Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ja0912

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 10, 2002
I had noticed the iBook logic board program was extended, so I thought I'd see if some of my quirks could be associated (occasional diagonal red lines on screen, screen going black when opened past 90 degrees, etc). I called, and they said they would take it in. It was only gone for 4 or 5 days.

This is a 500 MHz iBook from 2001. My warrantee expired 2 years ago, and was voided anyway as I have taken it apart a few times. I opened it today to find they fixed TONS of stuff at no charge.

- They replaced the whole panel that surrounds the keyboard (as it was cracked on the corners)
- They replaced the ethernet port/card that has been broken for 3 years (and when i called them about it in 2001, they said plastic wasn't covered !?)
- They fixed my power adapter outlet (as it NEVER glowed orange while charging, just green)
- The screen stays lit at ALL angles and is much brighter
- The screen was VERY loose, floppy, and mangled from the several times I've dropped it.. all fixed
- The computer now knows when I've closed the lid, and puts the computer asleep (hasn't done that for years, most likely as a result of one of the times I've taken it apart)
- BOTH speakers now work (opposed to only the right one, and that was just sometimes)
- And I'd assume I have a new logic board

Yes my computer was barely useable, and YES I'm VERY happy with Apple right now. All free and delivered to my doorstep.

The only downside: Apple said my 3rd party RAM failed testing. That 3rd party won't replace it without the receipt that shipped in the box 2 years ago... which I don't have. =/

Oh well, I'm still very happy.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
It's always heartwarming to hear of such stories as yours, ja0912. Your story also points out how important it is to save your receipts. I'm kind of surprised that they would have a record of your purchase. The most important thing is that you are happy. ;)

FuzzyBallz

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2003
Home of Al-Qaida
2 years out of warranty and they fixed everything for free? If that's true, why bother w/ buying Apple Care? I don't believe you at all. Where's the proof?

ja0912

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 10, 2002
What type of proof would you like? I don't think this was standard procedure. The program was to replace the logic board, which was a known flaw. I'm wondering if Apple just wanted to avoid the embarrasment of the flaw considering on the sheet stating the parts replaced they make no mention of the Logic Board anywhere. Not to mention they went out of their way to make it seem like this faulty RAM chip was causing my problems. (as far as i'm aware, i thought bad RAM could only cause crashes and freezing).

I can take a picture of the list of parts replaced, but the list isn't clear as to what these parts actually are. I could also take pictures of the bright white ethernet port on my dirty old iBook.

Anyway, I was just trying to do my part as a consumer. When service is really good or really bad.. you spread the word.

Horrortaxi

macrumors 68020
Jul 6, 2003
Los Angeles
A lot of that stuff they fixed is on the logic board, so they could kill many birds with 1 stone in that case.

Still, some of it isn't--like the case. I don't know if you had a lucky day, a cool tech, or what but I'm glad you got it taken care of.

conej79

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2004
He Tells No Lie

I had the unfortunate pleasure of attempting to use the iBook before it went in for a logic board replacement, and saying it was barely useable is an understatement. I too was amazed to find all the things Apple replaced on his laptop. I definitely want to get my own now. I tip my hat to Apple for their unexpected and exceptional service.

mpopkin

macrumors 6502
Nov 14, 2003
Chapel Hill, NC
Hey
i would be greatful that they fixed all that user caused stuff, 3rd party ram can cause a lot of problems(rarely though) but if you buy cheap stuff(non crucial etc) then it really can cause problems, buy from the right places and their will be no problem with 3rd party ram. anyways they gave you way more than you asked for and that definetely negates the 3rd party ram, it sounds like they gave u a new machine without a processor upgrade :D and that is pretty cool
enjoy

ja0912 said:
What type of proof would you like? I don't think this was standard procedure. The program was to replace the logic board, which was a known flaw. I'm wondering if Apple just wanted to avoid the embarrasment of the flaw considering on the sheet stating the parts replaced they make no mention of the Logic Board anywhere. Not to mention they went out of their way to make it seem like this faulty RAM chip was causing my problems. (as far as i'm aware, i thought bad RAM could only cause crashes and freezing).

I can take a picture of the list of parts replaced, but the list isn't clear as to what these parts actually are. I could also take pictures of the bright white ethernet port on my dirty old iBook.

Anyway, I was just trying to do my part as a consumer. When service is really good or really bad.. you spread the word.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.