Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Skilz34

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 8, 2003
Hi all.

Once last week and once yesterday, my Ti 15" Powerbook would not start up after being in sleep mode. What I usually do is press the power button and I can hear the machine turning on but the "tune" is not played. Then I hold the power button for about 3-5 second and I hear the machine turn off. But nothing is displayed on the screen and the processor is not crunching. Eventually after much manipulation, the system turns back on normally. I want to add that the battery is full charged and I've tried different power supplies.

I got it working obviously last week, but this same situation happened yesterday afternoon. So I made my first call to Applecare, which the fellow was very helpful, and he is sending out an empty box. The only thing he had me do over the phone is lift the keyboard and press the reset button, and then do a button combination of option + apple + power? and something else. I'm sure you guys know what I'm talking about. Well to no avail, the machine didn't turn on.

But like the first time, I played around with the machine's power button here and there, and finally it turned on and I am typing on it as we speak.

So my question is, do any of you have any iota on what's going on and should I still send it in to Applecare? I don't want to send it in and have them send it back to me saying nothing is wrong.

My feeling is that it may be the screen or motherboard? But I'm not sure

Any help is appreciated - thanks!

SolidGun

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2004
Twin Cities
Couple years ago, with my Sony notebook this happened. Everything turns on, except the screen isn't showing anything.....
I had BestBuy service plan and I took it in because I didn't really use the Sony all that much and I figured why not get some use out of the service plan.
Turns out, the cable connected to the screen was disconnected at certain points and when opened at a certain angle it would connect.
I would have it sent in just to see if the problem is more serious.

Skilz34

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 8, 2003
yeah it did it again last night when i shut it down and it didn't start up. then after many tries, it just booted on up. i'm starting to think it's the display but then at times when i'm trying to boot it up, the music that plays will become staggered? so maybe it's the board as well. we'll see, i'm still waiting on the box

live4ever

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2003
My newer 1.25ghz revA Albook had a similar problem, if reseting the PRAM-NVRAM-PMU and an OS reintall won't fix it the logic board will need replacing, like mine did.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Skilz34 said:
....should I still send it in to Applecare? I don't want to send it in and have them send it back to me saying nothing is wrong.
It's defective. If they say it's not broken, and you get it back and it still doesn't work, call again. They're obligated to fix it.

Couple of notes before doing so:

(1) Backup everything of value to you. Assume you'll get a different notebook back. You won't, but backup based on that assumption.

(2) Deauthorize your computer in iTunes. You can reauthorize it when it returns. Again just in case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.