PDA

View Full Version : New Scam Going Around??

blvdeast
Aug 2, 2004, 06:07 PM
Got this email today. I did bid on this iBook and now it seems that me and the other bidders got this email asking us to buy it for a very cheap price through a wire transfer (big no no). Just wanted to know if anyone had a similiar situation. I actually just bidded on it to sign up for a special offer so I really have no intent on buying it.

Dear sir,
> Escuse me, I have a good deal for you. I have this product, that you
bid on ebay.
> If you accept my offer, I can sell it more cheap, because I don`t
want to lose time for wait a auction .If you like it or if you are ready
to negociate it.I have see that you have bid on *Black Apple iBook G4 1.2ghz Airport 60gig HD + case *
> I sell the product to this price US $ 850.
> I am a very serious ebayer and have dealt with e-bay for manyyears
with a perfect score. I respect eBay rules .
> If you have concerns or questions, please feel free to contact me. I
thank you in advance for your time.
> The payment will be by wire transfer.
> ****King regards and thank you for your time!****

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4602&item=5112594555

Horrortaxi
Aug 2, 2004, 06:12 PM
That's not a new scam. That's the same old scam.

musicpyrite
Aug 2, 2004, 06:16 PM
You'd think they would know enough to use English properly after all this time. :rolleyes:

Kingsnapped
Aug 2, 2004, 06:19 PM
That's still a cool iBook...

MisterMe
Aug 2, 2004, 06:28 PM
Got this email today. I did bid on this iBook and now it seems that me and the other bidders got this email asking us to buy it for a very cheap price through a wire transfer (big no no). Just wanted to know if anyone had a similiar situation. I actually just bidded on it to sign up for a special offer so I really have no intent on buying it.

Dear sir,
bid on ebay.
to negociate it.I have see that you have bid on *Black Apple iBook G4 1.2ghz Airport 60gig HD + case *

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4602&item=5112594555I'm with Horrortaxi on this one. Why would a legitimate eBayer spam you? The email makes no sense. The eBay posting also looks very, very fishy.

The iBook G4 is white. I have never heard tell of a black iBook.

Apple has not used the rainbow logo in years. The image on the screen seems to be of an emulator running MacOS 8 or so.

The iBook G4 is a new computer, whose oldest OS is MacOS X 10.2.8. Yet, there is no Dock on the screen.

Bottomline: This is an obvious scam.

puckhead193
Aug 2, 2004, 06:33 PM
You'd think they would know enough to use English properly after all this time. :rolleyes:
I agree :p

musicpyrite
Aug 2, 2004, 06:53 PM
I'm not going to say weather I believe this is a scam or not, but I do have somethings to point out:

Do you remember the dog with the black iMac (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.planetkyoto.com/nils/archives/images/symblk01.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.planetkyoto.com/nils/archives/2003_10.html&h=240&w=320&sz=13&tbnid=zzZ7EA3zYq0J:&tbnh=84&tbnw=112&start=2&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dblack%2Bimac%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26sa%3DN) (scroll down 3/4ths of the page)? If you look at the other pictures, there are pics of a blue iBook. It's not that hard to paint a computer with Krylon. (so long as you know what ur doing)

Apple has not used the rainbow logo in years. The image on the screen seems to be of an emulator running MacOS 8 or so.

The rainbow apple is just a desktop pic, maby the iBook's (supposed) owner likes the look of a rainbow apple better than the sliver/steel one.

The iBook G4 is a new computer, whose oldest OS is MacOS X 10.2.8. Yet, there is no Dock on the screen.
If you look closely at the pic, or zoom in on it, you can clearly see an image of a dock on the left side of the screen, with about 20+ icons on it.

MisterMe
Aug 2, 2004, 09:46 PM
I'm not going to say weather I believe this is a scam or not, but I do have somethings to point out:

Do you remember the dog with the black iMac (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.planetkyoto.com/nils/archives/images/symblk01.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.planetkyoto.com/nils/archives/2003_10.html&h=240&w=320&sz=13&tbnid=zzZ7EA3zYq0J:&tbnh=84&tbnw=112&start=2&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dblack%2Bimac%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26sa%3DN) (scroll down 3/4ths of the page)? If you look at the other pictures, there are pics of a blue iBook. It's not that hard to paint a computer with Krylon. (so long as you know what ur doing)That's all good and fine. However, the seller doesn't make that claim. He simply calls it a black iBook. It's up to him to convince me that he's on the up and up, not me.

The rainbow apple is just a desktop pic, maby the iBook's (supposed) owner likes the look of a rainbow apple better than the sliver/steel one.Of course, its a desktop pict. That's not the issue. The issue is the age of the desktop pict and which OS is it being displayed on.

If you look closely at the pic, or zoom in on it, you can clearly see an image of a dock on the left side of the screen, with about 20+ icons on it.You can see something. You can also surmise that it might be a Dock. However, there simply is not enough detail in the image to determine what it is. Again, with bids in excess of $1,000, I am not giving anyone the benefit of the doubt.

jimsowden
Aug 2, 2004, 10:21 PM

Dear sir,
bid on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4602&item=5112594555
I got these all the time when I was bidding on a GL2. They are all scams. Ask him for some ID or a phone number, or why he isn't in the us, or why he needs to sell. The answers are like watching COPS. "Officer, that crack belongs to a friend of mine" *wipes power from nose*

jimsowden
Aug 2, 2004, 10:27 PM
I'm with Horrortaxi on this one. Why would a legitimate eBayer spam you? The email makes no sense. The eBay posting also looks very, very fishy.

Bottomline: This is an obvious scam.
That is one of those clip on cases that are black.
He is right, that is just a background, and iBook G4s only shipped with panther. Way to know your stuff!

blvdeast
Aug 2, 2004, 10:41 PM
Well I have emailed the other bidders who might have recieved the same email offer a link to this thread so they can have an idea of what's going on. Also, I never contacted the seller, but i got this email from him just now.

Sorry for the disturbing you...
I saw that you were bidding on this product: Black Apple iBook G4 1.2ghz Airport 60gig HD + case! and I thought that I
can make you a better offer. I can sell you the same item, brand new,
with the same accesories for US$ 600.00
If you are interested we can work it out with a price, cause i want
to sell it, and i`m ready to NEGOCIATE it.
If you are interested in my product e-Mail me at: *********@yahoo.co.uk
If u want to spare some money this is your lucky day.
Please reply me as soon as posible if you are interested in my offer.

spasticmutant
Aug 2, 2004, 11:40 PM
Well I have emailed the other bidders who might have recieved the same email offer a link to this thread so they can have an idea of what's going on. Also, I never contacted the seller, but i got this email from him just now.

Sorry for the disturbing you...
I saw that you were bidding on this product: Black Apple iBook G4 1.2ghz Airport 60gig HD + case! and I thought that I
can make you a better offer. I can sell you the same item, brand new,
with the same accesories for US$ 600.00
If you are interested we can work it out with a price, cause i want
to sell it, and i`m ready to NEGOCIATE it.
If you are interested in my product e-Mail me at: *********@yahoo.co.uk
If u want to spare some money this is your lucky day.
Please reply me as soon as posible if you are interested in my offer.

The best e-bay scam thread yet:

P-P-P-Powerbook!
http://www.mannequin3d.com/powerbook/

Maybe you could put your scam seller together with the scam buyer for the p-p-p-powerbook and they can scam each other into oblivion. :rolleyes:

Perhaps you could bait him long enough to see if he suggests an escrow service other than ebay's, then publicize the thread so people can see the precise anatomy of these scams - just for fun, of course! If you choose to do this, by all means keep us posted.

Anne Marie

jbrown
Aug 4, 2004, 07:30 AM
...theiving bastids.

But -- zoom in and look to blue apple on menu bar = OS X

michaelrjohnson
Aug 4, 2004, 07:59 AM
Spec. quibbles aside, it's almost 100% probability that it's a scam. Plain and simple. Why on earth would they sell it to you for less? They could get more just by listing... It makes no sense. That's because they'll take as much money as they can get from you.

maxterpiece
Aug 4, 2004, 08:29 AM
It's a scam - they get you to pay by wire transfer overseas using a ************ escrow service. If you ask him to use ebay's recommended escrow service (I believe it is escrow.com), he will probably not even bother replying to you.

michaelrjohnson
Aug 4, 2004, 08:43 AM
It's a scam - they get you to pay by wire transfer overseas using a ************ escrow service. If you ask him to use ebay's recommended escrow service (I believe it is escrow.com), he will probably not even bother replying to you.

Also a good point. Try it.

krimson
Aug 4, 2004, 08:45 AM
well, you should never use wire transfers anyways.

Fender2112
Aug 4, 2004, 09:23 AM
The best e-bay scam thread yet:

P-P-P-Powerbook!
http://www.mannequin3d.com/powerbook/

Maybe you could put your scam seller together with the scam buyer for the p-p-p-powerbook and they can scam each other into oblivion. :rolleyes:

Perhaps you could bait him long enough to see if he suggests an escrow service other than ebay's, then publicize the thread so people can see the precise anatomy of these scams - just for fun, of course! If you choose to do this, by all means keep us posted.

Anne Marie

That is hysterical. I pissed away an hour and half at work :D reading that. I wish I could have seen the scammers face when he open the package.