Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

silentsage

macrumors member
Original poster
May 13, 2008
Just thought I'd pass this along to anyone tryiong to get Windows 7 to work on the new 27" iMacs.

I have an i5 iMac. To get Windows 7 running, I just used Bootcamp (3.0) that came with the iMac. The only glitch was that, at a certain point in the loading process. the iMac hangs at a blank screen.

The way to get around this is to attach a second display to the iMac before you start to load Windows. For some unknown reason, Windows 7 doesn't properly handle the ATI 4850 graphics card and the 27" screen, and you get a blank screen. If you have a second display attached to the iMac, you'll see the proper display there.

Surprisingly, the iMac OS X distribution disk will load all the Bootcamp drivers you need without incident. Just reboot the computer, and when you get to the desktop in Windows, insert the iMac OS X disk. Bootcamp will load all the drivers you need without incident.

I loaded the latest ATI mobillity drivers from the AMD/ATI website, and they work fine.

FYI, I'm running the 64-bit version of Windows 7.

Also, you'll need to disconnect the second display before the iMac will properly display at 2560x 1440 resolution.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.