like it is. Plus it's true....you do look like a twat with a comb-over. :D

Awimoway
Aug 4, 2004, 02:29 PM
Baldness is a typical pattern of hair loss in men, caused by hormones and genetic disposition. Baldness is determined by multiple genetic factors; it cannot be categorically stated that baldness follows either parent's line, or that it skips a generation.

University of Ottawa (http://www.uottawa.ca/health/information/men-balding.html)

My brother, without a doubt, has our father's father's hair pattern, a widow's peak that is well underway at the tender age of 27.

I, on the other hand, at 28.75 years old have no gray and no hair loss whatsoever. My hair color changed when I was about 21, though. Growing up it was red with blond highlights. Since age 21 it has been blond with red highlights. Girls envy it. But a fat male slob like me doesn't really get much mileage out of my colorful hair. In fact, it's kind of dry and stubborn hard to comb so I usually keep my hair really short so I don't have to comb it at all.

But my beard is dark red.

blackfox
Aug 4, 2004, 05:16 PM
i quit my job. within two months it had all grown back. even today, i still have no signs of balding.
You know this brings up an interesting observation and conclusion...

Living where I do, there are a great many homeless people on the streets...and whatever their problems might be, they all seem to have a full head of hair...

Perhaps you are on to something...

As for myself...a hair shy of 29 (ahem), and I have probably 90% of the hair I had at 15. My hair line has receded perhaps an inch (at the most) at the temples, and thinned a little on top. It is difficult to judge, as I have extremely thick hair to begin with, and have always had a high hairline/large forehead...

Looking at family patterns is inconclusive...so I guess I am better than some, worse than others....

me_94501
Aug 4, 2004, 08:24 PM
That's interesting. I was born with a full head of hair. :)
Let me rephrase that :P

I was born with a full head of hair too, but there were actually some parts where it was gray.

KingSleaze
Aug 5, 2004, 12:12 AM
Facial hair went white (not grey) so I went clean shaven after my 40th. Hair on top is getting thin, oh well. :)

Foxer
Aug 5, 2004, 12:42 AM
Used to have a full hair. Real full. Started losing it my freshman year of college, and by my junior year, my housemates were ordering me Hair Club stuff for their amusment. Basically all of it was gone off the top by the time I was 26, and then it has been stable for the last 6 or 7 years. Sides are still as thick as ever. Grey started showing up in college, too.

Back when I had all that hair in high school, I said that I hoped I would have the dignity to go bald/grey and live with it - so I do.

I actually would like to shave it all off, but my wife promises me that she'd leave immediately if I did. I'd look like a freak anyway.

MacRy
Aug 5, 2004, 08:32 AM
You know this brings up an interesting observation and conclusion...

Living where I do, there are a great many homeless people on the streets...and whatever their problems might be, they all seem to have a full head of hair...

Perhaps you are on to something...

Actually I read somewhere that the reason a lot of homeless people have a good head of hair is because a lot of them are alcoholics and the booze supresses testosterone which is a major contributor to hair loss.

Sun Baked
Aug 5, 2004, 08:46 AM
Sides are still as thick as ever. Grey started showing up in college, too.

Back when I had all that hair in high school, I said that I hoped I would have the dignity to go bald/grey and live with it - so I do.

I actually would like to shave it all off, but my wife promises me that she'd leave immediately if I did. I'd look like a freak anyway.Funny, if anything has thinned out it's been the sides. Run my hands through my hair and the area around the ears seems thinner than from my high school days. :eek:

Probably end up with a male pattern mohawk when I'm 100 years old.

But I also avoid any of the full-body hair products these days that make the hair swell up, because they make me feel like I have a wookie sitting on my head. ;)

Of course we also have more stress (seems like it's rampant everywhere instead of just in the Type A people) and more crap we dump into the follicles than in the old days, which isn't good for trying to keep your hair.

blackfox
Aug 5, 2004, 03:31 PM
Actually I read somewhere that the reason a lot of homeless people have a good head of hair is because a lot of them are alcoholics and the booze supresses testosterone which is a major contributor to hair loss.
Finally, a validation for my frequent bar outings...excellent :D

zimv20
Aug 5, 2004, 04:36 PM
Finally, a validation for my frequent bar outings...excellent :D
...and quitting your job and stoppage of rent payment :-)