PDA

View Full Version : Internal Hard Disk Hitachi 160Go 7200rpm

moridere
Aug 2, 2004, 10:08 AM
Hi guys ,i hope someone will find what goes wrong....

I've installed an internal HardDisk Hitachi in a BiproG4 867MHZ on the same bus as the master harddisk.I put the hitachi in slave mode id=1 and ,the disk mount once a week.....
What the hell is that....i thought maybe its the battery of the mac....i dont know....please let me know

eric_n_dfw
Aug 2, 2004, 10:25 AM
BiproG4 867MHZ
the disk mount once a weekWhat's a "BiproG4", and I'm not sure what you meant by 2nd line there.

Horrortaxi
Aug 2, 2004, 10:49 AM
Are you saying the disk doesn't mount every time you start the computer, rather it just mounts once a week?

What you probably want to do is set the jumpers to 'cable select'. Check your manual or download one from Apple.com, but I'm pretty sure that cable select is the right setting on that model.

Consider getting a PCI IDE controller. There are limitations on your computer that will keep you from using all 160GB. Your computer will only see the first 128GB or something like that.

eric_n_dfw
Aug 2, 2004, 11:27 AM
Are you saying the disk doesn't mount every time you start the computer, rather it just mounts once a week?

What you probably want to do is set the jumpers to 'cable select'. Check your manual or download one from Apple.com, but I'm pretty sure that cable select is the right setting on that model.

Consider getting a PCI IDE controller. There are limitations on your computer that will keep you from using all 160GB. Your computer will only see the first 128GB or something like that.I agree with this - I run a 250GB Hitachi 7200rpm drive in my Dual 500 G4 and use a Sonnet Tempo ATA133 card for it.

Be sure to get an ATA133 card as most (if not all) ATA33, 66 and 100 cards also do not support the larger drives.

BTW - Sometimes higher RPM drives take a second or two longer to spin up and become "mountable" than slower drives. If you are using a different system drive the OS may be booting faster than the other drive has a chanse to become available. (I've seen this happen on some older IBM DeskStar 75GB drives I used to use) The only solution I found was to reboot (don't shut down) after a cold boot up, that way the drive is already spinning when the OS begins loading and can mount it immediately.

Mord
Aug 2, 2004, 11:43 AM
he has a quicksilver and that can see more than 128GB check xlr8yourmac, big drive support was added in 10.3 i have no idea how it works but still.

eric_n_dfw
Aug 2, 2004, 01:21 PM
he has a quicksilver and that can see more than 128GB check xlr8yourmac, big drive support was added in 10.3 i have no idea how it works but still.Cool about the quicksilver then. (I forgot about that)

moridere
Aug 3, 2004, 09:29 AM
thnx guys for the consideration...i've done what u told me:cable select on both disks....and it still isnt reconized at startup..

So if i follow u,i should get as well an pci ide controller card to support my hitachi hd??

What 's the price of that..??

moridere

moridere
Aug 3, 2004, 09:47 AM
yeah the man is right: i got the quicksilver and it should support my new disk....some other dude told me that maybe putting one drive master and the othe slave would work better .... what do u think???

Mord
Aug 3, 2004, 12:05 PM
can you try the disk in annother mac or a firewire enclosior because the HD may be faulty.

ata cards cost around $100 i'd try it on the optical drive bus or the zip bay bus before shelling out.