PDA

View Full Version : ipod metal casing coming off of white plastic face

ddohnggo
Aug 2, 2004, 08:21 AM
so i just received my 3rd 30gb ipod from apple because of previous defective ones and once again the ipod they sent me is having a problem. it has the same the problem as the first ipod i sent in, which is that the metal bottm is coming off a little bit on the left side of the white face. there's probably a millimeter gap now, so i don't know if anyone's experienced this before. i don't know if i'm nit picking too much or if this is another legitimate problem that i should have apple address. i guess i'm afraid that any sort of liquid could get in there and damage it. have this happened to anyone? this is the 2nd time for me.

robbieduncan
Aug 2, 2004, 08:32 AM
The back is held on by plastic "snaps". If you just push it, it should snap back into place...

ddohnggo
Aug 2, 2004, 08:38 AM
i've been trying to push it in. but i'll continue to do it. thanks for the heads up.

MrSugar
Aug 2, 2004, 08:45 AM
i've been trying to push it in. but i'll continue to do it. thanks for the heads up.

My ipod is like this. However, it didn't come like this, over time and use the gap started to appear. I don't care a whole lot because I bang my ipod around a good deal, so things were bound to happen to it.

If you just got it and feel that you aren't satisfied I would give apple a call, otherwise use it and enjoy it.

ddohnggo
Aug 2, 2004, 09:00 AM
right, mine didn't come like this either. it's just that it's the 2nd time it's happened to me out of 3 different ipods. so i don't know if it's really worth the trouble.

Horrortaxi
Aug 2, 2004, 10:43 AM
When you get a rare and unusual problem multiple times it's a good idea to look at your own possible contribution to the problem. Could there be something in the way you handle your iPod that makes this happen?

3rd gen iPods are notoriously difficult to open. People who change their own batteries, for instance, generally scratch or otherwise damage the iPod in doing so.

However, you should just be able to press the back into position.

MrSugar
Aug 2, 2004, 10:52 AM
When you get a rare and unusual problem multiple times it's a good idea to look at your own possible contribution to the problem. Could there be something in the way you handle your iPod that makes this happen?

3rd gen iPods are notoriously difficult to open. People who change their own batteries, for instance, generally scratch or otherwise damage the iPod in doing so.

However, you should just be able to press the back into position.

I used to be able to press it back into position. Then one time I noticed the back was slightly dented (very very minimal) but enough to make that 1mm gap always there on the side. I guess I don't mind though, that's what happenes when you use a product a lot.