Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SPV

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2009
Hi all,

I am looking to by a new PC (I have always been a PC user) and I am considering either an i7 PC with Windows 7 or an iMac/Mac mini. I will be predominantly using it for video editing and I am not much of a gamer...

While I feel the i7s are very fast when combined with more memory, especially for video editing, I have been told that Macs are best for multimedia... But looking at the Macs with their Core 2 Duos, I am not sure how they will hold up speed-wise with the i7 PC counterparts... I guess I could consider the new quad core iMacs (with i5s/i7s), but that will be significantly more expensive

Any thoughts?

SPV

gjw4u

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2008
Switzerland
If you want to experience OS X, then go for an iMac i5 or i7 (note you can also run Windows on a Mac). If you want Windows 7 only, go for a i7 PC.

trose

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2002
No doubt about it, you'll get more raw speed for a lower price on an i7 PC.
If you're going the Mac route, you have to be in it for the love of the software, not the hardware.

How serious are you about editing video? I know iMovie is great for beginners, but I've heard some complaining that it's too weak once you've got some experience. In that case, you might want to look at Final Cut Express.
Of course, you probably know a lot more about video editing software than I do, as I have done next to zero work in that area.

FieryFurnace

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2008
Berlin, Germany
If you do anything that involves rendering, go for a i5 or i7 - don't buy Core2 anymore.
I just build a PC with an i5 750 2.66GHz and this machine is way faster then a Core2Duo 2.8GHz.
I did a test render of a scene in Maya, the i5 needs 2:45min and the Core2 needs 7:00min. :)

belltree

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2008
Tokyo, Japan
....and this is why I am holding off on buying myself a Mac Mini this year. I purchased one for my wife earlier this year (Mac Mini: 2.26Ghz + 4GB ram) as a 'testing the waters' for getting into the Mac world. We both love it and I want to jump aboard but I want to get a Core i5 or i7 for video encoding.

Sure, I could get an iMac now but I don't want my system and my monitor to be tied together...this is why the Mac Mini appeals to me so much. I am now anxiously holding out for next year's Mini refresh which I am hopeful will have either a Core i5 or i7 (fingers crossed) and not just a CPU+GPU speed bump. It is getting very hard though as my PC is an POS....another 6 months at the most I hope.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.