PDA

View Full Version : G5 superdrive question

Wilson
Aug 2, 2004, 09:13 PM
I have a rev. A G5 dual 2.0 and when I insert cd's or dvd's in the superdrive, it seems to have troubles recognizing the disc. There's nothing wrong with the cd since it loaded up on a G4 dual 1.0 at work and it works perfectly fine on my iBook G3. I'm wondering if there is something wrong with my superdrive. The dvd's I use are by Maxell, so they aren't that cheap. The superdrive reads it, but takes some time. The regular cd's that I load in the superdrive is a no name brand but like I said, it works on all the other mac computers I use. I also inserted an IBM brand cd in the superdrive and it didn't recognize the cd at first. The second time I inserted it, it recognized it.

Anyone else experience these problems? I'm just wondering if it's a hardware issue with the superdrive.

Thanks.

jared_kipe
Aug 2, 2004, 09:50 PM
I haven't had any of these experiences. Is it only when you insert blank optical media, or even burned media too. Maybe has something to do with your default settings about what it is supposed to do when it finds a blank disk.

Wilson
Aug 2, 2004, 10:15 PM
I haven't had any of these experiences. Is it only when you insert blank optical media, or even burned media too. Maybe has something to do with your default settings about what it is supposed to do when it finds a blank disk.

Blank and burned media seems to have the same problem. The cd doesn't show up on the desktop. I would have to eject the cd and put it in again and sometimes this would work.

GUSTO
Aug 2, 2004, 10:45 PM
You may have to try a CD/DVD drive cleaner for your drive.

Wilson
Aug 2, 2004, 11:16 PM
You may have to try a CD/DVD drive cleaner for your drive.

How could that be possible? I just got the computer not too long ago. It's bascically a refurbished product (nearly new) that I bought from a apple reseller in Toronto.

You think I should bring it back there to have them look at it?

jared_kipe
Aug 2, 2004, 11:41 PM
Yeah, cleaner can't hurt cost a few dollars but I have fixed many a playstation 2 with that little disk with a brush on it.

How about non burned material?

Wilson
Aug 3, 2004, 01:25 AM
Yeah, cleaner can't hurt cost a few dollars but I have fixed many a playstation 2 with that little disk with a brush on it.

How about non burned material?

Burned and blank cd's seem to have the same problem. Will the cleaner do the job? Is this a common thing that happens? If I brought it back to the apple reseller where I bought my computer from, they wouldn't have to replace the superdrive or anything right?

GUSTO
Aug 3, 2004, 09:40 PM
If its still under warranty they should fix it. No harm in asking them?

jared_kipe
Aug 3, 2004, 10:07 PM
I wasn't refering to blank media, I meant a commercail cd or dvd. Something that hasn't seen this side of a non-commercial burner. Software that comes in a box.