Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

113910-itunes_live_music.png

113910-itunes_live_music_categories.png

Concert promoter Live Nation today announced that it has partnered with Apple to launch a new initiative focused on audio and video recording of live concert events for distribution via Apple's iTunes Store. Apple has also launched a dedicated section of the iTunes Store to feature the content.
Live Nation, the world's largest live music company, has joined with the iTunes Store (www.itunes.com), the world's #1 music retailer, to launch a new live music program, which debuted today. Live Nation Studios will now offer exclusive recorded and filmed concerts from its network of "wired" venues for purchase and download only on iTunes. Exclusive live recordings from OK Go, Jesse McCartney, Saving Abel, A Fine Frenzy, Duffy, Plain White T's and Ziggy Marley, to name a few, have been released this week, with many more to follow.
Live Nation notes that it has "wired" more than 80 venues in its network of concert sites, providing the infrastructure to allow performers to easily extend the live concert experience to recorded audio and video content.

Article Link: Apple and Live Nation Launch New Concert Downloads Via iTunes

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
did Metallica do this this first with livemetallica.com or did they copy someone? I remember they were usually the last ones to take advantage of new technology

slu

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2004
Buffalo
Awesome. This is the type of innovation that is needed to keep the music business going.

I just wish some smaller venues are included. The big Live Nation venues are not going to have many acts that I am interested in buying, but it is a start.

If it makes money, you'll see all sorts of venues doing this and/or all sorts of bands doing this themselves. Exactly what Pearl Jam and Phish have been doing for years, but at a greater scale.

I hope it succeeds.

nkawtg72

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2007
oh good god. two negatives already?! get over yourselves people. within 10mins of any post there are always 4 negs. i'm willing to bet it's the same 4 schmucks every time.

crobi222

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2008
WOW that's amazing, with the Apple TV it will be very usefull.

But my question is:

Is it only US? and Canada?

Also the most important point for me, the concert are in HD or not?

crobi222

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2008
Sorry nkawtg72

but it's only US, of course it will be a negative comment. Also no HD as I see.

In the end of 2009 how can you sell Video without HD, The apple TV can be plug only on a flat screen.

I don't understand.

But having video concert on iTunes it's awsome. But need to be HD

dont24

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2005
Northeast
Sorry nkawtg72

but it's only US, of course it will be a negative comment. Also no HD as I see.

In the end of 2009 how can you sell Video without HD, The apple TV can be plug only on a flat screen.

I don't understand.

But having video concert on iTunes it's awsome. But need to be HD

I have to agree. No HD means I'll pass. Won't pay for a crappy SD concert.

JonHimself

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2004
Toronto, Ontario
did Metallica do this this first with livemetallica.com or did they copy someone? I remember they were usually the last ones to take advantage of new technology

I know Metallica offers audio from all their shows - don't think video though. I'm not sure who was first, but I know Pearl Jam sold physical CDs of their shows too - and I think do it all online now.

utwarreng

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2009
I hope you can get them in audio-only, and also have them broken up by individual songs. This would be great for my iPod as I love listening to live music, but may not care for each individual song.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
Awesome!

But, is there really a difference between Pop, Alternative Rock, & Rock? I mean really. There's a difference between Classical, Blues, Jazz, Gospel, & Folk. But Rock, Pop, Alternative (to what?) just regurgitate bits of each.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
I hope this hits the UK store.

Primarily for me, I'd give LiveNation the big F U as well, except I would love to hear some of the other acts from Donnin^H^H^H^H^H^HDownload Festival. If it hits the UK store, at the least that means that they'd have something from UK shows.

BL.

CrzyCanuck72

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2003
This is a great idea, but it means nothing unless they get some bigger names up there. I never buy off iTunes, but I'd pay to download last night's Coldplay or DMB concert.

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
Sweet, "live" music without the hassles. I'm in. (Though of course you can never really replicate that live sound or experience.)

But should choreographed, lip-synced concerts that are more bad dance revues than musical events really be called "live music?" Hopefully they will be somewhat selective with their live content - so we won't see any Britney in this section of the store anytime soon... :(

shen

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2003
Live Nation sucks, and they and maybe 2 other players are the reason tickets are so damn much and I can't afford to see bands I like and even if I could they don't play near me. However...

...this is pretty damn smart, and if they keep the price reasonable and and start adding shows regularly they are going to (finally) be getting my money. Very smart move.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.