PDA

View Full Version : Secured my connection

ang8385
Aug 2, 2004, 08:38 AM
Hi, im using Dl-624+ with powerbook and imac. How can i secured my internet ?? i heard through WEP or WPA, can someone tells me how do i set up (the step) , thankx a lot.

One more thing is how to boost the speed to maximum as i feel my connection is quite slow (transferring files from imac to powerbook wirelessly).

All the settings relevant would be great :)

mklos
Aug 2, 2004, 04:07 PM
You can most certainly use WEP to make it so that people can't connect to your network. You'll have to check how to do it for your particular wireless access point.

Transferring files back and forth through a wireless connection will always be slow. BTW...AirPort Extreme is supposed to run at 54 Mbps when both computers are AirPort Extreme compatible and you have a compatible base station (aka access point), but in fact the actual max speeds are around 20 to 25 Mbps. I believe regular AirPort only runs actual speeds of about 5 Mbps. If you want to have more speed in transferring files back and forth, then just use a regular ethernet patch cable. Macs have a special ethernet port that crosses over the signal when needed so you don't necessarily need a crossover cable. If your computers are running Panther (OS X.3), then you can also use IP over FireWire(if the iMac is equipped with FireWire).

Just an FYI...in case you didn't know, you can use one of your Macs as a software AirPort Base Station. Thats what I do...saved me $249! It works great. Just go to the sharing system preference and then under Internet tab Select the source of your internet. I'm thinking probably Ethernet. Then under that check the boxes of what you want to share to, then click the start button. Your AirPort status icon in the menu bar should have an arrow pointing upward. That means you did it correctly, and that particular Mac is now a wireless access point. Just remember that if you turn that Mac off, or put it to sleep your wireless connection will die! You'll just need to re-click the start button in the sharing system pref. to make it work again.