PDA

View Full Version : New Powerbook!!! (I think)

Juswitched
Aug 3, 2004, 01:10 AM
Hey guys, I just got my powerbook 15 inch SD/512/128 9700 this morning and I have been using it all day (No joke, from 8:00 AM - 12 A.M, breaks for food). It is the nicest laptop I have ever had the pleasure of using. For some odd reason I feel that whenever I move it from room to room I will scratch it or something so I handle it with much care. I set up my linksys router without any headache but I have a few questions about my computer that I just cannot figure out, so try to bare with me :-)

1. Is it normal for a BRAND NEW powerbook to have a history in Safari with about 50 different websites? Could my machine possibly be a refurb or does Apple put those sites there purposely for my reference? They are sites like howstuffworks.com, MANY apple sites, ebay, google, etc... After looking at my powerbook from every possible angle and in every nook and cranny it is PERFECT. No dead pixels, scratches, wobbling, warping, NOTHING!! (Certainly doesn't look like a refurb)

2. On the same subject, as I was going through the finder and looking at some of the files, it shows the dates of modification and creation ranging from July 18, 2003 - May 20, 2004. Most of them are in the library (Frameworks, Perl, keyboard layouts, image capture, webserver, Python, quicktime) What gives?

3. I have many CD's that I started importing into itunes. My problem is that it shows the tracks as "track 1", "track 2", etc... What I am doing is going into the info of the track and changing the artist and title of song. Am I doing this right or is the computer suposed to automatically detect the names of the tracks?

4. I installed the latest firmware on my networked PC with the linksys router (WRT54G, which gives about 7 bars when upstairs in my room that is directly above the router) but is there any kind of firmware that I need for the powerbook?

5. Any recomendations for a good (cheap) USB mouse?

6. LASTLY, can you guys recomend me any software (preferably freeware) as there is a plethora of apps on versiontracker. I'm not quite sure what to get because there are so many. I already downloaded AIM, Poisoned (didn't like it), Acquisition (excellent!), and MacTheRipper.

Sorry for the long post. If anyone can answer any of my questions it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

virividox
Aug 3, 2004, 01:22 AM
ill just comment on the apps

you might want to try konfabulator (you have to pay), VLC for watching avi, asf, wmv files, onyx or cocktail to run maintenance apps, candy bar to fiddle with icons

adium for a joint im client

Ajmbc
Aug 3, 2004, 01:25 AM

Under the advanced menu in iTunes, there is a "Get CD Track Names" menu item- if you have your cd selected and click this button- iTunes will go on the internet and get you your cd track names.

Glad you're enjoying your new powerbook!
-aj

Kingsnapped
Aug 3, 2004, 01:33 AM
1) Yeah, they're in there so autocomplete has some apple-approved sites. eBay, howstuff works, store.apple.com... they're all on there to keep your address bar company.

2) An app that was last modified (new version, etc) will show up with that date as it's "last modified". Makes it a pain when looking for new apps that you installed.

3) Are you connected to the internet while importing? iTunes usually automatically checks the GraceNote CDDB for track names and info. Make sure this preference is not turned off, and you are in fact online.

4) Sorry, I know nothing about router-ing.

5) What kind of mouse do you want? One button, 8 button? If you don't care, just go to Best Buy.

6) Windows Media Player, VLC (plays media files), folding@home (http://www.folding.stanford.edu)(fold for team Mac Rumors!), Captain FTP, iStumbler, PithHelmet (Safari ad-blocker) and Wiretap are my favorite downloaded apps. You can find all of those, save folding, at versiontracker.

C-Mezak
Aug 3, 2004, 01:34 AM
1. Is it normal for a BRAND NEW powerbook to have a history in Safari with about 50 different websites? Could my machine possibly be a refurb or does Apple put those sites there purposely for my reference? They are sites like howstuffworks.com, MANY apple sites, ebay, google, etc... After looking at my powerbook from every possible angle and in every nook and cranny it is PERFECT. No dead pixels, scratches, wobbling, warping, NOTHING!! (Certainly doesn't look like a refurb)

Congrats on your purchase!! I just got a new 12" and Im stoked!

Ill take a stab at this first one. Are you certain that you're talking about the history and not simply about the bookmarks? Safari often comes loaded with bookmarks for common websites.

Charlie

TreeHugger
Aug 3, 2004, 01:53 AM
4. I installed the latest firmware on my networked PC with the linksys router (WRT54G, which gives about 7 bars when upstairs in my room that is directly above the router) but is there any kind of firmware that I need for the powerbook?

Did you install the firmware onto the router from your pc, or did you install the firmware for your wirless card on your pc? (sorry it's 3 am so I'm a bit to tired to figure out what you said :)

I dont think you need to install any firmware for the Airport card, just do a software update and see if there aree any updates relating to the Airport card.

Enjoy your new PB!

comictimes
Aug 3, 2004, 01:57 AM
hm.. I feel like I'm getting kind of repetetive, the number of times I've recommended this. oh well. I once again strongly suggest that you download side track (http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/12800). It makes the time you spend using your trackpad infintely better.

DJY
Aug 3, 2004, 02:15 AM
I'll second the recommendations above
Sidetrack - is a must
VLC - is a must
Adium is a great program! Say away from MSN Messenger for Mac (yuck!)

I don't use Entourage either - I bought Office and Toast straight away - and love both!

Oh and I also just HAD to go get an iSight, and an Airport Express!!!!
God I love Apple!

Squire
Aug 3, 2004, 08:13 AM
Congrats on the new machine.

Yeah, make sure you're connected to the Internet when you're importing CDs. Also, make sure you've decided how you want to import your tracks: AAC or mp3? 128 kbps or higher? (That's in iTunes Preferences--> importing, by the way.)

I'll echo the praise for VLC. As someone in another thread mentioned, it plays everything.

Squire

Juswitched
Aug 3, 2004, 10:57 AM
Thanks for the replies. Yea that was it, I wasn't connected to the internet when trying to rip the cd's. I will download sidetrack and adium now and see how they are.

realityisterror
Aug 3, 2004, 11:13 AM

it is normal, like others have said, but no one has mentioned how to get rid of those bookmarks... go to bookmarks --> show all bookmarks and then select the bookmarks you don't want, and delete them (with the delete key no less)

reality

Juswitched
Aug 3, 2004, 03:53 PM
I have one more question and it may be a dumb one but here it goes. I have an AOL account and would like to use it with the Apple Mail program. It asks what the incoming mail server is, it asks me my account type (POP, IMAP, or Exchange), and it asks me my user name, password, and outgoing mail server (SMTP). I have no idea what I am supose to put in those fields. If anyone knows that would be great. Thanks.