PDA

View Full Version : iPod/iTunes newbie

mojo2go
Aug 3, 2004, 11:43 AM
I have music in my iTunes library that I would like to transfer from my desktop HP PC to my brand new G4 15" Powerbook. Sadly, the CD burner no longer works on my desktop & as I just found out, I can't transfer/upload tunes from my iPod to my Powerbook.

Is there a way to get that music out of my PC iTunes into my Powerbook? The manual says that if/when I change formats w/iPod (i.e going from PC to Mac) - I'll need to restore the drive & therefore lose all my current iPod tunes.

Will iTunes allow me to save the songs on a USB 2 memory stick? If so - can someone provides steps to download from the PC and then upload to my PB?

OR - Maybe I'm missing it - is there a way to access ALL the songs in my iTunes library at once that have been purchased on the two different machines?

Any insight will be appreciated. Thanks,
MJ

JeDiBoYTJ
Aug 3, 2004, 11:51 AM
you can simply network the 2 computers together, then drag and drop your iTunes music folder on your PC, to your Mac.

complete instructions on networking Windows and Mac can be found..... right about....... ->here (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=54704)

Zaty
Aug 3, 2004, 11:54 AM
I have music in my iTunes library that I would like to transfer from my desktop HP PC to my brand new G4 15" Powerbook. Sadly, the CD burner no longer works on my desktop & as I just found out, I can't transfer/upload tunes from my iPod to my Powerbook.

Is there a way to get that music out of my PC iTunes into my Powerbook? The manual says that if/when I change formats w/iPod (i.e going from PC to Mac) - I'll need to restore the drive & therefore lose all my current iPod tunes.

Will iTunes allow me to save the songs on a USB 2 memory stick? If so - can someone provides steps to download from the PC and then upload to my PB?

OR - Maybe I'm missing it - is there a way to access ALL the songs in my iTunes library at once that have been purchased on the two different machines?

Any insight will be appreciated. Thanks,
MJ

You can copy your iTunes library manually to your memory stick. On your PC, your iTunes library should reside in MyMusic/iTunes. When you connect your stick to your PB, open iTunes on your Mac and click on File/Add to Library. Then select the iTunes Library on your stick. iTunes will copy your songs into its library.

mojo2go
Aug 3, 2004, 12:03 PM
Thanks, Zaty!
Sounds easy & I think that will do the trick.
MJ

PS -- also: JeDiBoYTJ...thanks for the networking links. They will come in handy.

jsw
Aug 3, 2004, 12:15 PM
While I'm not certain this works Mac<->PC, if you go into iTunes->Preferences->Sharing (probably a similar place on Windows 'Tunes), you can enable sharing. This works only if both systems are on and networked.

Note: if you decide to stop using either system (permanently with regards to iTunes), be sure to deauthorize it (Mac iTunes app: Advanced->Deauthorize Computer...).

jsw
Aug 3, 2004, 12:21 PM
Further note: it doesn't matter which system you bought the tunes on. All that matters is whether or not your computer is authorized. Since there's a limit to how many can be (3, I think - might be 5), deauthorize systems that won't be playing the tunes anymore so as not to lose the ability to play them on newer systems (you get three authorizations, which never expire unless specifically deauthorized from the authorized system itself - meaning you need to be careful, else, unless you burn songs to CD and back, you won't be able to listen to tunes you buy now in ten years - assuming you'll be on your fourth system by then...).

mojo2go
Aug 3, 2004, 03:52 PM
Thanks JSW for the info...although my home computers are not yet networked -- in the process, hopefully before the end of the month. (I may be posting more questions then!)

As for authorization -- I believe it is up to 5.

I did check to see the iTunes sharing option on my work PC & it is there. Will keep you posted.

mojo2go
Aug 6, 2004, 12:32 PM
For what it's worth, using the USB memory stick is the fastest and easiest transfer method for me.

Now - on to the next challenge! :D