PDA

View Full Version : panther upgrade troubles

smada
Aug 2, 2004, 03:49 AM
so ive been trying to install panther on a rev. a imac. ive already done it once before on my mothers imac, so i know all about the operating system having to be on the first 8 GB of the drive.

I created two partitions on the 80 GB drive i dropped in the imac, one is 6 gb and the other one is just around 70. when i install panther on to the 8 GB partition, the imac cant see it and just flashes the blinking mac folder at startup.

other (smaller) drives work, but not this 80 GB. what gives?

any help is appreciated

varmit
Aug 2, 2004, 09:11 AM
so ive been trying to install panther on a rev. a imac. ive already done it once before on my mothers imac, so i know all about the operating system having to be on the first 8 GB of the drive.

I created two partitions on the 80 GB drive i dropped in the imac, one is 6 gb and the other one is just around 70. when i install panther on to the 8 GB partition, the imac cant see it and just flashes the blinking mac folder at startup.

other (smaller) drives work, but not this 80 GB. what gives?

any help is appreciated

Why are you doing it this way. If any, I would put OS 9 on the 8GB spot and OS X on the 70. That way if OS X craps out, you can boot into OS 9 and get you stuff you need. It was helpful for me back with 10.1 when it could crash and be wrecked, but it doesn't happen that offen now, so why the partition.

Horrortaxi
Aug 2, 2004, 11:00 AM
Why are you doing it this way. If any, I would put OS 9 on the 8GB spot and OS X on the 70. That way if OS X craps out, you can boot into OS 9 and get you stuff you need. It was helpful for me back with 10.1 when it could crash and be wrecked, but it doesn't happen that offen now, so why the partition.
Because tray loading iMacs need to have OS X on an 8GB or smaller partition.

I'd suggest checking the jumpers on the drive. If they're set to master, move them to cable select. If they're on cable select, move them to master. When I did my mom's rev D iMac I think I set the drive on cable select.

I'm not clear on 1 thing--did you get the OS installed yet? If so, did you install it from the iMac or another system?

Just for fun, you should do "the usual voodoo". Flash your PRAM and reset your open firmware. Also, make sure that any firmware updates have been applied.

smada
Aug 3, 2004, 01:25 AM
yeah i installed both os 9 and panther to the drive by copying restoring the small partition with an image of fresh installs of both operating systems that i made. im able to boot from this partition using my slot loading imac and an external firewire enclosure, so i know its not a problem with the installs.

ill try messing with the jumpers, right now its set as master. ill also try pram and firmware.

any more tips? thanks you all.