PDA

View Full Version : how do you make blue jeans faded?

slipper
Aug 2, 2004, 03:27 AM
i bought a pair of pants on ebay and the color just annoys me. its to blue, is there a way to make it faded looking besides washing it 100 times?

iGav
Aug 2, 2004, 04:09 AM
Tie them to the back bumper of your car, and drive down a dusty, gravelly road for a few miles, then repeat the process on the other side of the jeans. :eek: :p

Hey presto should tone down the colour a little, and also give them that authentic 'distressed' aesthetic! Sweet! :D :p

brap
Aug 2, 2004, 05:08 AM
i bought a pair of pants on ebay and the color just annoys me. its to blue, is there a way to make it faded looking besides washing it 100 times?
Wear them.

A lot.

Abstract
Aug 2, 2004, 07:27 AM
Do what most clothing retailers do: Paint a white stripe down both legs, thus simulating the effect of worn jeans without the history, sentimentality or comfort from an actual pair of worn, faded jeans.

Or you could just wash them with laundry detergent and a touch of bleach. I don't know how well that would work, but you would make an excellent test subject on which to prove this wacky theory of mine so that we can all learn from your experience. :p

MongoTheGeek
Aug 2, 2004, 08:12 AM
Do what most clothing retailers do: Paint a white stripe down both legs, thus simulating the effect of worn jeans without the history, sentimentality or comfort from an actual pair of worn, faded jeans.

Or you could just wash them with laundry detergent and a touch of bleach. I don't know how well that would work, but you would make an excellent test subject on which to prove this wacky theory of mine so that we can all learn from your experience. :p

Its called acid washing. You have to be careful or it goes white. Used to be real hip in the 80's to have bleach stained jeans...

Stone washing was in for a while. This gives a more realistic faded look.

Blue jeans are usually dyed with indigo. A plant die which is an ugly green color until it dries and then it turns blue. It doesn't dye the fabric in the traditional sense that the die particles bind to the material, Indigo kinda wraps around the fibers so its a mechanical bond more than a chemical one. That being said the drier probably will fade it more than the washer.

medea
Aug 2, 2004, 10:01 AM
you need two items to make them look stressed and faded in a good way. first item is a cheese grater, grate little areas with it such as the belt loops or the pockets a little and the crotch. second item is sandpaper, sand the legs and such little by little until you get the look you want. warning this may sound easy but it is hard work. good luck.

krimson
Aug 2, 2004, 10:54 AM

fill a large container with HOT water and about a teaspoon of bleach. once mixed well, drop it in for about 30 at a time. repeat til you get the color you want.

jefhatfield
Aug 2, 2004, 11:05 AM
i want my jeans to be blue and not too faded...at my age i look ridiculous in faded or torn jeans, especially if it's the look seen most on teens and early twenty-somethings

i did buy these blue blue jeans at mervyn's once and they resisted ripping so five years later, or more, and they are still here...the ripping is starting in places and the fade, right down the legs showing a tan-brown raw denim is prominent...i achieved this look by using it exclusively for one of my jobs...gardening and landscaping which is dirty, hard, physical work and when i am doing my other job, computers, or off on a weekend, i don't want to be wearing a distressed dirty looking piece of clothing

the funny thing is that is the jean i most see on teenage girls and i wonder why they would want a dirty looking pair of jeans :)