Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

something123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2009
Hey MacRumors, 1st time poster, long-time lurker.

I've found answers to my questions on here before and if someone on here can't help me, I'm getting rid of my MacBook. I'm dead serious, I have been working on this damn thing for 3 days and I've tried everything under the sun to do this and gotten nowhere.

Okay... So heres my dilema. I've got a mid-2007 MacBook with a 120 GB harddrive (stock) and 4gb of ram (upgraded by me)

I bought a Toshiba 2.5" 500GB HDD, and I want to install that.

Simple enough, I can handle the hardware end of things and get that installed.

Now the real issue is, I want to take my OSX partition and my bootcamp partition and move them over to my new harddrive, then resize the partitions to be usable.

I've tried using WinClone, Images, gParted & Clonezilla, nothing seems to work.

So if anyone on here has any idea, let me know, otherwise I'll be selling my MacBook to buy a laptop where I can actually upgrade hardware AND migrate my data.

xlii

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2006
Millis, Massachusetts
I did this back in June. I backed up osx using time machine using my backup drive. I backed up the windows xp partition using the backup software that came with xp.

Now I install my new 500gb drive. I use disk utility to initialize it and I use time machine to restore my data.

Now I use bootcamp to partition my drive and reinstall xp using my xp boot disk. I boot into xp and restore my xp programs using the backup software that comes with xp to do the restore.

something123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2009
I would LOVE it if things were that simple.

That won't be an option, seeing as i can't find my Leopard and XP install discs. I think they're in a box somewhere in storage.

xlii

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2006
Millis, Massachusetts
That is a problem... You should be able to use Carbon Copy Cloner to get you up and running on the OSX side but then I think you'll need that Windows boot disk to use with bootcamp. AFAIK there is no 1 backkup solution that clones, or backs up the entire disk in one step.

J&JPolangin

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2008
Close to a boarder, in Eu
I would LOVE it if things were that simple.

That won't be an option, seeing as i can't find my Leopard and XP install discs. I think they're in a box somewhere in storage.

...search your storage and you won't have to spend more $$ on a new computer...

I used CCC (carbon copy cloner) and winClone with 0 issues moving my data from my stock 120 GB to my WD Scorpio Blue 320 when I made the switch...

crazyxzer0

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2008
I used super duper to clone my osx partition, though, i am not aware what can clone your windows partition and apply it to the new hd.. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.