PDA

View Full Version : Does the concept of used software exist anymore?

Brother Michael
Aug 2, 2004, 06:13 PM
Seriously here,

Besides eBay is there anywhere that one can go to get used software for pretty cheap?

There is a lot of software that I might enjoy owning, I hate downloading software on P2P networks (I just feel wrong about it, that and it seems to be getting harder and harder to download it with the legal retaliation...) but I am getting tired of cutting off my limbs just to pay for them.

It seems like a double edge sword here, people pirate software becuase they cannot afford it, companies raise prices to offset the priracy, more people cannot afford it, more piracy occurs.

Any help?
Mike

jefhatfield
Aug 4, 2004, 12:23 PM
Seriously here,

Besides eBay is there anywhere that one can go to get used software for pretty cheap?

There is a lot of software that I might enjoy owning, I hate downloading software on P2P networks (I just feel wrong about it, that and it seems to be getting harder and harder to download it with the legal retaliation...) but I am getting tired of cutting off my limbs just to pay for them.

It seems like a double edge sword here, people pirate software becuase they cannot afford it, companies raise prices to offset the priracy, more people cannot afford it, more piracy occurs.

Any help?
Mike

where i live there is a gaming store and they sell a lot of used computer games, often without the box

isn't a computer game also a piece of software and subject to the same laws as a copy of microsoft windows or adobe illustrator? but since it's electronic boutique inc and thus a major store chain, maybe they have pull and authorities look the other way

if kids buy used games half the time, then that must really hurt the gaming industry companies who rely on new sales all the time to make a profit...if i wanted to i could literally become a gamer and not buy any new software...even new titles make it to the used bin very quickly since so many kids master even the toughest games in a short period of time

Leo Hubbard
Aug 4, 2004, 01:11 PM
There are some games with one time online registrations. You can never "legally" transfer ownership of the game again once it is registered.

seamuskrat
Aug 4, 2004, 05:38 PM
The problem exists when I sell you a software package, retain a copy installed or backed up on CD and then we both use it. Not only did I profit from some other companies work, but we both use the software.
Also, due to the cost of many office/pro apps, its rare for someone to buy, say Photoshop CS and then sell it off cheap unless a newer version is available. Often, to get the upgrade they need their old serial number and license so they need to hold onto the past investment.

With Mac software its even worse, as we have a small market. They feel that the costs are higher and/or the Mac users have more money and can be charged more.

Piracy hurts all of us. One of the benefits of the game world and many shareware apps is the demo mode. I often can decide if its worth my cash or not via a demo. Rarely have I used a demo, liked it and been dissappointed with the final product.

but the bottom line, if you cannot afford it, then seek another option. Look at it this way, a ferrari costs 180,000. If all you need is a car, buy a toyota for 14,000. A used Ferrari is still gonna cost a lot.

Look for cheaper alternatives. Most people do not need all the features of Photoshop. So, look at Canvas, Graphic Convertor,etc. As for Office, you pretty much need the Office package, but as a 'student' you get it for $99.00 so that is more than fair. I look for the alternative apps to fill my needs and often I am able to get all the functionality I need at a fraction of the cost.
Seriously here,

Any help?
Mike

virividox
Aug 4, 2004, 08:31 PM
there are conventions where u can get software swaped but not as much as before; i guess with the proliferation of pirated stuff people arent as keen to go around