PDA

View Full Version : Help i am switch from laptop to another

Solafaa
Aug 2, 2004, 07:31 AM
I have the chance to buy a 17" PB and use it insted of the iMac. I got the iMac to use it in my home office and i thought why not kill 2 birds with one stone. I already own an iBook for when i travel so i thought that i would get the 17" PB to save me space and use it as both personal stuff (gaming, smurfing and music) and as my office computer.

The thing is that i already have tones on music on my iBook and i want to change it so that i movies it all to my new PB, i have no idea how to. Also i have .mac and mail set up on my iBook what would i need to make teh switch.

Thanks in advance.

robbieduncan
Aug 2, 2004, 08:09 AM
If it's a brand new 17" it might come with the new setup assistant that guides you through doing all this over FireWire.

Solafaa
Aug 2, 2004, 08:21 AM
Yes its new.

varmit
Aug 2, 2004, 08:42 AM
.mac, you can register up to 3 computers to use the same iDisk, and you can also deregister any computer you want. So if you are getting rid of the iBook and iMac, deregister them when you register the PowerBook, then have all the information sent from .Mac to the PB, done with that.

.Mac mail, put your information in during the setup, it will automatically get all the mail that was in your inbox that you left in the inbox. This should be the way you do it, just setup mail for your .mac and your stuff will be there.

Otherwise, you can use Backup, which comes with .Mac, so save you inbox and preferences from one of your computers, and then use that Backup on the PB to get everything.

As for programs and games, you could do the firewire thing and move them all over. But I would just say install them right from the disk again, so that no problems could arise from a preference thing not being there.

neoelectronaut
Aug 2, 2004, 12:38 PM
There are two ways you can do this.

1) Get a Firewire cable, connect the iMac and PB (or iBook and PB) and start up the iMac (or iBook) in Firewire target mode (hold t while booting, I believe) When connected to your PB, your iMac's HD will show up as a mounted drive, more or less turning your iMac (or iBook) into a $1200+ Firewire External HD. From there, just drag and drop your files from the iMac (or iBook) into the appropriate folders on your PB.

2) Get a network cable, and connect your iMac and PB (or iBook and PB) into the same router/hub (or directly may work) then start up iChat rendezvous on both machines. You should be able to talk to each computer over the other, basically making a Buddy List of the computers on your network. From here, you can just take all of your tunes/movies, plop them in a .zip file, and then shoot the .zip file over to the PB from the iMac or iBook t hrough iChat.

There are other ways, but those are the first two I thought of.

puckhead193
Aug 2, 2004, 01:59 PM
There are two ways you can do this.

1) Get a Firewire cable, connect the iMac and PB (or iBook and PB) and start up the iMac (or iBook) in Firewire target mode (hold t while booting, I believe) When connected to your PB, your iMac's HD will show up as a mounted drive, more or less turning your iMac (or iBook) into a $1200+ Firewire External HD. From there, just drag and drop your files from the iMac (or iBook) into the appropriate folders on your PB.

Will option one work for me...?
I just ordered a new 15" pb. Could i use this technique to transfer files (mp3, pictures etc) from my old windows 98 to my new powerbook? (I installed a firewire card on my windoze comp.)
If this works, all I would need is a 6 pin to 6 pin firewire cable right...
Assumeing this will work, could i do this anytime or does it have to be the first time i start up the my powerbook? All i have to to is hold down "t"..sounds to good to be true!?

neoelectronaut
Aug 2, 2004, 02:21 PM
Sorry, option 1 will only work with mac to mac transfers.