PDA

View Full Version : End of the Powermac G4?

nslyax
Aug 3, 2004, 04:23 PM
I noticed today that the Powermac G4 no longer has it's own page, but has been moved to the "Special Deals" page on Apple's site. Also, it seems only the single 1.25 model is available.

Duff-Man
Aug 3, 2004, 04:27 PM
Duff-Man says....old news....months ago now Apple indicated that the Powermac G4 would only be sold "while supplies last".....oh yeah!

Mord
Aug 3, 2004, 05:58 PM
one small step for ibm, one giant leap for mac freak kind.

thehuncamunca
Aug 3, 2004, 06:02 PM
personally i think apple should keep the G4 powermac around but lower the price

apple does not have a desktop that is upgradeable that is under $2000, the G4 powermac could be reduced to $800 (same price apple sells emac) so that apple would have more on low to mid end

Mord
Aug 3, 2004, 06:20 PM
the trouble is that a g5 cpu costs less than a g4 cpu basically because motorola sucks, a g4 cannot be a value cpu it was a high price for high performence but now it is dead in the water and should be laid to rest.

Macmaniac
Aug 3, 2004, 08:08 PM
Its being phased out because the G5 headless iMac is on its way;)

Mord
Aug 4, 2004, 09:25 AM
there will be no headless g5 imac

it would suffer the same fate as the cube

Toe
Aug 4, 2004, 09:43 AM
I was just going to comment on that... Now the Apple Store main page says "Buy now while supplies last."

Truly, this is the final nail in the coffin of OS 9. And 'bout time, too. People sure have been reluctant to give it up. It does work perfectly fine and all... as long as you're willing to remain stuck in the last millennium.

friarbayliff
Aug 4, 2004, 10:06 AM
It simply comes down to that in spite of the fact that people still use older macs, including the g4, there is absolutely no incentive to continue manufacturing the old line - if someone wants an old mac, they can simply buy it for cheap off of someone selling their old system and upgrading to the newer and better products. I would think that the population of people who are in the market for a brand-spanking-new g4 is painfully small. Apple wants to remain competitive in this business - they're doing what any other competent company would do - phasing out stuff that won't turn a profit any more.

Toe
Aug 4, 2004, 10:13 AM
I would think that the population of people who are in the market for a brand-spanking-new g4 is painfully small.I think that is only recently true. A lot of printers and publishing houses have been stuck in Quark 4 forever. Also, many larger corporations aren't too keen on buying used computers.

I imagine there are still a bunch of publishing companies that use Quark 5, 4, or even 3. But now they will have to wake up and smell the unix. :D

Toe
Sep 15, 2004, 04:25 PM
And now it's totally, 100%, completely gone. Almost. http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0409powermacg4.html

FuzzyBallz
Sep 15, 2004, 05:11 PM
I just gave my G4 Dual 1.25G / Crucial 1GB RAM / WD 80GB/8MB away. Next up, the clear 20" Cinema. This G5 needs a matching alum 23" Cinema.