PDA

View Full Version : New 23" display question

MrSugar
Aug 2, 2004, 09:03 AM
So I picked up a 23" from my Apple store this weekend, I LOVE IT... but I do have a couple questions.

On the display at the apple store when I used the buttons on the side to control brightness the little brightness meter came up on the screen (similar to how it does with a Powerbook). However, it doesn't do this for me on my G5. Also on the setup at the Apple store you could change what you wanted the power button on the display to do, either put your computer to sleep, turn off the display, etc. Now all that button does is turn off the display.

Any new 23" or 20" owners have some advice?

varmit
Aug 2, 2004, 09:14 AM
only advice I could give would be to check your displays.
System Preferences, Displays, Make sure that it has the correct display, and if not, detect displays.

Laslo Panaflex
Aug 2, 2004, 09:15 AM
So I picked up a 23" from my Apple store this weekend, I LOVE IT... but I do have a couple questions.

On the display at the apple store when I used the buttons on the side to control brightness the little brightness meter came up on the screen (similar to how it does with a Powerbook). However, it doesn't do this for me on my G5. Also on the setup at the Apple store you could change what you wanted the power button on the display to do, either put your computer to sleep, turn off the display, etc. Now all that button does is turn off the display.

Any new 23" or 20" owners have some advice?

Well, I have a new 23" and on my G5 I get no brightness meter either. As for being able to tell the power button to put the computer to sleep, I don't think you can do that, I think that it is a limitation of the DVI connector, but you could do it with the ADC displays.

I could be wrong about the power button maping though, it wouldn't be the first time.

jsw
Aug 2, 2004, 09:25 AM
Minor thing to check:

Open System Preferences (if it's already open, close it and reopen it).

Holding 'Control' (Apple button) and 'Shift', click on Displays. You should see an 'Options' tab in addition to 'Display' and 'Color'. Go there, and make sure 'Enable Touch Switch' is there. For the new displays, there might even be other options....

MrSugar
Aug 2, 2004, 09:47 AM
Minor thing to check:

Holding 'Control' (Apple button) and 'Shift', click on Displays. You should see an 'Options' tab in addition to 'Display' and 'Color'. Go there, and make sure 'Enable Touch Switch' is there. For the new displays, there might even be other options....

I am not at home right now, but that sounds like the exact way to do it! I remember there being another option on the ones at the apple store... that was definitely it. I will do that as soon as I get home, thanks for the info!

broken_keyboard
Aug 2, 2004, 10:04 AM
On the Apple forums they are saying that 10.3.5 will contain some new options for the new monitors. 10.3.5 shouldn't be far away, it's been in beta test forever.

I spoke to Apple on the phone today and my 23" is shipping tomorrow, so I will soon join the club. Now the question is - do I pull a sicky from work? ;)

MrSugar
Aug 2, 2004, 10:24 AM
On the Apple forums they are saying that 10.3.5 will contain some new options for the new monitors. 10.3.5 shouldn't be far away, it's been in beta test forever.

I spoke to Apple on the phone today and my 23" is shipping tomorrow, so I will soon join the club. Now the question is - do I pull a sicky from work? ;)

Haha, I love how some people call in sick to sleep, some to recover from hangovers, others to spend time with their loved ones.

Us... no, we call in sick to await our Apple shipments, what a twisted life we lead.

MrSugar
Aug 2, 2004, 09:39 PM
Minor thing to check:

this didn't work... =-(

QCassidy352
Aug 3, 2004, 01:24 AM
I have the new 20", and so far as I can tell, there is no way to either see a brightness meter, or to use the power button to effect the computer (rather than just the display). It's too bad, too, because I'm using it with a closed powerbook, and don't have the PB's power button exposed...