PDA

View Full Version : Can an iPhone 3GS run IM apps even while sleeping?

C'est Moi
Nov 24, 2009, 11:39 AM
Hi!
I'm relatively new to the iPhone market, and, even though it is a powerful phone, I'm only looking to 1) Make calls, 2) Check my email, and 3) Stay online (hopefully) all the time on MSN and AOL applications.

I spoke to a gentleman at an AT&T store, and he said that the phone will indeed run "some" apps while asleep. :confused:

What I'm wondering is, which application to people find to be the best and most effective for chit chatting on MSN & AOL, and can they stay online even while sleeping?

- Thanks so much!

Cask
Nov 24, 2009, 11:49 AM
Try Beejive, it is expensive, but works the best, and push notifications work really good with this one.

Hunts121
Nov 24, 2009, 11:51 AM
Hi!
I'm relatively new to the iPhone market, and, even though it is a powerful phone, I'm only looking to 1) Make calls, 2) Check my email, and 3) Stay online (hopefully) all the time on MSN and AOL applications.

I spoke to a gentleman at an AT&T store, and he said that the phone will indeed run "some" apps while asleep. :confused:

What I'm wondering is, which application to people find to be the best and most effective for chit chatting on MSN & AOL, and can they stay online even while sleeping?

- Thanks so much!

Beejive IM is probably the best, but it does cost money. It allows you to be online for 7 days whether the phone is awake or not. This resets (the 7 day timer) whenever you open it to IM so in effect you can be online at all times. It also features push notifications.

EDIT: looks like someone beat me to it

C'est Moi
Nov 24, 2009, 11:57 AM
Hey thanks guys!

...so with Beejive IM, let's say I sign online, and then put the phone to sleep... if someone is on a computer looking at my name, will it still display as I'm available (away, busy, doesn't really matter what my status is, just that I'm available) and able to receive messages?

...also, is there an option to set some sort of vibration alert at a new message while the phone is asleep?