PDA

View Full Version : iBook charging issue

Marcquito
Nov 24, 2009, 10:17 AM
I searched, but couldn't find an exact reason for my problem.

I recently purchased a late 2004 iBook G4 1,33ghz. The computer arrived with a charged battery and working properly. Once it was time to plug in the charger, the amber light comes on but there is no indication on the taskbar that the battery is being charged. After being plugged into the outlet all night, the battery has not charged at all. I also removed the battery to see if the iBook would work without it- but it does not. What does this mean?

I also tried resetting the power management, but that didn't seem to help.

Any thoughts/ideas/advice?

TIA!

-Marc

DanielCalladine
Nov 24, 2009, 07:35 PM
Hi Marc,

I have this same problem at the moment so am interested to see if you find any solution.

In my case I tried a spare working battery, power supply and DC In board, none of which made any difference. I also tried resetting the PMU & PRAM but nothing changed unfortunately.

I think the only thing this leaves is the logic board. I've come across several DIY logic board repairs online but none of these were for this problem.

Hopefully someone will have an answer as my laptop works great apart from this.

Cheers, Daniel

Marcquito
Nov 24, 2009, 09:18 PM
Daniel,

Thank you for the reply! I was worried nobody here had any information!

I purchased from an online store which offers a 30 day warranty with all machines. I am lucky for this, especially since you explained you have the same symptoms and believe it's the logic board! Not very good news!

I wish you luck with your repair!

Cheers,

-Marc

Marcquito
Nov 25, 2009, 04:19 PM
Well, since nobody here knows the answer to my problem, I'll go ahead and reveal my solution.

I stopped by a mac repair shop earlier today and used another iBook to test mine. It turns out my charger decided to crap out. A new charger and the iBook will be good as new! The charger just does not produce enough wattage any longer to charge the battery or keep the machine running.

:cool: