Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bflagstad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 25, 2009
When I plug my Canon HFS10 into my MacBook Pro via USB the OS mounts the camera as a USB drive with the name CANON and I am able to move files but when I fire up iMovie '09 it only sees the iSight Camera and gives no other options. I thought it might be a software issue so I used my mother-in-laws MacBook and she is running iMovie '08. Both of our machines are running Snow Leopard.

This camera has worked fine on my MacBook Pro in the past. Any ideas? I called Canon and they walked me through their normal steps but that didn't help.

I have my daughters play on this camera and would really like to start editing it in iMovie so any help would be apprciated.

Thanks,

Bud

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Does it see the files if you move them to the hard drive? If it does can't you bring the files in and start editing them from the hard drive? Without the need to bring them in from the camera directly?

xStep

macrumors 68020
Jan 28, 2003
Less lost in L.A.
Does it see the files if you move them to the hard drive? If it does can't you bring the files in and start editing them from the hard drive? Without the need to bring them in from the camera directly?

You can't do that because iMovie does not understand the files when dragged to the hard drive.

xStep

macrumors 68020
Jan 28, 2003
Less lost in L.A.
iMovie doesn't understand how to handle the files from the camera without the hint files that are on the camera, so you let iMovie communicate with the camera. This is just how Apple has implemented it. There are tools to handle those files. Note also that Apple converts those files to something friendlier to editing.

You can bring in outside footage. iMovie can import certain types and not others. Amongst those others are the cameras AVCHD files.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
iMovie doesn't understand how to handle the files from the camera without the hint files that are on the camera, so you let iMovie communicate with the camera. This is just how Apple has implemented it. There are tools to handle those files. Note also that Apple converts those files to something friendlier to editing.

You can bring in outside footage. iMovie can import certain types and not others. Amongst those others are the cameras AVCHD files.

Copy..... Any suggestions then? I am kind of stumped. You can see the Harddrive/folder but not the contents. What format did you shoot it in?

What about importing the footage on your moms computer save it/export it and then bring in the footage to your computer? I know it sucks as a work around...but.

Have you tried another USB port? Are you using a USB hub by any chance?

xStep

macrumors 68020
Jan 28, 2003
Less lost in L.A.
rhett7660, I'm not the one with the problem, so you should have directed your dual response accordingly. ;)

I'm also stumped of why the OP is suddenly having such an issue. Note that when he mentioned using his mother-in-laws MacBook, he didn't actually tell us if it worked or not.

I'd think back to any updates or new software I've added and try to eliminate those as causes. I'd also create a new account and try that. The other thing to do is to make sure all the software is up todate.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
rhett7660, I'm not the one with the problem, so you should have directed your dual response accordingly. ;)

I'm also stumped of why the OP is suddenly having such an issue. Note that when he mentioned using his mother-in-laws MacBook, he didn't actually tell us if it worked or not.

I'd think back to any updates or new software I've added and try to eliminate those as causes. I'd also create a new account and try that. The other thing to do is to make sure all the software is up todate.

Oh I know you are not the OP..... :)

bflagstad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 25, 2009
It didn't work on my mother-in-laws MacBook either. What I ended up doing is pulling the files off the camera directly and then converted them using Toast. This is frustrating because this camera used to connect right to iMovie and life was easy. This approach is slow and a workflow hassle.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.