PDA

View Full Version : Strange start up noise

Champale
Aug 2, 2004, 10:27 PM
And no, I don't mean the start up chime...

My apologies if a thread for this question exists already...I searched but couldn't find one.

Anyway, my brand spanking new 1.5 PB 15" arrived today. I opted for 1GB ram and a 5400 rpm HD from Hitachi.

It works flawlessly except when waking from sleep mode, it makes a funny little sound that I suspect is coming from the hard drive as it spins up.

There's no way to reproduce the sound (obviously) but it sort of resembles a brief series of chirps or clicking.

I am upsizing from a G3 iBook which has never made this sound. Is this common? Is it a problem?

Thanks for any help.

stoid
Aug 2, 2004, 10:29 PM
Does it wake up normally? If it's just a sound that you can live with, then, uhhh.... live with it. ;) :o

On the other hand, if it takes more than a beat or two to be running again, give Apple a call and talk to them about it. You spit out quite a chunk of cash for that beaut'. It better work great!

NusuniAdmin
Aug 2, 2004, 10:39 PM
When waking does it sound like a fan spinning up then maybe a click or two

If so this is normal for newer hd's. My IBM 60 gig ata drive does this when it clicks on.

here is kinda the sound...uhh...

spin up...........click..(maybe hd chirping right after)

arrowhead
Aug 2, 2004, 10:39 PM
This reminds me of H/D that I bought for my PC several years ago. When it got accessed and span, it made some funny noises. It was a Quantum (now Maxtor) drive. I didn't take it very seriously until one day, it just died completely. The worst part of it was that it died on its 31st day after I purchased from a local store that had 30-day money back guarantee, or exchange. So, instead I had to send it into Quantum for repair or replacement that I think really was a refurb.

Anyway, if you are sure that it is really coming from your H/D, I would send it in for exchange, repair, etc. I don't know what kind of funny noise you are talking about, but nonetheless, H/D is not really supposed to make that kind of noise.

Champale
Aug 2, 2004, 10:56 PM
Well, so far everything else seems to be working perfectly. I ran pixel checker and was gratified to see I had a perfect screen!

I may bring it in to the Apple Store to see if the techs think it's out of the norm.

But otherwise if everything else is working, I may just suck it up.

Thanks for the help!