PDA

View Full Version : How do you partition ibook G4?

logan41891
Nov 23, 2009, 10:25 AM
i have a ibook g4 that my friend whipped everything off and made three partitions. the first two i have no idea what they are and the third one is linux. When i boot up the mac it goes into ubuntu asking if i want to boot to linux or CDROM. If i just leave it, it loads to another screen looking like a command prompt called yaboot.

Is there a way i can just delete everything again because putting linux on here didnt even work, it doesnt even boot into it. It just says, "radeonfb 0000:00:10.0: Invalid ROM contents"

So can partition it again so i can put mac os x tiger on it again? :confused:

logan

rowsdower
Nov 23, 2009, 10:27 AM
You should be able to put in the Tiger installation DVD and hold C at startup to boot from the disk. You can repartition the drive as part of the installation.

spinnerlys
Nov 23, 2009, 10:29 AM
Insert Mac OS X Tiger DVD, start Mac, press and hold C key to boot from DVD, or hold Alt/Option key to get to the boot selection screen.

Select language you wanna use.

Go to Menu Bar, select Utilities > Disk Utility.

Select HDD and erase the partitions.

logan41891
Nov 23, 2009, 10:35 AM
Insert Mac OS X Tiger DVD, start Mac, press and hold C key to boot from DVD, or hold Alt/Option key to get to the boot selection screen.

ive tried putting in the tiger dvd and holding C in booting but nothing happens. It just loads to Ubuntu Screen Boot: l for linux or c for CDROM

when i hit c it just goes black and goes back to the same ubuntu screen. :(

logan41891
Nov 23, 2009, 10:38 AM

don't you need a set partition already for it to reconize the tiger disc? i think he has three partitions already for the ubuntu, yaboot, and linux. what i am wondering if its not reading the disc because there is no set partition for it to read and put the tiger into?

rowsdower
Nov 23, 2009, 02:06 PM
don't you need a set partition already for it to reconize the tiger disc? i think he has three partitions already for the ubuntu, yaboot, and linux. what i am wondering if its not reading the disc because there is no set partition for it to read and put the tiger into?

You don't need to have it correctly partitioned before installation. I don't know why it won't boot from the disc.