Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zcamann

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2004
Hello,
I just bought a powerbook with a 9700 graphics card with 128 MB from Apple (not some outlet). I ran tech tool pro 4.0.2 right when I got my computer and it detected a 9600 card inside my machine. I bought the powerbook directly from Apple. I was wondering if there is anyother way I can find out what kind of card I have or if anyone else with a powerbook, ati 9700, and tech tool pro could run a quick diagnostic test and see what happens.
I tried looking in System profiler, but nothing it did not say what model graphics card I had.
I called apple and they said that there is no way it could be a 9600 because they do not even ship them anymore. But I'm suspicious that I might have gotten a leftover 9600 chip and they thought I wouldn't notice. Either that or Tech tool pro does not support 9700 graphics cards.

:confused:

FriarCrazy

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2004
Ames, IA/Eden Prairie, MN
You have a mobility 9700 no matter what the utility says. This has happened to other people, it's just a fluke. Your graphics card is a mobility 9700, which is in fact very similar to a desktop 9600 (as it only has four pipes). The utility you are using is simply confused, perhaps you could find one that is more up to date. There is no possible way for Apple to have given you the wrong video card, don't worry about it. You might wan't to search the forums for more info, I remember someone else had the same issue a few weeks ago (Note: Could have been on a different forum).

osprey76

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2004
Oklahoma City, OK
You have the right card. ATi's naming scheme between their desktop line and their laptop line is kind of convoluted. I recall reading a Mobility 9700 is equivalent to a Desktop 9600, but they'd already released a Mobility 9600. So, perhaps they will get it straightened out with the X800 series.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.