Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

benbondu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 2, 2004
I just got an external display for my 12" powerbook. So I hooked up the 22" mitsubishi CRT via the mini-vga connector and powered it up. To my disappointment, however, the text is unacceptably blurry. It's a strain on my eyes to look at it longer than a few minutes. I was running 1600x1200 (75 and 85 Hz). When I scaled it down to 1200 something by 1000 something the text was better but I didn't get a 22" screen to only power 1200x1000. At first I thought it was the monitor since it's a refurbished, so I hooked my powerbook to another monitor (a much lower quality 17" CRT) and checked it out. I found that the text was still pretty blurry, much more so than it was when connected to the PC it usually belongs to. Then I connected the 22" to the PC and saw the picture was beautiful and the text was sharp (esp. compared to the mac). By now I'm starting to put things together.

Does anyone else have a similar experience connecting a pb to an analog CRT with the mini-vga connection? I have a rev.B 12" so it's a mini-dvi connector too. Is there that much signal loss with the extra connector and adapter? Any suggestions on what I can do?

stoid

macrumors 601
In the Appearance preference, mess around with the Font smoothing style and see if that helps. Is has different settings listed for LCD and CRT, so maybe that it what makes the text blurry. I've not done this myself though, so I don't know if it will help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.